WIP Beta released Graphics Mod AL - Fancy stuff instructions 20220818 for 0.25

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by Brother_Dave, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

AL18 OUT

ALWAYS CHECK MY LATEST POSTS FOR THE LATEST RELEASE BUT ITS NOW 2022-05-03 AND YOU FIND IT HERE:

https://beamng.com/threads/al17-out...hics-mod-al-part-2.71585/page-31#post-1448284

Vids below from AL11:

Alternative Lighting

A graphics mod containing:

• Increased Brightness for each level (makes the specular, normal, bump maps crispier, for example the tarmac on Small island) which allows brighter skies and light at morning/evening
    • Changed colors for the sun color gradient throughout time of day to make light at morning and evening brighter without midday being overblown bright, also changed the color to my liking
    • Decreased sunsize
    • Modded sun flare textures
    • Changed code and values for part of the tonemapping, making the black/white/color balance abit more aggressive when the balance is uneven between them
    • Adjusted the PostFx values to suit the above stuff to my liking

Install example, instructions in each release:

• Open the Beamng launcher, hit Support Tools, Clear your cache. Dont start Beamng.
      -Alternative #2 is to go to your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder and delete the latest cache-folder, at the moment its called "cache.0.20.1.2". That way you wont loose as much stuff as compared to the Clear Cache-option.

• Unzip the folders and the postfxpreset-file from the AL5.zip into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder so that you get the folders called Art, Core, Levels, Shaders and the AL5.postfxpreset-file into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder

• Open Beamng, click Options from the main menu. Make sure you have advanced menus activated to see the POST FX button.

• Scroll down so that you see the POSTFX button. Click it. Click 'Load Preset...' and look up the file that was in the AL5.zip. should look something like this: 'C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\BeamNG.drive\AL5.postfxpreset' , that way you also know youve extracted the folders and file correctly.

• Make sure you activated light rays, its check box is above the POST FX button.

Done!

About uninstalling;

Easy way:

• Either you just use the Clear Cache from the Beamng Lancher. That should remove the mod. If you want the postfx preset to be the default one you can got to your Settings folder (Documents/Beamng.drive/Settings) and delete the default postfx preset file. That will cause the game to reload the vanilla one.

Another easy way, if you dont want to use the launchers Clear Cache:

• Delete the files from the zip (the files oughta be folders called Art, Core, Levels, Shaders and a postfx preset called for example AL8.postfxpreset).
      • If you want the postfx preset to be the default one you can got to your Settings folder (Documents/Beamng.drive/Settings) and delete the default postfx preset file. That will cause the game to reload the vanilla one.
      • Delete the latest cache folder in Documents/Beamng.drive, oughta be called something like 'cache 0.21' now.
    That should do it. If theres still problems then my mod is not the cause.

I do recommend a complete reinstall of BeamNG each time a update comes out, weird problems tends to stack up if you dont. I did it for the last update and i willl for this one. The biggest reason is i dont want to miss out on something being updated, that might not pop up/work if i dont make a fresh install of BeamNG.

#1 Brother_Dave, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 20
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Added info on the original thread rerouting to this. Its also tested and working on 0.19.4.2.

3. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

From my experience from installing this mod, it really makes the game look very bright and very dark. I'm not sure if i'm installing it correctly or anything, but I do think it could be improved.
    screenshot_2020-06-27_20-26-35.png

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Not as in the vid?
    I got the same result (more dark than broght) when testing a few things, until i did a fresh BeamNG install and made sure i cleared cache and then 'installed' my mod.

Is your Beamng a fresh install or a few versions old? Im not requiring that you do a fresh install but it will probably sort it.

5. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

That might look as it should, not 100% though and we probably have different monitor settings. Mine used to be really dark from factory, took me a good while to realize that and run off a few filters it has built in.

Tried to replicate your screenshot with slightly different settings, how does this look on your screen?

Attached Files:

• BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200711-19130208.png
  6. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

It looks considerably better than mine. I'm not 100% sure if it's about the monitors. My BeamNG is up to date and modded, but none of the mods are visual enhancers, only terrains, vehicles, and apps. I pretty much gave up on using the postfx settings and switched to reshade so it's not a big deal if you rush to get it out there. it's just nice to have postfx stuff for the chance that you need it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Yeah Reshade is awesome in that way, can really tailor it to your taste. I actaully switched from releasing Reshade presets to game engine PostFx stuff in order to contribute in a way that more ppl can use. But the more the devs release visual improvements the less change my mods do, which is good IMO.
    Ill keep on improving this on and off but itll just be once in a while, got my cars to work on when i get some free time on my hands.

8. Republican Cat

Republican Cat
    Expand Collapse

Hey! This is an amazing mod! Great work. You did what not even the beamng devs could do, and they are payed! Also (Might just be) but it seems so well optimized.. I can run 60fps even with dynamic reflection now so I think you made the game less laggy by enhancing! Whats your secret?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Exchy

Exchy
    Expand Collapse

Finally got new pc
    upload_2020-7-18_21-13-41.png

• Like Like x 3
  10. InsertNameHere²

InsertNameHere²
    Expand Collapse

Uh, I can't find the PostFX button, after following the instructions in OP, and digging through all the option menu tabs. Where is it located within the settings menu specifically, or do you have a screenshot?

Edit: Nevermind, shoulda clicked a few more checkboxes before asking. Apparently, you need "Enable Advanced Functions" checkmarked, in the "User Interface" tab of options, for the PostFX button to pop up in the "Graphics" tab

• Like Like x 1
  11. henryjhost

henryjhost
    Expand Collapse

That K Series looks amazing! Is it public by any chance?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Exchy

Exchy
    Expand Collapse

Well I hope so, I just got my new pc after a year of nothing, gotta learn how to mod again, there's couple of problems

#12 Exchy, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the kind words!

Also, this mod shouldnt break the game, not touching any of those files.

New version out;

* Tonemapping updated/reverted to a earlier version that made sense when i started adjusting the level settings instead.
    * Various PostFx settings changed
    * Level settings adjusted especially for using the earlier non-multi flare sun flare, since i think it works really awesome with light rays and the tone mapping settings, also i dont have time to port my old flare textures atm. Less overall level darkness, less overexposed brightness, overall better light balance and you will get blinded by the sun since.. well its the sun.
    * Probably more stuff

Ill update with a vid at a later time :) Take notice of that its now called AL2.

Install:

* Open the Beamng launcher, hit Support Tools, Clear your cache. Dont start Beamng.

* Unzip the folders and the postfxpreset-file from the AL.zip into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder so that you get the folders and the file into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder

* Open Beamng, click Options from the main menu. Make sure you have advanced menus activated to see hte POST FX button.

* Scroll down so that you see the POSTFX button. Click it. Click 'Load Preset...' and look up the file that was in the AL2.zip. should look something like this:
    'C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\BeamNG.drive\AL2.postfxpreset' , that way you also know youve extracted the folders and file correctly.
    * Make sure you activated light rays, its check box is above the POST FX button.

Done!

Attached Files:

• AL2.zip

File size:
      102.4 MB
      Views:
  14. Republican Cat

Republican Cat
    Expand Collapse

This is probably impossible to add, but you know when the road looks like there's a puddle on it from a distance? Yeah.

15. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

I know what yopu mean, heat spots mirror kinda things but thatd require a fresnel like shader and im not that cool with the codes yet.

Anyways, screenshot dump instead of vid right now :)

Attached Files:

• BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09161685.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09384814.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09315531.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09313552.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09312776.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09283631.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09282393.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09242553.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09225261.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09212181.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09211043.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09210255.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09204609.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09201871.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09201303.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09191955.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09190657.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200723-09390041.png
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Exchy

Exchy
    Expand Collapse

Are you not somehow in control of smaa settings? Like is it possible make it 2x times stronger
    --- Post updated ---
    New Preset, almost evening, gotta say, orange touch is a lot more better
    upload_2020-7-23_12-18-44.png

17. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Glad you like it. About the SMAA, its in there and theres resolution stuff that i guess can be changed but im pretty certain itll eat up the fps i no time and im not comfy enough with SMAA to know what im doing.

Just got the gradient stuff working, made custom sunscale and fog files and a neat thing with that is... Dynamic fog!
    Just a quick test but basicly i got fog rolling in in the morning and evening. Also pretty happy with how crisp i can get the morning and evening light now, ive always thought light was too dark for those times compared to day but now thats sorted! Also given the light a nice orange touch going into a purpleish tone right before sunset. Ive boosted overall brightness alot and controls it by the custom gradient files, the day can now get very bright without loosing the colors, in a way i didnt think was possible more or less.

Screens of the fog, need some adjusting but you get the idea:

Attached Files:

• BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200801-13460491.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200801-13461303.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200801-13464004.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200801-13465356.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200801-13470092.png
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Beamng just released 0.20, its of course awesome! Ill take the opportunity to release my latest version too, called AL3.

This version is a test for a new way i adjust lighting, making it overall more crisp all day and brighter in the morning and evening, something ive missed in Beamng. Ive also adjusted the sun color for the whole day, added my dynamic fog (rolls in at morning evening, is very alpha and youll have to adjust your fog in the game menu to your taste, ive kept it low for now) and probably something more.

Screenshots are just random, quick ones since i gotta head to bed soon. The screenshots from Small Island is a cycling through how the day light looks.

Install:

* Open the Beamng launcher, hit Support Tools, Clear your cache. Dont start Beamng.

* Unzip the folders and the postfxpreset-file from the AL.zip into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder so that you get the folders and the file into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder

* Open Beamng, click Options from the main menu. Make sure you have advanced menus activated to see hte POST FX button.

* Scroll down so that you see the POSTFX button. Click it. Click 'Load Preset...' and look up the file that was in the AL2.zip. should look something like this:
    'C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\BeamNG.drive\AL3.postfxpreset' , that way you also know youve extracted the folders and file correctly.
    * Make sure you activated light rays, its check box is above the POST FX button.

Done!

Attached Files:

• AL3.zip

File size:
      6.2 MB
      Views:
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200806-20331554.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200806-20361513.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200806-202814100.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200806-20283052.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200806-20283904.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200806-20284681.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200806-20285488.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200806-20290303.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200806-20291073.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200806-20291825.png
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Seen two thing i think ill change quite soon, first ill make the light more yellow earlier, so mroe yellowish around morning, evening. Also ill probably start working on the ambientscale throughout the day and adjust that to the new brightness :) I think ill go for a less dark ambient tone early/late in the day :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Republican Cat

Republican Cat
    Expand Collapse

am I the only who thinks this makes the roads look more 3d?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice