Advanced Materials

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Leet34, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

I have a question to skilled modders/developers. Is there any decent way to create good looking realistic materials, maybe with cubemaped reflections, such as chromed metal ? And is raytrace compatible with BeamNG (or exactly T3D) ?

#1 Leet34, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  2. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I'm not an expert on textures, but if you want chrome I think you just set the diffuse to full black (or was it full white, I forgot) and let the BeamNG reflections handle that.

3. RedBolide

RedBolide
    Expand Collapse

It's actually pretty easy to do. I'll make a tutorial tonight when I get back to my computer. :)

4. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Um i know it can be created with help of dark gray texture, but im more like asking about how to tweak the reflections for it to look as real as possible.

Thanks

5. RedBolide

RedBolide
    Expand Collapse

So here's the story. I was trying to find a simple mesh to use as an example for the tutorial, and came across a really nice mesh of a car I'm rather fond of. I decided to throw it into BeamNG and use it as my example. The mesh work is all done. I'm just starting work on the materials. As I progress, I'll take some pictures and make a tutorial. If I'm super productive, I'll have it done tomorrow morning. If not, I'll have to make the tutorial on Saturday. Sorry for the delay.

6. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

You can also use custom skyboxes (cubemaps) for different materials (although the way I've done it is level dependant because it's used on static objects only at this point), this is a material used for certain parts of east coast which uses a custom 128x128 cubemap. It's extremely fake but effective, especially for static objects.

(imported from here)

• Like Like x 1
  7. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

so there's a random silver spinning box in the middle of the road in some parts of east coast? now that would be an interesting crash

Scenario:

*Just Driving Along the Road* *all of a sudden, random silver spinning box thingy* *Crash Noise Here* *Ruined Covet here*

8. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah, we had plenty of those things all over the place in Indiana where I used to live. We never knew why they were there in the middle of the road, we just had to make sure to avoid them.

9. gianpiero

gianpiero
    Expand Collapse

how create this?

10. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Please check the last thread post before posting.
    This one is from 2014.

It's simply using a different cubemap than the one vehicle usually use for their bodies. Check the Super or Burnside interior, as they both use that cubemap.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gianpiero

gianpiero
    Expand Collapse

okay,tnx :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice