OFFICIAL Blender JBeam Editor

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Leeloo, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Leeloo

Leeloo
    Expand Collapse
    The Little Engine That Could
    BeamNG Team

With the release of version 0.30, we are bringing you a Blender JBeam Editor! The "Releases" page is where you can download official versions of the plugin (the first zip file in the "Assets" list, e.g. blender_jbeam_editor_x.y.z.zip, not the "Source code" zip files).

This Blender plugin allows you to import existing JBeam parts or whole vehicles, modify them with Blender's advanced modeling tools, and export them!

Documentation for the plugin is already available here. You can share your feedback and questions directly in this thread.

blender.png

#1 Leeloo, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 13
  2. Lordlichi2006

Lordlichi2006
    Expand Collapse

question, when saving, does the editor rewrite all the jbeam or just update the existing one?

3. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

It only changes what you have edited, does not touch the rest of the file. Check the example in the documentation linked above.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Obama 2

Obama 2
    Expand Collapse

Hey, as im beginner and casual player - IN what Blender is better to create new cars? does you all think it will help create new cars?? if yes, why? what is improved?

5. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

As for creating new cars, this will help you if you are editing an existing car and fitting the Jbeam to the shape of the new model. If you are a beginner, I advise following a tutorial first to understand better how cars are made. https://documentation.beamng.com/modding/vehicle/tutorials/basic_car_tutorial/ And generally I recommend reading the documentation.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

This tool is not going to make cars from scratch for you, as a beginner its best to not worry with it yet, since to use it properly you need to understand the standard jbeam creation workflow first https://documentation.beamng.com/modding/vehicle/intro_jbeam/

Currently the jbeam editor only supports:
    • Creating empty jbeam file with just nodes section
    • Adding, removing, moving nodes
    • renaming nodes
    • Importing/exporting existing jbeam files.
    And as for what blender, as stated in documentation linked in first post. It has to be used with blender 3.6 or newer (personally I just use blender with steam and keep auto-updates on)
    upload_2023-9-20_12-26-57.png

7. ghost_cauli

ghost_cauli
    Expand Collapse

You've just answered a part of the question I was writing here, so let me ask the other part: are you planning to add support for node relations (beams, triangles, etc.), or is it meant to only let people edit nodes as it?

8. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

its a work-in progress tool that may be expanded in the future :)

9. Bekwennn:)

Bekwennn:)
    Expand Collapse

As I understand it, he can import the entire "jbeam" but he can't export it completely?

10. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

You can import and export the whole Jbeam, but only the changes you do to the nodes will be saved in the export, not the beam and triangle changes. Export will not change anything in those sections.

11. nzoflapa

nzoflapa
    Expand Collapse

Anyone else having the issue of it not installing into Blender? fresh install of Blender 3.6.2. Hit install and select the zip and nothing happens. NVM I am dumb I downloaded the wrong zip file

12. blockeeeer

blockeeeer
    Expand Collapse

me2
    upload_2023-9-20_20-49-40.png upload_2023-9-20_20-50-0.png upload_2023-9-20_20-50-13.png

13. WaFFacT

WaFFacT
    Expand Collapse

can we have multi node renaming ? because make it one by one is can be longer. like you put Slider1 in name and the script gonna automatic adding Slider1_001,Slider1_002,Slider1_003...

and edit the sellected nodes and put the "beamSpring","beamDamp" value in blender without need edit the script

#13 WaFFacT, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. blockeeeer

blockeeeer
    Expand Collapse

15. angelo234

angelo234
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer
    BeamNG Team

16. SevenToaster509

SevenToaster509
    Expand Collapse

So cool. Can't wait for it to support beams and triangles. Will adding refnodes and all the other stuff be supported too? e.g. information can be added in the export menu like name, author, value

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. [-RM-]isawben

[-RM-]isawben
    Expand Collapse

This looks great! But after installing the plugin blender is lagging a LOT, like 2fps, but only after importing a model. If I just import a jbeam there is no lag. If I import a collada or wavefront, by itself or after having imported a jbeam, blender becomes unusable with lag. I only tried .dae and .obj imports. If I have a model already imported the lag goes away as soon as I disable the plugin and returns as soon as I enable it.

The lag goes away if I hide the model from view. Btw, I've never had problems with lag in blender before.

edit: Ok, it seems the lag is only present when in object mode. If I go into edit mode there is no lag. The lag returns when going back into object mode.

But this now seems usable as long as I'm in edit mode and disable the plugin when I'm not editing jbeam nodes. This, as is, is still a vast improvement over nodebeameditor.

18. angelo234

angelo234
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer
    BeamNG Team

Yeah it would be nice to generate an "information" section and "refnodes" section. Support for those will be more in the distant future though as I'll be focusing more on supporting editing higher priority things like beams, triangles, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. angelo234

angelo234
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer
    BeamNG Team

I see and I know what the issue is (its related to the rendering of the node text). I hope I can fix it soon :)

20. Kalvin costova

Kalvin costova
    Expand Collapse

can you make more nodes for a jbeam?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice