A thread of dislike of atomonus cars

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Carbunny2, May 10, 2018.

1. Carbunny2

Carbunny2
    Expand Collapse

This is a thread for anybody who doesn't like self-driving cars, they should not exist. I mean, think about it: hackers, unexpected scenarios, snow or grime messing the electronics up, and even moral decisions, all we really need to do (if only we could do it that is) is be more strict with driving!

• Agree Agree x 9
  2. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

To my understanding of requirements for them to work, they will likely not be much use outside of cities and highways since they require pristine rods and most of the US is not pristine roads

3. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Just face it, autonomous cars are the future. I actually look forward to seeing what all they'll be able to do. However, I do hope they don't end up replacing actual drivers and become the majority of vehicles on the road. I'd ride in an autonomous car, but I still want the freedom of being able to drive myself.

They'll make great taxis IMO.

• Agree Agree x 8
  4. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

I just don't like normal cars, they shouldn't exist. I mean, think about it: hackers, unexpected scenarios, snow or grime messing up the electronics, and even moral decisions

That argument is valid either way. Modern cars rely heavily on software, so "hackers" could pose a danger in both cases. Luckily the car industry isn't a Watch Dogs game, and if there's not a hooded man with a laptop standing under a bridge hacking normal cars, it sure doesn't need to be a concern with autonomous cars. Furthermore, unexpected scenarios is an extremely vague term, and snow or grime will not mess up the electronics any more than it would in a normal car (yes, normal cars have electronics too), and even with the higher density of electronic equipment in autonomous vehicles, engineers know how to protect fragile parts and keep grime/snow/water etc. away from them at all times.

The only real problem with autonomous vehicles is moral decisions, and knowing my fellow drivers I'd prefer to have a piece of software decide decide my fate in an extremely unlikely scenario, rather than be endangered at every single moment by clueless idiots staring at their phones, people running red lights, folks merging into my lane without checking their mirrors or signalling, etc.

Having said that, and at the risk of sounding like a hypocrite, as a car enthusiast who enjoys driving I cannot see myself owning a self-driving vehicle as long as driving my own cars is still a possibility.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

I can see owning an autonomous car for shopping trips, commutes, etc., but still having something human-driven.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

This.

People fear potentially faulty autonomous systems... and often forget how "faulty" the average human driver can be.

• Agree Agree x 10
  7. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

True. It's not far fetched to think that we could end up using standardized autonomous vehicles for daily commutes, while still being able to have fun with track cars and such things :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

There are autonomous off-roaders.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TerraMax

It does make sense, because they'd be used to lower the risk of soldiers dying in convoy ambushes.
    --- Post updated ---
    Say what you want about autonomous driving's faults, but they'll never be worse than my Geography teacher.

9. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Yes. I see those kinds of faulty drivers from time to time, and it annoys me whenever they do something stupid.

I'd put my trust in an autonomous car before I would a driver who probably barely qualifies to be a licensed driver.

10. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

If we already have incompetent humans who crash all the time, do we need incompetent robots who'll do the same?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Many of these humans are on a different scale of bad.

Also, most of the population actually sees driving as a burden.

12. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Of course not. Robots are probably a lot more competent than most human drivers.

13. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

You sure?
    A recent survey in Europe showed that 2/3 of drivers questioned don't want an autonomous car (to be honest, I was surprised myself).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

There is the 1/3rd, and I suspect many of them don't like to drive, but are too technophobic/self-confident to get an autonomous car.

Also, there are people who don't drive, but would sit in an autonomous car, and the issue of sample choice.

15. BryceCharters

BryceCharters
    Expand Collapse

And why does a survey taken in Europe represent the opinion of the whole population?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

How many people would admit they are awful drivers?

How many incidents caused by human errors in a year vs. only a couple of casualties due to autonomous systems so far (although on very limited levels of adoption yet)?

17. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Agreed, not everyone is going to share the same opinions as the Europeans. We need to also consider the opinions of other countries like the US, Russia, China, Japan, etc.

18. rocksim

rocksim
    Expand Collapse

I think everyone would just mess with autonomous cars, at least I would. There was a post on Jalopnik about harassing driverless cars looking for a place to park by setting up cones and “autocrossing” then to see who’s got the best system. That’s what I’d like to see.

Tesla full self driving is the best IMO. You can drive when you want, then just let the car do it’s own thing on the freeway or in traffic.

19. BryceCharters

BryceCharters
    Expand Collapse

True, Tesla has a pretty good system so far. It's important to remember, however, that drivers are still required to stay alert when autopilot is engaged.

20. alex hart

alex hart
    Expand Collapse

how many autonomous vehicles are actually on the road though? The numbers can't really be compared.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice