WIP 1983 Audi quattro

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by Zappymouse, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Patience is a virtue.

Everything below this line is old post.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

A lot of you will be saying "You've made the wrong version of the Quattro omfg why"

The wheelbase of the 1985 Quattro gives me the willies, that's why.

This is not onyx_PL's/Mythbuster's Audi 80.
    I will not make a police version.
    I will not make a taxi version.
    I will not skin it in Group B vinyls.
    I will not make a track version.
    I will not drop an RB26 in the engine bay.
    I will uh, add "fullsik" blow off valve sounds.
    I will not lower, add camber, "slam", "stance", or apply non-factory parts to it.
    I might model the Group B S2 version.
    The steering wheel will be on the correct side of the car. Read: Right hand side ;)

Excuse the mess.

(imported from here)

I've made an insane amount of modelling errors, and I don't know how to fix them. How do I smooth the bumper without losing definition of the harder edges? What the hell's up with the bit near the door handle? Any help would be appreciated.

#1 Zappymouse, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Re: 1980 Audi Quattro

Can you make a tuned version plox?

Anyway for your question try (if using Blender +2.5):

Set smooth
    Set an EDGE SPLIT modifier (Don't apply it till you are done with everything, and make sure the SHARP EDGE is selected. Tune the value to your likely, I suggest 40-50 as you are making the hard edges manually)
    Edge mode (TAB in edit mode), select the edge you want to be "hard"
    press CTRL+E
    Mark sharp

(imported from here)

And if you want to fix the errors you made, delete those part and remake them from zero. Best way.

3. JAM3SwGAM3S

JAM3SwGAM3S
    Expand Collapse

You absolute legend i love this car thanks so much for creating it :D cant wait to see it finished

4. roy99669

roy99669
    Expand Collapse

I love the details in the lights. Great car you made there, good luck with the further progress.

5. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Why would this be the wrong version of the Quattro? :p The long wheelbase coupe looks much cooler. Mine was the wrong version :p

As for the model: The headlights and grille look really good, the rest is a bit messy, but the overall shape and poly placement seems fine, so I'm sure you'll get there :)

As far as I'm concerned you can take parts off of "my" model, even though Onyx_PL modeled it originally, I'm sure he won't mind either. I know a lot of the parts are different, but I think the hood, front windshield area, inner fenders/radiator support and front of the doors are the same. If you think you can use any of it, you've got my permission :). Just don't use the Quattro engine. I modeled that based on Onyx_PLs high poly engine, but I have strong suspicion that his high poly version was a standard SLR:R engine(I only found out about this myself recently) .

About your "I will not..." list... Don't they have a turbo and blow-off-valve from factory? Cause if they don't, I made a mistake on mine. I know the Delta HF Integrales had one? As for the rest on that list: fully agreed, don't ruin this with aftermarket crap. And I do think the S2 would be pretty epic, or maybe only some parts from the "Ur-Quattro"(grille or something).

#5 Mythbuster, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  6. luke198

luke198
    Expand Collapse

comment removed due to pictures not copying correctly :(

7. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

This is my favorite car of all time.

8. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Aw crap. Thanks so much though. :)
    edit: AWW DUDE SHIT'S LEGIT

Wow, that's really kind of you, and thanks for the feedback. I'll snoop around the 80 mesh, but as you said, a lot probably won't be usable... I'll redo everything from behind the front fender at some point.
    And about that blowoff chirp/whistle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSDZzHsZDc0 1:30.

#8 Zappymouse, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  9. Rocking_Star

Rocking_Star
    Expand Collapse

The front looks nice.
    Love the headlights & the fog lights details. Oh, & the grille too.
    I think you pretty much already know what to correct.
    I'm sure this would be fun to drive across some of the narrow dirt roads we've seen in the live streams :D

10. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

Turbo Quattro's came with blow off valves from the factory, along with an external wastegate. Basically, almost every petrol engine with a turbo is going to have a blow off valve, or else the turbo won't last long. There are a few exceptions, one off the top of my head is the 1989 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo.

But yes, great choice of car.

11. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Quick progress update.

Revised bonnet, front quarter panel, bit around the windshield, doors, door trim, door handle, side skirts, roof. Grille is now "functional".
    Added indicator covers, rear quarter panel, part of the tailgate, part of the rear bumper, etc.
    Glass, wheels, rear bumper, tailgate, side mirrors need to be added, along with interior and components such as suspension, engine, exhaust, chassis, etc. Lotsa work to be done ;)

(imported from here)

12. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

It's looking better, but there's still a few major problems, which you can hopefully see by comparing to this photo:

(imported from here)

(imported from here)

Your pillars are not curved enough, and the A-pillar is thickening too much towards the bottom. The real one is the same thickness all the way up and down. A sharp character line is missing from the base of the A-pillar (where the windshield border curves away) that flows all the way through the top of the fender and towards the end.

The front corner of the fender just above the headlight needs to curve outwards, not be a straight diagonal line. The fender also seems to be bulging outwards too much. It's nearly flat from the front of the front wheel well to the edge of the headlight on the real car, while yours bows outward severely. You're also completely missing the sharp character line that runs all the way from the base of the C-pillar (where that thin black vent thing is) to the front tip of the fender and around the front of the hood (above the grille). The car has too much of a rounded, chubby appearance, whereas the real car is quite skinny looking.

The overall profile of the body side looks incorrect - yours is too bottom-heavy. The widest point ought to be around the bottom of the door handle, not the little light-catcher trim line a few inches below it. Also, the fender flares look like they're too low.

The front bumper is looking very wrong. Again, consult the picture. It'd be difficult to try to explain what's wrong, but hopefully you can see it. Especially the curvature is off - the real one has a subtle curvature along the width of the car, and then a small rounded corner as it turns to the side. Yours doesn't have that small rounded corner.
    Also, the headlights are looking pretty inaccurate. It could be a difference in the car's model/specification, but in this photo the inner headlight looks like it's a lot narrower than the outer one, and the outer one on your model needs to protrude more.

This is just a personal suggestion, but I would hold off on detailing the headlights so much (like modeling the bulbs) and especially stuff like the indicator lights which are mostly opaque and diffused. In a lot of cases you can get a more realistic-looking result with textures and normal maps. Same with the grille. If on the real car there's not much visible behind it it might be better to just normal map the grille bars onto a solid plane.

Are you using blueprints?

#12 gabester, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  13. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I can see where you've gotten the curvature from on the front, actually. If you look at the photo Gabester pulled up you can see the bumper cover is made from two parts like this. The back of the car is also like this. It looks like the outer piece is actually curved and you got that NEARLY spot on. It just comes out too much. The inner part is more 'square' with the rest of the car.

Attached Files:

• 046065100.jpg
    • 046066100.jpg
  14. Rocking_Star

Rocking_Star
    Expand Collapse

I love it how gabester takes the time out of his very busy day to help people improve & make their models realistic :)

15. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I wouldn't always trust technical drawings like this. Nothing is more accurate than a photo of the real thing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Maybe you're right. I was looking at the image you posted and saw that that part of the bumper was curved to account for the fog light mounts.

actually, I have a question to anyone who's a fan of this car. That middle segment of the bumper there, flip between them and you can see that its been pulled out. Can anyone confirm this as a feature? or just a modification. I noticed when flipping between these images. pay attention to that front bumper.

(imported from here)

(imported from here)

17. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

Those two cars show a slight difference in model years I believe. The top one has a more updated front end.

18. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I'd say that's probably the EU vs US version. The US versions of most cars have much larger bumpers to comply with federal bumper standards.

19. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

That accounts for the missing fog light clips. Thanks. didn't think of that, but I'm not entirely sure.

20. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Taking everything into account here. Thank you so much for the feedback. :)
    I am following a blueprint, but it's not 100% dead on with the real car, so I'm using approximates and guesstimation for a fair amount of it.

dkutch and Gabester are both correct. The top image is of a 1985 facelifted Quattro, identifiable by a subtly sloped grille, concave fog lamps, headlight covers, shallower apron, blacked out taillights and colour coded rear spoiler. The bottom is a US spec 1980-82 Quattro. I'm modelling the EU spec of the latter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice