1969 Ford 100 Restoration (Story Time)

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by EDit232 2, Sep 4, 2016.

1. EDit232 2

EDit232 2
    Expand Collapse

On my 12th Christmas, my grandfather gave me his 1969 Ford 100 pickup truck. It was redone twice over the course of 30 years and has never let him down. I've been wanting to work on this truck ever since I first got it, sadly, my dad didn't have the time (even though he always does) to drive me to where it was parked. After waiting for 2 and 1/2 years we finally started on it. This truck is real special to me because it had a significant mark on my family until one day when someone left and never came back. Now (with me getting a permit in Feb) I finally started working on it. I put a not-so-fresh battery in it just to see if I could start it. At the time this truck has been sitting for 13+ years and hasn't moved since. The truck was free and everything electrically pretty much worked which was good. Keep in mind I didn't do much this day and this was only the first day of this process.

The second day of the process however was very good, much has been done. The plow, which was on the front, was removed and set off to the side. I cleaned 1 spark plug and the ignition points. After getting some gas in the solid tank and some starting fluid in the carb, the 390CUI sparked to life with knocking and pinging and hardly any smoke from the exhaust. I was so proud of myself and the truck continues to run only if jumper cables are hooked on the battery. My dad pulled it forward and we took the plow off. The garbage and old parts on the back were just tossed to the side. This truck ran, started, moved. It was great to experience a feeling. Surprisingly, the motor was actually healthy even though i had to run it without any coolant.

I can't wait to see day 3 next week... It's also a real shame I can't upload videos here...

1969 ford f100 390 spark plug.jpg 1969 ford f100.jpg 1969 ford f100 no plow.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  2. Iro

Iro
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Nice!
    I can't wait to see the next step in this restoration!

3. EDit232 2

EDit232 2
    Expand Collapse

Day 3 came sooner than expected. I had to compile a list of necessities and what it really NEEDS just to pass a PA state inspection.

69 parts and needs

Battery
    Front alignment
    Battery tray
    New belts
    Bed
    Brakes
    Carb gaskets
    Valve cover gaskets
    Windshield wiper fluid box
    Wiper fluid
    Battery cables
    Floor pans
    Roof
    Headlight assemblies both side
    Wires for steering column
    Wipers
    Carb adjustments
    Tires
    Rims
    Green paint to go with original door
    White paint for trim
    A seat
    Weather seals
    Bondo removal
    Various patches
    Doors (maybe)
    Air filter
    Oil filter •
    Oil change
    Weather strips
    Battery terminal hook-ups
    Radiator support (fixer)
    Antifreeze

• Like Like x 1
  4. titantls

titantls
    Expand Collapse

Its nice, are you going to change/add anything or leave it stock? Anyway good luck! Always nice to see people restore trucks.

5. EDit232 2

EDit232 2
    Expand Collapse

Well, it already has some aftermarket things such as the right fender and left door. However I do plan to make of look as original as possible with the green paint and white trim.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bison

Bison
    Expand Collapse

So does PA have an antique plate system? Interesting endeavor, looking forward to seeing more.

7. EDit232 2

EDit232 2
    Expand Collapse

It does! If your car is 100% original, from factory, you will a receive a plate issued by the state. The plate is purple and it says in white text "PA. ANTIQUE HISTORIC CAR". The newer plates are white with purple text that say "CLASSIC CAR".

8. Bison

Bison
    Expand Collapse

Huh, 100% original. I'm glad I'm in Kansas.

9. EDit232 2

EDit232 2
    Expand Collapse

Lucky, even though its hot and dry there. Dryness in the atmosphere prevents rust.

10. EDit232 2

EDit232 2
    Expand Collapse

Day 4 has arrived! I have received an old battery from pap that died years ago and i didnt check to see if it worked or not. I have some bald tires that hold air very well. The radiator holds and does not leak at all. I found some carb gaskets and maybe some body mounts. The front two wheels are off and only one tire has been replaced so far. The plow frame is completely gone and the original white bumper is going to be put back on as soon as i can find the right size bolts for it.

69 no plow frame..JPG

#10 EDit232 2, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  11. EDit232 2

EDit232 2
    Expand Collapse

Here are some more days.... I've nearly abandoned this but I did some work. My accelerator pump spews gas everywhere so for now there is a t-shirt stuck under it. The master cylinder was really bad so i ripped one off of an 80's style econoline and it fit perfectly. The truck runs without any knocking or pinging and it was stuck for the longest time and after 16 years it finally moved. I also found this sweet belt buckle in my glove box!

Attached Files:

• Carb.JPG
    • Econoline Master Cylinder (far away).JPG
    • Econoline Master Cylinder.JPG
    • Old Master Cylinder.JPG
    • 1969 ford f100 moved.JPG
    • Ford MVP Belt buckle.JPG
  12. EDit232 2

EDit232 2
    Expand Collapse

Man i wish i could upload videos on this site. I have gotten the truck to move once more with hardly any issue. If sitting for too long the carb gets some nasty things in it and takes a bit to start. I have a brand new parking spot and the bumper and rear lights have been taken off.

Attached Files:

• newparkingspot.jpg
  13. Carlover0529

Carlover0529
    Expand Collapse

Great job so far, especially for being only on a permit. When I was 15, my cousin Kate had a 1959 Ford Thunderbird, black with white and black interior. The body was in okay shape with a little rust on it and the motor I'd say was around the condition yours was in when you got the truck. My uncle for some reason couldn't figure out that to get it running it just needed what you have given your truck so they sold it for $400 knowing I was going to be needing a car soon. Still angry about that but I have my Lexus now so can't complain. Good luck on the truck, my grandfather wishes you luck too (he has a mint 82 F100 and 64/5 F100).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bison

Bison
    Expand Collapse

Nice to see that you're still working on this. Have fun, you seem to be doing well, and that belt buckle is sweet. My '55 sat in a garage for probably close to 20 years and it still sometimes start weird, but once the gunk gets out of the tank it will start a whole lot better.

15. 2000ToyotaCorolla

2000ToyotaCorolla
    Expand Collapse

16. EDit232 2

EDit232 2
    Expand Collapse

No sadly, winter has come and put a hault on the project. The only thing that was done was the bumper removal along with the lights and trim on the rear.

17. 2000ToyotaCorolla

2000ToyotaCorolla
    Expand Collapse

ok, good luck in spring

18. EDit232 2

EDit232 2
    Expand Collapse

ITS NICE AND WARM. My birthday is coming on Monday and I'm thinking tomorrow or Sunday I can finally get the truck home. It sat all winter with one wheel off. I can't put it back on because my four-way and lugs were stolen (idk why they were junk). But a parking spot is being made behind my shed and the bed will soon be removed.

19. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

20. EDit232 2

EDit232 2
    Expand Collapse

I try to keep youtube from personal things. The lawnmower i built was an exception

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice