WIP Beta released Graphics Mod AL - Fancy stuff instructions 20220818 for 0.25

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by Brother_Dave, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

You definitely can, ive grown to like a short DOF but its very much a personal choice :) You can of course play with the settings too, in this case it oughta be far dof max blur and curve settings. The dof is linked to the view/clipping distance of the map itself and those can vary on the vanilla maps which leads to dof having different results on different maps.

2. Vantello

Vantello
    Expand Collapse

upload_2020-10-25_22-1-59.png why does this happen when u move camera in dark place.

3. Cincinnatus

Cincinnatus
    Expand Collapse

its pretty blurry with dof on
    Ok thanks. I think it just depends on what map I'm on.:)

4. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Major screenshot dump and the latest release, AL7 :D

Install:

1. ALTERNATIVE 1 - Open the Beamng launcher, hit Support Tools, Clear your cache. Dont start Beamng.
    ALTERNATIVE 2 (i do this) - Go to your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder and delete the latest cache-folder, at the moment its called "cache.0.20.2.0". That way you wont loose as much stuff as compared to the Clear Cache-option.

2. Unzip the folders and the postfxpreset-file from the AL7.zip into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder so that you get the folders called Art, Core, Levels, Shaders and the AL7.postfxpreset-file into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder

3. Open Beamng, click Options from the main menu. Make sure you have advanced menus activated to see the POST FX button.

4. Scroll down so that you see the POSTFX button. Click it. Click 'Load Preset...' and look up the file that was in the AL7.zip. should look something like this:
    'C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\BeamNG.drive\AL7.postfxpreset' , that way you also know youve extracted the folders and file correctly.
    * Make sure you activated all the PostFx stuff including light rays, its check boxes are above the POST FX button.

Done!

Changelog from AL6 to AL7:

Slight changes to Tonemapper code, abit more aggressive but works better with the decreased TOD sun gradient

Increased brightness settings BUT decreased gradient so that it isnt as blinding mid day.

Modded light flare texture and settings to make the sun flare less strong

Slight changes to SSAO, BLUR, DOF to make it less intense

Probably some more stuff but dont remember them now.

Still constains my fog mod, which if you use fog itll grow stronger in the morning and evening

VIDS ARE USUALLY DARKER ON YOUTUBE FOR SOME REASON, SHOULD MATCH SCREENSHOTS..

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  5. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Dang, uploaded a WIP vid but all the trance background music was in it so.. pulled it down to not cause unnecessary drama if copyrighted music:)
    --- Post updated ---
    EDIT: Used some youtube country music to remove the original soundtrack, heres the vid :)

#85 Brother_Dave, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  6. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Testing vid codecs, well actually ive just resaved in the same format using VLC (vid recorded using Nvidia Exp.) and it seems that fixes the ovetdarkened issue ive experienced. I think thats due to Youtube applying some compensation to my vids thinking its ldr or sdr or whatever its called, where it assumes the mo itor doesnt handle values below 16 and above 234. My monitor is actually hdr so it can show 0-255. When i resave my vid using VLC it seems to change something making it look more correct:

Closer to how my game looks, just maybe ever so slightly pale in comparison:

Looks too dark/contrasty on my monitor:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Copied my response to a forum members question, where he asked what my mod does:

What my mod basicly does is:

1. Changed the tonemapper code, a bit more aggressive than the vanilla one (its how color changes depending on how bright the screen is)

2. Big one: Increased Brightness settings on all vanilla maps which gives alot of nice stuff; morning and evening is brighter which is something ive really thought was lacking earlier. Specular maps get stronger. Normal maps multiply their depth so things like the road texture, mud, brick walls get a deeper depth which is one thing i always thought looked weird, things like cracks werent as deep as i thought they would be when i made textures that used normal maps. One big thing i thought was a downside was that the whole maps light got brighter throughout the time of day and that was the only reason why i didnt use this way to change lighting earlier BUT i found that the vanilla maps used the gradient textures, though unaltered from the old Torque3D engine, for:

Sunscale (color and strength through time of day), using this one simulatanously with ambientscale meant i could increase the Brightness settings of the vanilla maps for the benefits mentioned above, but i could bring down the overblown brightness it gave without adjusting the *scale files
    Ambientscale (same as sunscale but for shadows/indirect light up areas)
    Fogscale (fogcolor throughout time of day BUT knew from before that the darker fog got, the less visible it is ingame meaning i could use this to have fog in the morning and evening but none midday)
    and the rest of the *scale files

3. Modded sun light flare textures to give them a more intense and 'realistic' look

4. Changes to SSAO, BLUR, DOF, Light Rays in PostFx, to look better with the other changes

Probably some more stuff but dont remember them now :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Another test vid, also made changes to AL8 :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. coolgamer55

coolgamer55
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

look's nice :)

10. ZOOZOO

ZOOZOO
    Expand Collapse

Which tab of option does have 'Post FX' button

11. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Thanks man :)

IF you hit options from the main menu it should be right there in the graphics part, if you scroll down a bit. You might have to enable advanced menu options, can be found under another part of the options. Not at my computer atm so cant be more accurate unfortunatly.

12. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Might aswell post this as reference to some of my thoughts on why raising Lighting::Brightness gives 'better' Normals maps and so on results. In this thread: https://forums.torque3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=755 its discussed about things linked to this, with the last post mentioning normal maps as off.
    Thinking it might be a similar thing or ive just boosted stuff more than they should be. I do have to pet my own back with how much more 3D (quoting a member on here) the roads look, and not just the roads, every thing using a normal malp should be effected. Its like the normal maps are scaled way too small with the out-the-box Lighting::Brightness setting, making them too flat.
    --- Post updated ---
    Sorry for not responding until now, missed that you had posted this!
    Im guessing its the SSAO dragging, ive had a similar issue where if things move quickly, the SSAO has some sort of minor delay. Ive had it since the latest official Beamng release but i havent reinstalled Beamng this time so might be due to that.

13. Exchy

Exchy
    Expand Collapse

So, how long until AL8? And suggestion to make it work with custom popular maps is still there. I mean, i doubt you'll cross any copyright since everything belongs to Beamng (i guess)

14. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

AL8 is probably a few days-1 week away or something like that. I doubt id have the time to check up on custom maps but the one thing needed for those would be that they use the sunscale-, ambientscale- and fogscale gradient textures. If they do then its a matter of raising the brightness to 4-5 depending on how bright the overall textures are in that specific map. Ideally 5 for my gradient files BUT on say Hirochi alot of the textures on the buildings and ground around the track are fairly bright which can give an overall too bright image if using 5 :) Pretty sure most creators would be ok with doing the changes though.
    I think Small Island and Industrial works really great wiht my mod and the reason is that the overall look of the maps has evolved soo much. Even comparing with ECUSA it feels like years between those maps due to the textures on ECUSA being more of the grass-is-green-and -covers-the-ground-idea while Small Island has a much larger diversity of foliage, creating a much more intresting image to look at and a much more realistic feeling, not just one with say just green healthy grass fields.
    One thing ive always reflected upon is the fact that say GTA 5s map has overall dirtier buildings, more damages to roads, more scrap piles laying about than in real life, all this to add detail to the image and make it feel more relistic, even though its in fact less realistic :)

15. Exchy

Exchy
    Expand Collapse

I mean, maps like Pikes Peak, Polish Mountains, American Roads, Altitude, and some other i don't remember, those pretty popular and don't have literal cities with textures, mostly Nature sights. The Altitude looks way nice by default and i want something like WCUSA preset for Polish Mountains, just thoughts, maybe you play something custom

16. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

I see, yeah ive spent hours on the Pikes Peak version and Altitude too.

Ive got custom map settings laying about for Rally Forest, Rally Forest Snow version. The snow version is really cool with heavy snowfall and dense fog. I havent used any of them since i started using the new way (the one doing wonders with normal maps and TOD brightness) so i can only assume they both would look really good, even though the textures might be a bit dated on them.

17. Confused_Deer43

Confused_Deer43
    Expand Collapse

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but after installing AL7 it gives off a greenish tint for me, which is really noticeable on gridmap. I don't have a HDR screen so could it be something from that?

18. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Could you post a screenshot? Its not green on my screen so shouldnt be on yours either. You sure you havent activated color correction in PostFx and tinted it green?

19. Confused_Deer43

Confused_Deer43
    Expand Collapse

This is a picture from another user since I currently have the mod uninstalled, but it looked exactly the same for me

Attached Files:

• unknown.png
    • Like Like x 1
  20. den_chik

den_chik
    Expand Collapse

Yes, green tint IS there. And I don't like overlighted low sky at Grid Map, by the way. At right - vanilla map.

Attached Files:

• screenshot_2020-11-16_15-24-41.jpg
    • screenshot_2020-11-16_15-33-37.jpg
    #100 den_chik, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice