1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

ABS too eager to activate on small vehicles

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Arcanox, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Arcanox

Arcanox
    Expand Collapse

I've noticed while working on my etk800 hybrid mod that on smaller vehicles like the 800, ABS seems to be way too eager to kick in. I automatically disable regenerative brakes whenever I detect that ABS is active, as this is how real-life hybrid vehicles are designed. When driving at high speeds (>80 MPH), lighter vehicles seem to activate ABS at even the lightest application of the brakes, which means that the regenerative brakes get disabled when braking at all on the highway. This is definitely an issue with the base game; I tried it on the ETK K-series (I haven't touched this at all with my hybrid mod) and get the same problem. The H-series van does not have this problem, hence why I believe it has to do with vehicle weight.

2. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Can confirm that, even more so, if you launch a vehicle(with wheelspin) and brake right after that, the ABS will prevent braking until the wheelspin stop.
    And at highway speeds the ABS starts too early, I could get up to 0.1g higher deceleration with threshold braking than using the ABS with full brake.

Instead of detect the ABS, you can detect the wheelspeed instead. Disable regen when one wheelspeed is significantly slower than other wheels, to avoid ABS "false positives".

3. Arcanox

Arcanox
    Expand Collapse

That's probably a better idea. In theory that's what ABS does, but it uses wheel speed versus airspeed instead of wheel speed versus other wheels, and I'm guessing the calibration is a bit off at higher airspeeds.

4. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Another suggestion: Not disable regen in Race Hybrid, in racing the ABS is nearly always active with hard braking. Disabling regen in race model is effectively removing the KERS, which hurts performace.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice