Adding a turbo to barstow

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Dirtbikr98, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Dirtbikr98

Dirtbikr98
    Expand Collapse

I'm trying to add an adjustable turbo to the 291 barstow. I got as far as getting the game to detect there is a mod. Every time I load the barstow when the mod is active, the car won't appear and the camera is in the sky.

Attached Files:

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Try if this works, I hadn't time to test, but for me it appeared to have on } missing from the end.

Attached Files:

3. Dirtbikr98

Dirtbikr98
    Expand Collapse

Hi, thank you. It still puts the camera in the sky and doesn't let the vehicle appear. I must've made another error somewhere along the way. Is there a template I can follow for the turbo chargers? I see the hatch turbo has a variables section.

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I knew I should of tested it first :-/

Anyway, you had really lot of " missing, sometimes you had ' instead and also you always have to use 0.75 instead of .75.

Use console to see errors, tilde key, one that is left to number 1 on US keyboard layout.

Attached Files:

5. Dirtbikr98

Dirtbikr98
    Expand Collapse

That fixed the camera issue and stuff and makes it appear in the intake drop down but now when I put it on it says there is a fatal exception and to reload the vehicle.

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Have you compared that to official vehicle turbo, what are you missing?

You go here and open hatch_engine.jbeam, then look variable turbo and see what you are missing, it is two things:
    Steam\steamapps\common\BeamNG.drive\content\vehicles\hatch.zip\vehicles\hatch

Update, also use that console, it will tell what is wrong, see here at beginning of many lines of red text it says wastegate and nil value, that means your wastegate don't have a number for opening pressure:
    upload_2018-2-15_23-17-50.png

7. Dirtbikr98

Dirtbikr98
    Expand Collapse

Thank you very much for your help! I got it working. I was missing the engineDef section. Now all is well with zero errors in the console. Again, thank you for your help.

8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Very good!

Now you can create awesome :)

9. Dirtbikr98

Dirtbikr98
    Expand Collapse

Next step is to get a turbo in the engine bay!
    --- Post updated ---
    Gonna have to ask this aswell because can't seem to figure it out. I got the car to shoot as many flames as my heart desires. How to I make the after fire louder? I can see the flames and faintly hear the pop, but I want to hear it loud like the coupe with the fart can exhaust.

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Sadly I don't know how that could be achieved. Maybe it is related to exhaust and maybe there are some exhaust parameters for that, not sure if @Ai'Torror would know, as his mod uses different volume for different exhaust, maybe that would be related?

11. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

It is pretty simple :D

Take a look at the barstow's engine file and locate those 2 lines:
    Copy them and paste them somewhere in the "MainEngine" section of your turbocharger.
    Then change both of the values to your liking.

And the amount of afterfire is done :D

And now onto the volume and visuals... @fufsgfen you were correct, the part of code responsible for those 2 aspects is in the exhaust file, aguments responsible for that are attatched to the nodes like that:

The best solution would be to make a new exhaust for your turbo (copy the barstow exhaust .jbeam file to your mod's folder and change it's name, then change the name of the exhaust itself and adjust the values in the nodes like I did above for the moonhawk).

You can also download my V10 Car Pack mod and look at any of the cars really. All of them were created pretty simply and you should understand the code easilly.

I'm on my phone so I might have misspelled some stuff and it might not be the most detailed explenation ever as it is 7:40AM...
    --- Post updated ---
    And since you are making a new engine for this mod, I suggest changing the exhaust slot tin the engine file to the barstow_exhaust_turbo. The same goes for the slot used in your exhaust obviously.
    --- Post updated ---
    And to get the turbo in the engine bay you will have to modell it in blender :D
    I suggest just refitting the ETK I series turbocharger to the gavril's I6 and to the Gavril's exhaust system.

12. Dirtbikr98

Dirtbikr98
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the explanation Ai'Torror. I know I have to use blender but I tried to one and got irritated because I didn't know anything about it lol. I'll give it another go though. After I make a model in Blender I don't know how to import it to the game. Also I don't know how to refit anything in the game. I'm assuming it has to do with writing on notepad++ but it will include some sort of link between the writing and another file that includes the model itself, along with a bunch of coordinates for positioning.

13. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It has a learning curve, takes month or more to really learn much of anything from Blender and all related, but there is a wiki https://wiki.beamng.com/Portal and you can find some example projects which might help you to get started.

Also do some Blender tutorial which you can find a lot from youtube, simple house might be not what you want to make, but it would help getting used to how Blender works and that alone has quite bit of learning curve as whole program is designed to work by hotkeys instead of menus.

Also check thread at mod support section, there are posts from people who have had trouble getting their model to game and those threads have a lot of useful tips that you might even write down for later reference.

Amount of frustration really never decreases, only amount of what you can make increases :D

14. Dirtbikr98

Dirtbikr98
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tips, maybe i'll play around with it after work tomorrow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice