1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Advanced mesh collision help.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Fundador, May 28, 2014.

1. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

..Hi,

I hate to ask such a common question but i have done everything i can think of and i was wondering if someone a little more familiar with torque 3D could lend me a hand. Basicly, my mesh won't collide with my vehicle and I'm going a bit mental trying to make it work.

What has been tried so far:

Visible mesh collision
    Using a custom "collision mesh" which was set up with the correct hierarchy and displayed as working but did not actually do anything.
    Making the model into a "shell" so it has 2 sides and is not a single plain.
    quiting the level after changing collision settings then reloading.

Any ideas would be really really appreciated. Model attached is below (in .DAE form exported from 3DS max).

Attached Files:

#1 Fundador, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  2. Elvisnake

Elvisnake
    Expand Collapse

Re: Mesh Collision won't work (3DS max -> BeamNG)

It's because you don't respect the hierarchy. You must have a helper, parent of your object and a collmesh etc. I don't remember how much objects you need in your DAE, open an object like a beamng's tree to check what you need and the order.

3. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

Need help Setting up collision meshes

Ok, I have sorted out the hierarchy and am sure the collision mesh was working as it was displayed as a purple wireframe when i toggled visible collison meshes. Despite this my car still falls right through the mesh. Perhaps theres something wrong with the model? It is made from a single plane which has been edited however so are most mesh terrains. Any ideas?

#3 Fundador, May 29, 2014
  4. ultranew_b

ultranew_b
    Expand Collapse

If you've made a collision mesh for this object, you should be selecting "collision mesh" in the collision category, not "visible mesh". I'm not familiar with Blender, but make sure the all the objects are set to 0,0,0 pivot point and reset the transforms of all the objects.

5. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

Tried both :( collision mesh was selected whilst i was tryng with the custom one and vica versa. axis reset could'd be an idea though.
    ----update----
    Axis reset did nothing either.

Heres how it looked with the collision mesh (ignore the polyflow, i had tried quadifying it aswell to see if it was something to do with the polycount)
    Capture.JPG

#5 Fundador, May 29, 2014
  6. B25Mitch

B25Mitch
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Designer
    BeamNG Team

Fundator, try changing "Collmesh-1" to "Colmesh-1". I think Torque3D identifies the exact name "Colmesh-1" as the collision mesh, so perhaps the extra 'L' is messing things up.

7. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

That could be it, I'm trying it now. Thanks for your time ;)

----------update-----------

ok, the hierarchy now looks like this:
    Capture.JPG

still no luck :(

I reckon it will be something really simple that I've forgotten, could something like the normals or the way i've modelled it cause any problems?

Turns out it works on the normal torque 3D without BeamNG.
    Capture.JPG

what is different about BeamNG collision to normal torque 3D collision i wonder.

#7 Fundador, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Torque3d and BeamNG do collisions quiet differently i think. The only reason i say is because when i was using Torqe3d before BeamNG was launched to practice it automatically just used the visible mesh and everything worked perfectly. But it was absolute hell getting the mesh into BeamNG, thankfully some people on the forums helped out. I will have a play with the file and see if i can do anything.

EDIT:
    Well, i tried importing the file but sadly my user account is not the same as yours and i do not have the correct files located in a folder on my desktop :p I also happen to lack the skills or patience to manually edit the textures out using notepad++ . Google leads me to believe this is just a 3dsmax and blender compatibility issue (not your fault). My general plan was to take a file that i know works and then delete my mesh's from it and put yours in its place so you could have a working file.

This may help you: Help-with-map-object-collisions
    You should be able to download the file that NkosiKarbul posted and delete my objects from it and place your own in their place with the same object names.

Hopefully some of this unorganized rambling may have helped you.

#8 aljowen, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  9. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for trying that idea, i was speaking to someone else having the problem and it seems that is probably the right way to do it. they got theirs to work by exporting it to sketchup then into torque and for some reason that made visible collison work. Ill have a read of that thread aswell :)
    Id thank you but i hit the limit today lol.

10. ultranew_b

ultranew_b
    Expand Collapse

Possibly the normals are flipped the wrong way. If they are wrong way, no collision. In poly select mode, select the polys in question and hit button "flip".

I've exported tons of models with no issues from max.

Also, what exporter are you using? the built in .dae exporter with max is no good.

You need to use this exporter (OpenCOLLADA): https://github.com/KhronosGroup/OpenCOLLADA/wiki/OpenCOLLADA-Tools

:D

11. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

I actually solved this by creating a "helper" object then linking all the other objects to it with the correct names to make them collision meshes by default in torque 3D.if anyone comes accros iasues with this PM me as i have it figured out.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice