1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

0.10 Update: Sounds Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1), Aug 9, 2017.

1. Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)

Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)
    Expand Collapse

Please view this thread on my group on how the update changed the sounds, and how my soundpack just got screwed:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/0-10-update-discussion-what-is-happening-to-the-sound-pack.44086/

I nicely ask the developers to choose a different way of doing these sounds. I rather have just one sound file where all the sounds are defined to each engine, and can be edited easily instead of in the engine.jbeam. Like I said in my thread, this way of handling the sounds might cause compatibly issues for people who don't like the stock sounds, and want to change them. Will you guys change this?

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Sad to hear you are so upset, but it's understandable.
    Although, breaking sound mods was not intended, in fact we have been testing them to make sure they would still work.
    Although something seems to have broken very recently, and now these mods are not working.

We have said countless times we are always trying our best to not break any sort of mod, and what happened, let me repeat it again, was not meant to happen.
    Sbeam were meant to still be perfectly usable (and actually the easier way for you to create audio mods).

We are currently checking what happened.

3. Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)

Expand Collapse

I know the developers don't want to break mods, but I think just how the sound system changed just make it more difficult for everyone. Firstly, modders will have a hard time replace sounds, and secondly developers have to go through the engine.jbeam to add in sounds, rather than just a nicely simplified separate file that everyone can benefit from. Let us know what the devs say.

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Modders are meant to still be using .SBEAM as far as I know.
    The .JBEAM stuff you are seeing is, yes, much more complicated, but is also mainly meant for us. If one is brave enough, then sure try to use them, else stick to the good old .SBEAM :)

That's why I said we didn't meant to break the .SBEAM stuff in first place.

5. Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)

Expand Collapse

Oh, is that is what is going on. Oh, this makes more sense now. I thought since the new sound system was in place, that the stock vehicles would default to that, and not use the .sbeam system, which modded vehicles still use, and work perfectly fine.

6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Good that we cleared the confusion.
    We will let know about this, as we are currently checking.

• Like Like x 8
  7. 440cid

440cid
    Expand Collapse

I can confirm that normal sbeam files are still working but you need custom engine that doesn't have any soundConfig in the jbeam. I'm quite disappointed that I can't replace stock vehicle sound without creating a custom engine.

I hate the current inline 4 idle sound. It sounds like a construction noise. The V8_2 (older V8) idle sound could use some improvement too, it's too mild compared to the rest of the stock vehicle idle sounds.

Hopefully there will sound modding tutorials by the devs that teaches us the full potential of the new audio system.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. on3cherryshake

on3cherryshake
    Expand Collapse

I noticed that my version of the game has password protection in all of the "audio.zip" files, is there a password I can't know? Is my game just broken? Or can I know the password? xD

9. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

I would like to know this too, to understand how the new system works

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

The audio files in there need to be locked due to their license sadly :(

• Informative Informative x 7
  11. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

ah, that makes sense :)

12. on3cherryshake

on3cherryshake
    Expand Collapse

Liscence? Hmm... Were they recorded bu you guys or did you have a company do it? Or are they from a game, like Forza?

Oh, and can we ever get access to change them for your own files?

13. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

welp, mark this as another update that broke lots of mods. first i remember was with the pressure wheels, then the powertrain, and now this. the monster truck has been quieted with this update

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. NinetyNine!

NinetyNine!
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Artist
    BeamNG Team

okay, so is there an actual way to still have more than one sound using sbeams? like for example : two mods have two different sbeams for the same car. is it possible for the sounds to have an unique ID and maybe even be used in separate folders? (so if one mod has sound for a special custom engine but you want to use another one too) i know this wasnt possible before and its been something ive been waiting for for quite a long time.

15. Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)

Expand Collapse

I asked @SergentFido about this a while back, this is what he replied. I am pretty sure this still works.
    Screenshot_4.png

16. NinetyNine!

NinetyNine!
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Artist
    BeamNG Team

still, it has to be all set up in one sbeam (or basically ; one 'sounds' folder is allowed, which has one sbeam.)

17. supra4life

supra4life
    Expand Collapse

I dont really know how to word this but the sound is alittle "off-portion" Some of it is too quiet and some is too loud.

18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

New sound is wonderful, was the first thing I've noticed beside the preview pictures update, also seen that you updated the node puller (CTRL key) UI interface a little. At-least my map isn't broken this time :)
    A little bass-heavy on some cars, and possibly too muffled from the interior, like a pillow is over the ears, some of those higher-frequency noises get through the engine firewall/sound insulation, but just not nearly as obvious with the sound deadening in the game. - about 64~68 db of sound (for all sound heard while driving), for cars and trucks interior sound levels from the 80s, 90s as per MOTORWEEK (on youtube), retro-reviews. Seems like it's a bit TOO muffled, the cut-off frequency is too low on the sound, or it's just too loud, not completely sure here. I will have to check it out on my sound analyzer.
    Though, I will say, when the muffler fell off of my 94 Civic, it surely did sound like that 88 Pessima! I set car alarms off with it driving through the ghetto.
    I do understand the difference of sound from the observer being inside OR outside the car, it does offer some real feedback audio-wise.
    *Motorweek's observation for sound was usually done at motorway/highway speed cruising.

FWIW I do have a Soundblaster sound card in here, so maybe that's where the issue is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. SergentFido

SergentFido
    Expand Collapse

Ah, just tested my oldsfullsize mod and my custom sounds and sbeams are still working on my end.

And i have the CRD monster truck with his angry V8 sounds as before as well. Weird what happens to some of you. Some mod conflicts ?

I'm not speaking here about sound mods for official cars, but muted sounds on custom engines and mods.

#19 SergentFido, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  20. on3cherryshake

on3cherryshake
    Expand Collapse

Okay, so here's my 2 cents after driving the Grand Marshal around for a bit. I love the V8 on that thing, it sounds like a Crown Vic had a baby with the HEMI and a 5.5L monster was born. But, I agree with everything @bob.blunderton said. A bit too muffled on the interior. And the exterior sounds could use a lot more treble, they sounds really muffled. The only other thing is that the starter and sounds are a bit quiet for my taste. Other than that, I love the sound.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice