Solved A little suspension problem

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by ellvis50, Dec 4, 2021.

1. ellvis50

ellvis50
    Expand Collapse

Hello there !

Currently, I am working on a formula car mod. You can find most of the details here : Sauber Petronas C20 (resurrection)

So far so good, the progress was quite steady from my side but I am currently hitting a wall because of a little suspension problem :

As you can see, the car is hitting the ground. At first, the car couldn't move at all and after spending few days working on the suspension, the car is still hitting the ground but can somewhat move now. I am still far from the wanted result and I am starting to run out of ideas. At this point, I am even starting to wonder if the suspension jbeam might be wrong.

So I am coming here seeking for some advice to solve that suspension problem.

2. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Is the geometry calculated or just random? In formula cars it needs to be very precise. It's either a geometry problem or springs not stiff enough to hold the weight I think.

3. ellvis50

ellvis50
    Expand Collapse

For the geometry, I simply followed the 3d model so random might be the most accurate answer.

For the spring stiffness, here are the values :

Front :
    Code:
     ["$spring_F", "range", "N/m", "Suspension", 160000, 100000, 300000, "Spring Rate", "Spring stiffness", {"stepDis":5000, "subCategory":"Front"}],
    Rear :
    Code:
    ["$spring_R", "range", "N/m", "Suspension", 110000, 75000, 225000, "Spring Rate", "Spring stiffness", {"stepDis":5000, "subCategory":"Rear"}],
    These values are not random, there are coming from the original game I am converting this car from.

If you say my springs lack stiffness, maybe I should consider the use of a multiplicator coefficient.

4. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

What game is this from then? These values seem reasonable for a light car so maybe it's too heavy?

5. ellvis50

ellvis50
    Expand Collapse

From F1 Challenge '99-02.

For the mod, I am aiming for a car that weights around 525kg with fluids, wheels but no gasoline.

6. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Then no idea what is wrong, this all seems reasonable

7. ellvis50

ellvis50
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for giving it some thoughts :)

For my side, I will continue the work on the suspension in the hope I solve the issue.

8. ellvis50

ellvis50
    Expand Collapse

Problem solved :)

The issue was the precompression of the springs. Initially the springs were set with a beam precompression of 1.0 and because of that and the car weight, the coilovers were compressing until the car hit the ground. One way to solve that was to tweak the precompression range to make the beams spawned longer and now the car is no longer hitting the ground.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice