Add a Fresnel to the car paint shader

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by austint30, May 3, 2016.

1. austint30

austint30
    Expand Collapse

One thing that is missing with the car paint shader in BeamNG is that there is no fresnel with the reflections. Most car paint IRL has more reflection when viewing the surface at an angle than looking at a surface directly facing directly at you.

Example Pic:

If this was implemented in the car shaders, this would hopefully make the cars look more realistic and look more pretty.

Cars that are not reflecting shouldn't have this Fresnel shader though, this is only really for reflective surfaces.

2. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

Planned - on "To-Do" list. Source = comments on BeamNG Handling vid on YouTube.
    - here

3. austint30

austint30
    Expand Collapse

Well, I've never seen that video before, so I would've never known they are being worked on. But, I'm showing a specific detail that would make car reflections look better.
    --- Post updated ---
    just saw this comment "yes, fresnel is on our TODO list :)"

That's awesome. But, it's been 7 months since BeamNG said that. Fresnel shouldn't be that hard for programmers to implement.

4. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

That's all about priority and possibility, they still improve a lot of things so something may not be worth adding right now, because later they'd have to redo it again, motion blur was on TODO list even earlier, they even uploaded concept how they'd like it to be, and I was impressed. And it's like this with another things too, devs are aware of frensel and not only it. Btw. it was mentioned before a lot of times, but I see that search tool don't find anything with word "frensel" so it's ok that you posted it :)

5. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

ohmygod please. This, this need to be added.

However, I think we'll get Fresnel and whatever other physically-based shader features when the material system is redone, which Nadeox1 said is in progress right now. Naturally, no ETA, but the fact they're aware of it is at least something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice