Auriga Experimental Vehicles

Discussion in 'Land' started by Miura, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

I guess I should post about some of these before someone else claims to have the first [vehicle type] in BeamNG.. :D

I have a nice lineup of cars and trucks half done, but also a number of different vehicle types. They are not really supported by BeamNG yet since it's focused on cars for now, but a lot can be done with creative use of the existing features. Some vehicles I have planned will need new features to work.

First, here's a plane that I originally made for Rigs of Rods, converted to BeamNG a few months ago and updated a lot since then. Don't expect a release soon, it's far from finished.

Some features:
    - Wing, propeller blade and control surface aerodynamics work with submesh triangles.
    - Functional ailerons, elevators, flaps and landing gear, done with hydros. No rudder yet, not enough inputs available.
    - Fuselage also has triangle surfaces. In addition to aerodynamics, it also works in water. The plane will glide on the surface at 50 km/h or faster. Any slower and it sinks, since there is no buoyancy yet.
    - Propellers are powered with rotators. They work much like the default wheels, but you can define a custom group of nodes where the torque is applied.
    - Adjustable propeller blade angle with gear shifting + automatic adjustment with airspeed.
    - 3000 hp, since it wouldn't fly with less. It should have about 1/10 of that. Apparently submesh triangle aerodynamics are very inefficient compared to airfoils. It's still slow and drops like a brick if you turn off the motors.
    - Electric hybrid powertrain: engine-generator in the fuselage, electric motors in the wings.
    - No damage yet, I'm more interested in flying than crashing.

Next one is something completely different..

Attached Files:

• a315-10.jpg
    • a315-11.jpg
    • a315-12.jpg
    • a315-13.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Jujune

Jujune
    Expand Collapse

It looks so good!
    Nice to see a good guy from RoR here in BeamNG that brings good content!

Hope to see some more Cars?/Vehicles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SkritCraft

SkritCraft
    Expand Collapse

Awesome ;)

4. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

OMG A PLANE I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!

5. FastestClassic

FastestClassic
    Expand Collapse

Oh my god.
    A plane. In BeamNG.
    All I can say is:
    YES. JUST YES.
    This looks awesome. Great to see another RoR modder coming to BeamNG and making some awesome stuff
    ;)

6. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

one thing i'd like to say, is how isnt there enough inputs? there's around 101 or so keys on a standard keyboard

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Can only assign certain keys to hydros based on the input maps

8. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

WTF?! I'm so freaking confused here. I'm currently modeling a plane for BNG, and I tell a few people and now I see these threads about planes????? :confused:

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

(imported from here)

10. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

Haha yeah Holland you just told me about that. I thought of you right when I seen this.

11. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

Yeah will I'm pissed. I mean this was not brought up before?

12. Simonmonmonm

Simonmonmonm
    Expand Collapse

I BELIEVE I CAN FLY!!!!!

(finaly ind BeamNG) <3

13. cagecode

cagecode
    Expand Collapse

3000 horsepower is a lot for an airplane of that size. I remember the Bell UH-1Y Venom helicopter produces about that much power. Have you considered making this into a dual-rotor helicopter, or something like it? It seems to me that the game engine doesn't really support airflow over the wings yet, which means a helicopter would make more sense.

14. Venomox

Venomox
    Expand Collapse

That plane looks very nice Miura. I wish I had something constructive to say but I don't :p

I modeled a photography room for RoR, Nadeox released one the next week.
    Started a Willys with Torubisu, Mythbuster announces his a week later. It happens...

15. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

Yeas I guess so.......

16. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

Hydros use the input sources you see in electrics debug, so you can't just assign a key for them (as far as I know). More sources are planned, maybe custom sources per vehicle. They don't have to be manually controlled, for example airspeed or altitude can already be used to control hydros. I'm using turn signal source for landing gear, headlight source for flaps and gear indicator for propeller angle.

No reason not to make more planes of different types and designs.

I can tune the aerodynamics to have more lift or less drag, but not both at the same time. So the plane either takes off easily but top speed is too low, or goes fast but barely stays in the air. Better propeller and wing designs could help, but I think it's going to need some new features to fly with realistic power. If I remember correctly, something about propeller airflow was planned.

Maybe I'll try a remake of the twin rotor tiltwing that never worked very well in RoR.

17. wilder

wilder
    Expand Collapse

soon as in 10 min? lol jk I understand good stuff takes time..... like 30 or so min.......

18. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Awesome work miura, and thanks for posting :)

19. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

Wow! I never saw this. Awesome job man. :)

I plan to make something like this as well, when we have command beams and more input options to choose from, but this is already epic!

As for now, we have this and a flying Bolide. ;)

20. boshimi336

boshimi336
    Expand Collapse

Very cool. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice