On Hold 2004 Saab 95

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by SHOme1289, Jan 2, 2014.

1. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys,

Slowly trying my hand at modeling, in particular, a 2004 Saab 95. I own one IRL, so ref picturess are a snap. I completed the roof already pretty accurately...I enjoy working with Blender3d, been reading and lurking the forums and gathering helpful information. I'm doing it on my laptop, so when its dead at work, Ill be working on it. When I'm at home, ill plug along at it. I don't see myself giving up quite yet, its a daunting task for your first attempt. Ill post some pictures once I get some more parts done, I'm working on the A,B and C pillars currently. Its a little easier than I thought (the mesh construction at least)...cant wait to start texturing and UV'ing.

Actually, I had a question...should I even bother making this car, or should I try a station wagon version perhaps? Maybe I can just make both, the cars are identical from Front bumper to the back doors, obviously from back doors on, its a wagon. We need some more modern cars on here. What do y`all think? Any constructive criticism is appreciated!
    Bitch don't kill my viiibe:cool:

Edit: Heres the reference pics I cropped and laid out in Blender in quad view. A little fuzzy, but the lines are all there, coming along. Will post pics in a couple days.

Saab top.png
    Saab Front.png
    Saab Rear.png Saab Side.png
    I will not be creating these wheels however, (and I know this isn't a 2004, I'm going to make the 2004's different taillights and rims, maybe the Aero, Arc and Linear SubModels.)

#1 SHOme1289, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. go14smoke

go14smoke
    Expand Collapse

Pics????

3. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I have 2 Saabs in my family

1997 Saab 95 Saloon

and the bigger brother to it

2002 Saab 95 Hot Aero Estate which is called a Sleeper because of it hides a vast amount of power under the bonnet and it doesnt shout about it...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Im very familiar with sleepers, that's typically my favorite type of car...For Taurus SHO, a rusty Civic with 450whp, Saab sedans/estates, Volvo sedans/estates, turbo'd minivans...Its a whole different experience blowing off the doors of a Lambo or an Evo with a family sedan than it is to race with a similar car. Just more entertaining, and a lot more embarrassing for the loser :) Im working on the hood now.

5. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Tell me about it I have seen my dads car leave a BMW X5 with a 4.8L V8 standing and my dad has NOT tuned his car up its totally stock with the 265bhp engine but its been well taken care of and it goes and I have driven it..once...20 feet and I didnt have the guts to use the throttle on it I used the clutch and the car itself just pulled forward...it was quite scary...

6. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately, I managed to source my Saab with the Auto 5 speed. It DOES have paddle shifter tho, so its almost like im a race car driver when I whip that puppy around lol Sport mode is fun too

7. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I heard about the 2008 95 Estate and from what I heard that thing can shift at 6000rpm in like 50ms or something and thats faster than you can even blink its frighting..

8. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Yea, I have a friend with a 2009 sedan, and in auto sport mode, it bangs gears so fast, I like that car. My car has a ZF 5 speed, its a little sluggish (since I snap 5 speeds in my Honda at will, its a stick) for my taste, but once the clutches engage fully in 3rd it has so much torque that its just fun as shit to go from 35 to 80 in a couple seconds, without even a downshift. Saab made some good engines.

9. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I still prefer the manual myself its just well my taste to be honest I already have got good throttle control and I have been driving for the past year I still have to get my licence the stupid driving theory test has me beaten 4 times already but I will get it in the end...but I still prefer the Manual myself..

10. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Saab progress Hood roof.png

So far...I didn't put the smoothing editor on yet, but this is my progress...However, for some reason, when I mirrored the half hood and roof (separately) they aren't meeting up vertex to vertex in the middle, theres a gap...and my wireframe looks a little funky compared to how grid-like it was as I was making it. Otherwise im excited that I at least managed to get this far, being that this morning I was reading about blender and I was like "damn, this looks impossible". Im gonna learn a lot from this car, and maybe redo it completely or move on to another car (preferably, one without a clamshell hood. That was the hardest part so far, and I can def use more edgeloops, but I cant figure it out either...back to reading lol)

- - - Updated - - -

I totally prefer manual as well, I hate autos. But I got the saab real cheap, I think it was like 5 grand USD 3 years ago.

11. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

tell me about it...and GM rammed them into the ground...

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

they rammed themselves into the ground after failing to adhere to GM's restrictions

13. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Haha well played. However Saab really should have been bought by Spyker, just not sure how a tiny company would have help up, supporting such an established and cult-followed brand such as saab. The 2012 95 was def a looker, wish they had time to develop that car more. O well :(

14. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I agree with the both of you...but seriously GM should have let them go to Koenigsegg and then about 5 seconds after Koenigsegg bought Saab they would be thinking "Hmm lets put one of our Agera R engines into a Saab 95 Estate and see what it will do"

15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

They would have run themselves into a wall instead of the ground :p

16. funguy26

funguy26
    Expand Collapse

I hear humors that Saab is back in business. If there true or not I have no clue.

17. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

They have been in buisness for over a month now, later this year they're going to focus on making electric cars.

18. Smeowkey

Smeowkey
    Expand Collapse

A great car. I have the true 9-5 Aero from 2001, the models which were knowingly underrated by Saab at 235hp (instead of +250). With a manual transmission and that scary torque steering suspension setup the car is a joyful handful to drive hard and fast. I love it. One of the best automobiles I've driven.

Now in regards to some cocky comments made here about these Saabs blowing the doors off a Lamborghini or a Ferrari. Bullshit. Perhaps an early 90's or earlier sports car it can beat with some ease or any of the current big heavy American V8s (like the Dodges and their Hemis which are just too much weight to keep up with the light Saab). It's a fast car, no doubt about it. It was blisteringly fast a dozen years ago when it first came out when the competition had nothing to offer. Today a brand new Honda Civic SI will give a Saab 9-5 a run for it's money, and the Honda is half the price and considered an economy model.

Times are changing. You could put a grandma with no driving experience behind the wheel of a modern supercar and she would beat any pro racer driving a Saab. Maybe the newer Aeros are fast though. I've never experienced the newer models and their Senstronic transmissions. However, let's not not exaggerate this wonderful car. She's a sleeper alright but to claim she'll blow the doors off a Lambo is a ridiculously bold statement unless there an Italian Exotic's worth in parts to be found under the hood.

19. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

And by newer, you mean 1995-1997? Because IIRC, only the 2nd gen 900 had the Senstronic.

20. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

My dad had a turbo 4 cylinder '03 Saab 9-5 wagon with a 5 speed manual. It was a really nice car. When it had just been paid off a tree fell on it in a storm. Because of the really strong pillars the only damage was a giant dent in the roof but it was still totaled by the insurance company. (He was still able to drive it until he got his Nissan.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice