A visit to Paradise - a Corsica-like island

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by JohnV, Mar 30, 2013.

1. JohnV

JohnV
    Expand Collapse

Some of you may know that I have been working on a huge 30x30 km Corsica-like island terrain for RoR, through the development or random screens thread. We are a group of RoR members that started this project and my "job" is the terrain. We were thinking of getting this terrain to BeamNG too, so I decided to post a thread about this here. Since this terrain is huge, we are going to need a paged terrain system, to keep resolution at a normal level, if that's possible with Torque3D (not yet tested its capabilities).

Just some pictures from World Machine, showing some parts of the island, for the time being.:) Colours still need some editing, especially the coastal rocks.
    9.png 10.png 12.png 11.png 13.png 14.png

#1 JohnV, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  2. nighhawk01

nighhawk01
    Expand Collapse

Looks quite nice,keep in mind that around Corsica is surrounded water and close to it another island (maybe dry rock island!! Maybe even add a ferry link between both islands!:confused:)

3. JohnV

JohnV
    Expand Collapse

Thanks.:) Actually, as you can see this is not an exact copy of Corsica (not using DEMs or sattelite images for heightmap and colours). Everything is made from scratch (colours, heightmap), with the aim to make it look like Corsica. Take a look at the following pictures, that I compare parts of the terrain I am making with other parts of the real Corsica, that I tried to "copy". Also, those images represent 4x4 km parts of the island. And since it's an island, it will be surrounded by water, of course, if that's what you mean. I have also included a big main island and a smaller one next to it. I will upload an image of the whole island soon.:)

EDIT:Here is the full terrain. This is not final resolution (final will be about 8192x8192 full, or split to tiles). There will also be more colour variety and some changes need to be made in the heightmap, especially on the coasts and underwater. The sharp colour placed as dots, is just a representative colour of where the trees will be placed. Also, all the colours will be replaced with textures, of course. I just can't do this while in World Machine.

Oh, we definitely plan to add a ferry link between both islands! And much more features! Pretty much everything we can add on a terrain.:)

9.png 4.png 6.png 5.png

full.png

#3 JohnV, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  4. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

That looks awesome, love the detail and colours.

5. JohnV

JohnV
    Expand Collapse

Finally, finished the whole island. Hopefully I will not notice any mistake to fix.:p Now need to get it in a much better resolution and quality into Torque3D.

Pics (left-with tree colours, right-no tree colours):
    CorsicaFull.png CorsicaFull_NoTrees.png

6. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Nice :D Wanna see it in torque3d ;)

7. luke198

luke198
    Expand Collapse

Looks great for offloading!:D Are you planning on putting on a few roads?

8. ThingThing62

ThingThing62
    Expand Collapse

Looks great from the sky! I would like to see some closer shots, but for now it looks amazing and I cant wait to go offroading on this map!

#8 ThingThing62, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  9. JohnV

JohnV
    Expand Collapse

We plan on adding pretty much everything we can add, from long highways, to mountain roads and rally courses, from cities to villages, etc. Also, a bridge connecting with the small island, railways for trains (if trains are planned in beamng, at least in RoR they exist), an airport (for planes, if such thing is planned again) and much more!:)

I will upload some in Torque3D, hopefully soon!;)

#9 JohnV, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  10. RedBolide

RedBolide
    Expand Collapse

Nice! This terrain looks really impressive. I'm excited to see this in Torque3D.

11. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

Totally agree bro.

12. dudes45

dudes45
    Expand Collapse

Looks really nice! Can't wait to see it in game!

13. Masterjoc

Masterjoc
    Expand Collapse

awesome map, hang on +1

14. Dr. Acula

Dr. Acula
    Expand Collapse

Subbed, definitely keen to see how this gets on. Looks incredible.

15. JohnV

JohnV
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys,:)

Just to let you know that this project is not dead, we are just having some issues since this terrain is vast (30x30km) and we need at least 8192x8192 heightmap for the terrain quality to look at least good (that would be around 3.8 meters per heightmap pixel) and I don't think Torque3D can support that, so maybe tiling the terrain could help... but still that could be buggy.

Anyway, until we can get it in game, I have made more progress to the terrain to make it look even better. Also, some buildings have been made in blender. There is also a plan to add a lake and rivers. Stay tuned!:)

16. OMGchildren

OMGchildren
    Expand Collapse

Well i for one would love to see any and all new maps put into BEAMng. even if they are in beta i download all of them and almost all the vehicles as well.
    i eagerly await the release of this map despite the last posting being from a year and a half ago-ish. forum seems slow these days

17. bhorton

bhorton
    Expand Collapse

This bump was really not necessary.

Facepalm - Janeway.jpg

18. PrimeTheBomber

PrimeTheBomber
    Expand Collapse

Corsica? Yes! So glad someone's doing this. Can I make a suggestion? During the second World War, the US army built several airfields on the island, with 3 Bombardment Groups stationed there: the 310th, the 321st and the 340th. Since B25Mitch has added the aircraft used by these groups (The North American B-25J Mitchell) to the game, can you build runways on the map? Locations indicated below:

(imported from here)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice