​[SOLVED] How to copy just the border of an object?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by IBsenoj, Aug 8, 2014.

1. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

Hey I have another quick question,

So some of you might know I'm trying to get a car in BeamNG, I have the entire car done, BUT I want to tweak it and make it pretty.

So I am trying to remodel the windshield, but It's very finicky. I basically need to keep the border of the windshield, But then I will remodel the rest of it.

I need the know how to keep only the border, so copying the border and pasting it somewhere else does not work, (because it keeps all the other parts with it)

Here's a picture before: windshield_before.png

and here's a pic of the border selected, I want only the border and nothing else. windshield_border selected.png

[SOLVED]

Convert to an editable poly -> select the border -> press "create shape" -> enter a name and press ok. Now the border is saved/copied as a new spline-object.

#1 IBsenoj, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Re: How to copy just the border of an object?

I really don't know, and I am amazed that no one has a solution...or else they just don't want to help. But I will try googling it for you and see if I can find a solution...I too have run into a situation like this, actually, the same piece of a car (around the windshield) and never quite figured out how to basically copy and scale it up a smidge so I can continue to frame the windshield surround, a-pillars, etc.

3. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm, that is an interesting question. I use blender so I can't offer you a keyboard shortcut, but I what about:

1. Enter edit mode (or its equivalent in 3Dmax)
    2. Select all the nodes inside the window
    3. Delete those nodes
    4. Press A to highlight all the nodes
    5. Ctrl + C
    ???
    Profit!

4. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for trying, :) But as I said in the post above I've already done that.

But I went to a separate forum and here are the instructions that worked for me.

Convert to an editable poly -> select the border -> press "create shape" -> enter a name and press ok. Now the border is saved/copied as a new spline-object.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice