WIP 2020 ETK K-Series Gran Coupé

Discussion in 'Land' started by P_enta, Jan 12, 2020.

?

How is the model so far?

1. It’s really good!

95.1%
  2. It’s borderline (please tell me how to improve in comments)

3.9%
  3. Legit shit (please tell me how to improve in comments)

1.0%
  1. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

I’ve always felt like there has been a lack of mods for the K. There are tons for the 800 and I series, but not enough for my favorite Coupe.

So I have taken it upon myself to create my very own mod for the K series, The K Gran Coupé!

Current development status: Focusing on the rear end.

Recently, the new BMW 8 series was released. And I, a huge Bimmer boy, started messing around with the configurator on the bmwusa website. I found out that there was a four door sedan version of the coupe with a sleek sloping roofline and sharp looks... this got me thinking. The K is a coupe... I can extend the wheel base, add 3 more seats, 2 more doors, and other cool trendy bits and release my first ever mod!! So, here we are!
    097DA9B1-606E-4CC6-8E82-1C69DDB0949C.jpeg

This official forum thread is the place to get the most recent updates on the development of the K Gran Coupé (and maybe convertible someday).

Updates are scheduled for the weekends only, I’m too busy on weekdays with school.

Updates on weekends

Monday, January 13, 2020: I don’t have much time to work today, lot of stuff going on.

3:59 PM: I just got home from school, the roads were icy so it took a bit longer. In 20 minutes I need to go to Catholic Faith Formation. I’ll be back around 6 - 6:30 PM Eastern Time. Once I get back I’m going to redo the back window and trunk to actually make into a Gran coupe shape, because I realize I messed up the rear. Also, instead of using the 800 series rear door panel, it will be easier (believe it or not) to just do it myself.

7:04 PM: Finally home. Traffic made it longer. I need to do some homework, so I’ll be giving more updates once I’m in Blender. It’ll be about half an hour.

9:01: This has been a super slow day, I still got the roofline done. It's actually a Gran Coupe share compared to before. (you probably won't see the difference)

After:
    1-13-20-1.png

Before:
    CA77ACC8-342C-4998-AA3E-3662D0283E14.png

1/13/20 Summary: I had about an hour to work today because of school and faith formation, but I am still glad about what I could do.

Sunday, January 12, 2020: Refining exterior, and starting interior.

11:10 AM: The Blender book I ordered arrived, and just in time. I’ll be hopping onto Blender in just an hour or so
    21D3EC26-BD64-4A7E-B99E-DB07712CBB60.jpeg

11:57 AM: My mom is giving me chores... I’ll be able to get on Blender in probably half an hour from now.

12:41 PM: finally I can go down and start modeling. Updates coming soon!

1:36 PM: UGH! My family won’t leave me alone, I keep getting interrupted!

1:50 PM: Okay I got my family off my back, I'm now redoing the roof because it was all janky before.
    1-12-20-1.png

3:04 PM: I had to restart the roof four times before I got it to a decent state. Here's how it is now.
    1-12-20-2.png

6:18 PM: After a break for a few hours, I’m going to start on the interior. I’m going to take the interior door panels from the 800 and paste them into my car, it will save me a ton of work and will fit the styling of ETK.

6:45 PM: I now need to get both door panels to work together and look correct, this will be a pretty large amount of work.
    1-12-20-3.png

7:31 PM: First fitting of the interior door panels, they still need some moving around.
    1-12-20-5.png

12/20 Summary: I got a lot done today, i fixed the roof ans started the interior. I won't get as much done tomorrow because I have school, but I'm looking forward to it!

Saturday, January 11, 2020: Development officially started!

2:00 PM: I’ve just imported the .CAE file from the BeamNG files, this is the official starting point of this project!

2:36 PM: Alrighty, the first thing I just do is extend the wheelbase of the car to account for two more doors
    3AD451CB-1113-4889-81A7-288F47E6CAB0.jpeg

3:54 PM: Now I need to make the front doors shorter, because they’re a bit too big to be on a four door. Then I will make the rear doors and fix the roof.
    CA77ACC8-342C-4998-AA3E-3662D0283E14.png

11/20 Summary: Today was a very productive day, though I did not have much time a got a lot done, I extended the K’s wheel base, and make the rear doors. Can’t wait to get more stuff done tommorow!

please comment any comments, questions or concerns about this project! Thank you for viewing.

#1 P_enta, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 21
  2. Natandog

Natandog
    Expand Collapse

Wagon version? Anyways, looking cool. Gl

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alexio

Alexio
    Expand Collapse

Looking good so far! in the future you could maybe try and make a 2 door coupe or even a convertible version

#3 Alexio, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  4. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

It’s not exactly a wagon, it’s more of a 4 door sedan with a sloping roofline. BMW calls it the Gran Coupe, and since ETK is based off of BMW I carried the name over.

5. Natandog

Natandog
    Expand Collapse

No, I have a suggestion, a wagon version, Sorry if i didnt make it clear

• Like Like x 1
  6. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

That’s a good idea, but there’s two things.

1. I feel like it would be too similar to the 800

2. It’s very difficult to raise the roofline of a two door and give it four doors, I feel like it will be a lot of work for little payoff.

I will take your suggestion into consideration though. Thank you!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Select all the meshes in edit mode, press Ctrl + F & then 'Tris to quads'. That will make your modeling experience easier

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. ClassicMike

ClassicMike
    Expand Collapse

Looking amazing! Hope this doesn't get canceled.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GotNoLimbs!

GotNoLimbs!
    Expand Collapse

Duuuuuuuude i've been wanting something like this for AGES! So cool looking already man, good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  10. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

Oh, it won’t get canceled. I assure you.

I’ll be sure to do that once I get on in an hour or so. Thank you!
    --- Post updated ---
    Thanks so much! I won’t let you down.

• Like Like x 2
  11. steven99brains

steven99brains
    Expand Collapse

Are you planning on expanding the wheelbase and facelifting it to look kinda similar to the BMW or 2020, or will you just make a four-door version of the K-Series?

• Like Like x 1
  12. _Diamond_Coal_

_Diamond_Coal_
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

I think Scalota would be a better naming choice, just to stay in line with the 800-Series mod.

But in general I do like the mod.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. steven99brains

steven99brains
    Expand Collapse

Well yes, I know they're extending the wheelbase, I'm mainly asking if they're going to keep it looking similar to the current ETK K, or if they'll facelift it to make it look newer or similar to the BMW, sorry, I could have written that better.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GotNoLimbs!

GotNoLimbs!
    Expand Collapse

I KNEW as soon as I got the notification that you replied here that you were gonna give some bullshit name suggestion.
    He/she can name it whatever they want.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

ah yes, lets just break etk's naming convention because i'm so damn special that a k-series shouldn't be called a k series

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Maybe he is not aware of the 800, maybe some sort of mod consistency would be nice.

Either way, I just made a constructive suggestion, the bullshit is on your side.
    --- Post updated ---
    K-Series Scalota, that is. Like the 800-Series Scalota mod.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

never heard of it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GotNoLimbs!

GotNoLimbs!
    Expand Collapse

Nice joke.

20. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice