0-60 & top-speed readout?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Sithhy™, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Now, my idea isn't original, but I thought BeamNG could use such a feature that Forza games have, & that feature is the info panel when tweaking the car which displays all the 0-60, top speed, braking distance etc. numbers. It's a useful feature & would love to see it ingame because as of right now the only way to know the top speed of a car is to accelerate it manually & the built-in way of knowing the performance info is limited to the default cars & not customs configs as well. The thought popped into my head when I reminded myself that the UI will receive a rework & that speed readout would fit rather nicely into it :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Think about it, how do you get these things in real life?
    Right, you measure them. Why is that? Because there is no other way, you can't "calculate" it (accurately).
    The same thing applies here, we simply can't tell these things upfront.
    Even the data in the vehicle selector is measured that way, we literally test every single config in an automated test and record the relevant data points.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Well, that's not 100% true... you can get to within about a 10th of a second... but yes, you are correct... it takes an immense amount of calculations to create a result like that.

That's how I got the time calculators to work on my vehicle calculation spreadsheet... but there is an entire spreadsheet dedicated to nothing but calculating numbers and parameters... so much so that its almost stupid.

Plus side though is that it is real world tested and real world verified (well... with 2 cars I own at least...) I couldn't measure 0-60, but I did get quarter mile times when I went drag racing... got the same numbers as my spreadsheet (after quite a few runs that is) right down to the 10th of a second.

Having just said all that though, I would agree... it is literally easier to just test the car than try and calculate everything.

For anyone who isn't familiar with what I am talking about...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wJw9iVlgfVFJ11cIQhGLIKAHDYO-mQNr/view?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tJOcTMKLkk79pPgg6oBUxNziTmgrF_0ePVUmgfrxziU/edit?usp=sharing

4. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

I remember at first someone on the dev team said the performance stats readout would be generated based on the car info, not manually inputted.

But i agree, considering specially beamng, anything can change those stats, incluiding the type of asphalt you try it in, and if each map got a different air pressure and temperature, the stats would change all the time.

5. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Yes it's "generated" in the way that the car is actually tested by an automated test.

6. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Nice work :)
    However, I'll have to disagree. I don't think a dragstrip is a good example for this, wheels are one the big factors in acceleration, if you remove that factor by having much higher grip than normal, things like AWD, traction control, weight shifting etc become a lot less relevant than they are on normal roads.
    Of course "technically" the game itself is only a calculation, but that's not what this is about.
    Point being: It's not possible for us to accurately predict the outcome of a part change without actually installing and testing that part.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Maybe, but either i got it as, or i recall hearing, that it would be generated automatically in a car by car basis, incluiding mods, but that was a long time ago.

8. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Since I'm the person responsible for these things you probably misunderstood something ;)
    I mean, what you say is not wrong, you just seem to interpret it a bit wrong. The "generation" is an automated test that drives the car around.

9. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Could be. My brain is selective. Im gonna take the chance to snoop around and ask when will the car be ready for release?

10. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

When it's ready of course.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Valve time is it?

12. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

I actually do take tire grip of different kinds of tires, drivetrain type (AWD, RWD, FWD), traction control (in a way), best shift points, air resistance, rolling resistance... pretty much the whole 9 yards...

And while normally I would agree, drag racing isn't the greatest comparison because a prepped track will have WAY more grip, I live in a small town and we do our racing on just some random, single runway airport that we shut down for the day. So we don't have much better traction than a normal road. Thus the only reason I use it as a comparison...

I will agree though... trying to take into account EVERY surface type, headwinds, side winds, road roughness (like potholes and what not), and who knows what else... it just can't be done in a reasonable fashion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice