1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Alignment units

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by SebastianJDM, Feb 5, 2018.

1. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

Why is camber, caster, toe, etc. measured in a percentage, rather than an angle?

2. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

As it would require more calxulations to take place, as every ride height change requires a new camber adjustment in case of most independent suspension setups.

Try playing around with it and you will understand... It is also more realistic this way, as you can check the angle after restarting the tuning menu. In real life you also have a certain percentage of adjustment. You have to check the angle after you actually set the car on the ground.

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It would be handy, if that adjusted alignment value would actually be next to slider instead at the bottom and that it would actually update after clicking apply without need of reopening tuning menu. (in 0.8 you didn't need to reopen tuning menu, that is a bug in 0.11).

Then again it would be almost same as adjusting the value instead of percent, except you would really adjust a percent it would just show you a value, without need to restart tuning menu and going to bottom of really long page.

I guess one clever enough could make app with html and JS that would have all that in it, sadly I'm not that clever.

So as it already shows your real alignment data, all that would be needed is to have for example camber angle displayed next to camber slider.

Then again, if we start to compare BeamNG setup UI to other games, BeamNG is quite terrible, but my understanding is that they are working on improving that in future.

This is quite handy, but also very outdated in visual qualities, those are live values, having info there where you adjust is crucial:
    upload_2018-2-6_11-45-29.png upload_2018-2-6_11-45-43.png upload_2018-2-6_11-51-2.png

From RBR it seems I could not remember how to take a screenshot anymore, but even that has data displayed on same page with adjustment. Although I'm not sure how real that data is in that.

In NetKar Pro you don't set ride height, but ride height is result of spring rate, spring reload and mass, again at the bottom you can see real time data:
    upload_2018-2-6_12-21-40.png

I'm sorry to say, but in BeamNG I don't really like to do suspension setups as it is shooting in blind, or then really slow when you have to go to bottom of the long page and with 0.11 it does not even update until you reopen the menu, so that is certainly area where I believe BeamNG devs will do improvements.

Current version of setup UI is more of a dumping sliders and placing some data, there is no any design in it, nobody has put thought on how to make it usable, so most likely it is just simple dump of something that can be used until proper UI is designed and that is probably designed when they know what they will have there, when features are enough complete that such design work can be done.

So reason why you adjust percentages is that it works that way, reason why you don't see data in correct location is that it is not done yet.

4. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

Oh, thanks, I understand now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice