1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

EXPERIMENTAL: Virtual Reality

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Leeloo, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Leeloo

Leeloo
    Expand Collapse
    The Little Engine That Could
    BeamNG Team

VR fans - rejoice: version 0.30 includes an early experimental version of VR support!

Any VR headset that supports the OpenXR standard (that is to say, almost any VR headset) should be compatible with BeamNG. The current version of VR support includes the following: The ability to toggle VR on or off at any point, the ability to choose snap-turn or smooth-turn in-cockpit camera as well as walking mode, and interactive 3D cockpit switches, door handles etc. (experimental- requires a VR controller). A customizable option will allow your hands to reach faraway objects more easily.

The VR feature will also include stereoscopic and position-aware mirror reflections, directional 3D audio, instant 180ยบ direction change in walking mode when using lookback, support for both regular HMDs and non-HMDs, as long as the hardware supports the OpenXR standard. To use Windows Mixed Reality headsets, you will need to set SteamVR as your default OpenXR runtime to bypass the missing Vulkan support in WMR drivers. Check the patch notes for more details!

As you might suspect - VR places considerable demands on your computer's resources. Anticipate substantial hardware requirements and consider scaling back on the graphics detail, amount of traffic, and other settings to ensure a smoother experience.

Please note that this is still very much work-in-progress, should you encounter any issues or if you have feedback or questions, we welcome you in this forum thread.

A list of known VR issues is available here, with possible workarounds in some cases.

A list of common VR questions and solutions is available too.

Thank you for your feedback!

#1 Leeloo, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 20
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Tha_Rambo

Tha_Rambo
    Expand Collapse

There does not seem to be an option to increase VR resolution? and eventhough it is using OpenXR I cant seem to get the OpenXR toolkit to work

3. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Resolution is dictated by your OpenXR runtime. Please adjust the resolution there :)
    Unsure about OXR Toolkit, the sim cannot intentionally reject additional openxr layers.

4. __Boss__

__Boss__
    Expand Collapse

i hope someone will make video how to setup beamng in vr

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Tha_Rambo

Tha_Rambo
    Expand Collapse

Ah my bad not used to OpenXR :), Any idea where I could find that with my oculus hardware? I dont really see a menu or anything

6. Skivster

Skivster
    Expand Collapse

Oof. Tried VR with Oculus CV1. I have a ryzen 5 5600x and RTX2070S and had to dial it down to minimum to have any reasonable FPS. Either im doing something wrong or it is a really rough state right now :D
    Still, pretty awesome to have native VR support.
    That said, I think Vulkan might be the coultprit here. Im having terrible FPS when switching to Vulkan

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Purple Gibbon

Purple Gibbon
    Expand Collapse

This is great news! Hope it works well on old Oculus Quest v1
    Thanks to dev team for all that work and for constantly letting us on new journeys to set up a different game and driving experience!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SexyBoiSeb

SexyBoiSeb
    Expand Collapse

It has been out for like 2 hours, there will be a video later today or most likely tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Skivster

Skivster
    Expand Collapse

I retract my Vulkan Accusation. It has a specific launch sequence to get smooth-ish FPS. And holy hell it works stunningly

#9 Skivster, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Kalemrr

Kalemrr
    Expand Collapse

ngl been hoping vr support would be added for a while, works pretty good when properly setup using vulkan, relative cam is a little weird it seems to pivot around an object instead of the central axis? anyone else encounter this?

11. Skivster

Skivster
    Expand Collapse

Sadly no.
    I managed to get the graphics setting to be pretty high.
    Mesh and Textures to High, Shadows to Partial, Shaders and post processing to Normal, Lightning quality to Low, Anisotropic Filtering to x16 and even FXAA.
    Still not trying to turn on bloom and all of the below settings.
    *THE* biggest performance hit is when I turn on dynamic reflections. It literally tanks the FPS

12. el_ferrito

el_ferrito
    Expand Collapse

This is the first time I have seriously considered getting VR. Are there any recommended specs for a PC to run this from the Devs to get it at decent or really good quality?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BigHandsBoris

BigHandsBoris
    Expand Collapse

my vr camera is set way above where it should be. so when im in driver view i am like 1m above the roof of the car. i cant find a way to set the view to correct it. im using a quest 2 for vr

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Shadowracer345

Shadowracer345
    Expand Collapse

When I click start VR, nothing happens no matter if I use Windows Mixed Reality or SteamVR.
    I use: HP Reverb G2 and a RX6950XT

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. IonicOwl

IonicOwl
    Expand Collapse

I have this same issue. Also my controller doesn't work so I have to use keyboard, and sound only comes out of the headset when I open the Oculus menu, otherwise it comes out of my other headphones.

Using a Quest 2 via USB link cable as above.

Not sure if it matters or not, but I launched Oculus Link, then BeamNG via Steam on my desktop, and launched VR whilst in freeroam. Trying to launch it whilst SteamVR is enabled bypassed the launcher so I couldn't select Vulkan and therefore not launch VR anyway.

#15 IonicOwl, Sep 20, 2023
  16. RadActPotato

RadActPotato
    Expand Collapse

Same problem here. For a workaround, I use the relative camera. The controllers also don't seem to do anything.

Samsung Odyssey, using SteamVR.

Performance seems reasonable so far. Using an R5 3600 and an RX 6750XT

(sidenote: THANK YOU DEVS for not forgetting about us WMR plebs lol)

17. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

We're still figuring out the hardware requirements based on community feedback, but VR eats VRAM for breakfast, so I would recommend a GPU with at least 10gb of VRAM preferably, otherwise the framerate can suffer tremendously down to single-digit FPS numbers.

• Like Like x 3
  18. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Are you sure you recentered the camera?
    Also please check the last VR bullet point in here: https://documentation.beamng.com/known-issues/

19. el_ferrito

el_ferrito
    Expand Collapse

I feel like there is a VR/VRAM/AM (Breakfast) pun somewhere in here.. but I'm tired and old.

Thanks for the recommendation though! :)

20. HeebieJeebie

HeebieJeebie
    Expand Collapse

What is the launch sequence? I have a similar setup to your (3900XT + 2080S) and I can't get it to run smoothly at all.

Edit: nvm. For me I had to launch Beam, go into VR mode, and then connect the Oculus. Works great.

#20 HeebieJeebie, Sep 20, 2023
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice