A question about I Macs

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by bhorton, Dec 14, 2016.

1. bhorton

bhorton
    Expand Collapse

So a local school to me is selling off 27 inch I Macs that they do not need for £80, and I was wondering if I could use one as a monitor for my PC, via an HDMI cable?

2. AMG V12

AMG V12
    Expand Collapse

I know nothing about iMacs but isn't that a good deal anyway? What are the specs like?

3. bhorton

bhorton
    Expand Collapse

2.4ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, Radeon 7800 graphics, so not really worth it apart from using as a monitor.

4. AMG V12

AMG V12
    Expand Collapse

Ah ok, I presume the screen is 1080p? Value wise, that sounds ok for a 27 inch monitor if you could get it to work.

5. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Just putting this out here but those sell for like at least £350 on ebay so it might be worth it :p

6. bhorton

bhorton
    Expand Collapse

The problem is, my monitor is dying fast, and I don't have the money to spare to buy this, and then buy another monitor if it does not work (before selling it on)

7. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

I will tell you this now... If it is an iMac, it is an all in one computer... basically a super overpowered tablet with some usb ports and no touch screen (and a stand)

You can export video from them, but not into them. Also 80 pounds (is that what that is? I am from America so I don't know) is a hella good deal on something like that with those specs. Buy as many as you can, sell them on eBay for their real value, and then buy yourself a monitor that could melt your face with all the money you probably just made.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

I tried to do this with my Surface and got nowhere. Like above comment said, it's an all-in-one. There's no place to plug a 'Video-In' on that PC and also no way to run it without the computer part of the system. Of course, you could probably do some tear-down and wiring magic to get this to work (probably) but I personally wouldn't be hopeful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

No, they will not work as a monitor, but they are a good deal. I would make sure they aren't sold for parts or without certain things. Out school district has to destroy hard drives before selling PCs.

10. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Seems decent even as a standalone computer, core 2 duo is still decent, and even my brother's old laptop with one (with integrated graphics!) could run Windows 10 just fine.
    As Linus from LinusTechTips was saying in a Mac video, it would've been useful to use the screen once your iMac has become obsolete. Apple try to make their products obsolete to make you buy a new one.
    Sadly, my school didn't sell their old Core2Duo Optiplexes. They could've been upgraded to a Core2Quad as well, which I would've done if they were cheap.
    Make sure it's not an early Core Duo, which can be easily mistaken for a Core 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Zorin-Ind.

Zorin-Ind.
    Expand Collapse

I agree. Just replace the old HDD with an SSD and it should run pretty quick. I've recently met a colleague who uses a Core2 Duo Macbook Pro 15", and I was amazed of how fast it still worked. I think he has installed an SSD though.

12. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

That is literally my everyday computer. A mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro with a Cor2Duo and a 1Tb SSD.

13. ItaliAsian

ItaliAsian
    Expand Collapse

You can use it as a monitor with Target Display Mode if it is compatible with your model. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

I would say go for it since they are excellent displays with fairly decent color accuracy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bhorton

bhorton
    Expand Collapse

Welp, should have expected that. I was going to go down to the bank tomorrow to see how much money I had in my savings account, to buy some of these, however someone has already bought ALL of them up. I can't blame them, really. (I really must get my account set up with an online banking mode).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice