1x 1080p + 2x 720p?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by cameron4me, Jan 8, 2015.

1. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

I have a dilemma. I have a single 24" 1080P TV and get very good performance (highest settings on Beam I get 50-80FPS) and was wondering if I should put 2 older 720P monitors beside it. I dont know how this will affect performance and not actually having the monitors in my house would me me having to go and get them. I was wondering would the performance implications be so great that it would not be worth me getting it. BTW my signature is out of date, here are my current specs:

Intel i5 4690K @3.50Ghz
    Stock Intel cooler
    8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
    ASUS H81M-PLUS
    Generic 1TB SATA III HDD
    Palit GTX 970 (can be overclocked but it isn't at the moment)
    AeroCool Dead silence case in orange because I like orange
    Some old DVD writer

I bought it pre-built off amazon because it was on offer for £660 and for what I got was pretty good, the first one didn't arrive and the second one was broken but the third one they gave us the equivalent of AMD RADEON Gold rewards, so 3 free games for me!

Thanks guys

Link to it here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADMI-DESKTO...mputers_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=00WJ3CA37RR34NVHSX0M

2. Cira

Cira
    Expand Collapse

What do you want to do with those monitors?
    a) Running Skype / Browser on it? -> no real performance impact
    b) Run BeamNG over all 3 with the middle one using 720 pixel in height -> performance impact of around 40 to 50% (2 million pixels vs. 3.2 million pixels), it would look redicously silly though, because of different pixel density and the middle one having empty space left unused.

3. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

You can change the resolution independently per screen, so you would have 1 at 1080, 2 at 720. I would use it for games, but more for games such as Euro Truck Simulator 2, which will run up-scaled to 400% at 60FPS constant. I would also use it for school work, you know word document on one screen, chrome on another instead of half and half which lets be honest, is crap.

4. Cira

Cira
    Expand Collapse

crap.png

See this one...

this will happen when you mix 24 inch 1080p with 19 inch 720p.

If you mix 24 inch 1080p with 24 inch 720p then the 1080p monitor has to run in 720p resolution otherwise the image will be smaller on the 1080p monitor compared to the 720p's.

crap.png

As for the performance impact:
    1920*1080 = 2 million pixels
    1920*1080+(1280*720)*2 = 3.2 million pixels (~60% impact)
    (1280*720)*3 = 2.7 million pixels (~35% impact)

5. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

Would there be any way that I could use them all in 720p when I play stuff like Euro Truck, then switch it over to the 1 1080P panel when I'm not, some sort of software?

6. Cira

Cira
    Expand Collapse

You will have to run the 1080p monitor in 720p all the time...

Although i know in AMDs control center you can set up different settings on keybindings. So lets say you want to play a game, hit CTRL+something and you enabled Eyefinity with 3x 720p, start game, everthing is nice. Quit game, hit CTRL+something else and you are back to 2x 720p extended displays plus 1080p main monitor.

This would still require all 3 monitors to be the same size (24 inch). 19 inch and 24 inch will look just silly.

I dunno about Nvidia. I've given up on Surround/Eyefinity because my desired monitor configuration cannot be used with those technologies and my experience is like 2 years old by now.

7. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately I don't have room for 3 24 inch monitors, nor the money. I dont really mind it looking a bit silly, more bragging rights at school and with my fellow PC master racers... One of the other things I could do is take my old TV (1680x1050 19 inch as well) And do dual monitor setup, OR (yes there is a 3rd) buy some very old 4:3 monitors, so roughly the same height as the 1080P TV, and run them all at native res, not only making them look better, but also solving the problem cheaply and not making as big as performance hit.

8. Cira

Cira
    Expand Collapse

Well then look for 1280x1024 monitors, they should still be cheap and the height difference to 1920x1080 isn't that much of a problem. Only ting you must consider is: Run games in windowed mode.
    There might be some hacks to get this running as display group with Nvidia (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJC8uRqoGRU + http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=25335) but normally just use the 1280x1024's as extended, run game windowed and stretch over the 3 monitors and call it done :D

There are even tools doing that automatically for you (forgot name unfortunatelly)... they just detect the running executable and do the window stretching. With tools like http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/winexp.html you can even fake the windowed mode to look fullscreen.

9. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

I'm going to be looking for something like that in the future, I shall be back and tell you how it goes, possibly a picture to go along with it! Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice