Am I allowed to use 3D Warehouse-sourced model for my repository-friendly mod?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Ytrewq, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

So, I have found a 3d model of a car on the internet and I want to make a mod based on it. The site stated I can use and modify the model as I want, but I have traced it back to 3D Warehouse (3DW in advance), where the things are probably different.
    I am now trying to understand the 3DW' TOS, but it leaves more questions than it answers. Sometimes I even feel like the TOS are contradicting themselves.
    Link:
    https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/tos.html#license
    Here are my questions:
    1. Does such mod qualify for the repo if I don't ask the author's permission (he went inactive in 2014)?
    2. Am I allowed to modify the 3d model (change proportions, design of lights, grille, interior)?
    2.1. Am I allowed to replace the car manufacturer's signature grille with my own design?
    (TOS state that 'you can't remove, obscure or alter any product identification, proprietary, copyright, trademark or other notices contained in the Model or accessed in conjunction with or through the Model')

2. TheDiamondLord8

TheDiamondLord8
    Expand Collapse

If you got the model from another game/3d model website, it wouldn't be allowed on repo but it can be allowed on forums if rebranded I believe.
    What car are you trying to do?

3. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

It's gonna be a fictional car. The problem is not in the car, but in the model itself.

4. TheDiamondLord8

TheDiamondLord8
    Expand Collapse

Oh. But what is it based on?

5. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Doesn't matter.

6. TheDiamondLord8

TheDiamondLord8
    Expand Collapse

Oh. I would assume it would need to be rebranded. Best of luck!

7. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

You don't understand me. The question is not if I can release a car, but if I can use and modify another person's 3d model.

8. TheDiamondLord8

TheDiamondLord8
    Expand Collapse

Oh. I think it needs to be a little different. If it's too similar then it's not allowed.

9. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

You've kind of derailed this thread by repedeatly posting despite not understanding the problem. Besides, I wanted to hear from someone more experienced, preferably a dev/moderator (don't take this as an offence please).
    Please, refrain from posting on it anymore.

Again,
    So, I have found a 3d model of a car on the internet and I want to make a mod based on it. The site stated I can use and modify the model as I want, but I have traced it back to 3D Warehouse (3DW in advance), where the things are probably different.
    I am now trying to understand the 3DW' TOS, but it leaves more questions than it answers. Sometimes I even feel like the TOS are contradicting themselves.
    Link:
    https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/tos.html#license
    Here are my questions:
    1. Does such mod qualify for the repo if I don't ask the author's permission (he went inactive in 2014)?
    2. Am I allowed to modify the 3d model (change proportions, design of lights, grille, interior)?
    2.1. Am I allowed to replace the car manufacturer's signature grille with my own design?
    (TOS state that 'you can't remove, obscure or alter any product identification, proprietary, copyright, trademark or other notices contained in the Model or accessed in conjunction with or through the Model')

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Does it say on the model site anything about copyright?

11. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

See post above for Sketchup TOS.

12. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

According to this:

You can:
    • Use and distribute the models (it's not too clear, but I believe it suggest on the Warehouse platform only, not elsewhere)
    You cannot:
    • edit out things like remove parts that alter the product identification, copyright, trademark (ie. I put my name on the model, you cannot remove it)
    • claim ownership of the model (obviously, you cannot claim it's yours)
    • sell or distribute individual models, unless you made it or have permission (so that would be blocking you, unless you have permission from the author)

In short, it's pretty vague (grey-zone), but I'm confident you cannot redistribute the models freely, and still need permissions from their original authors.

13. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

So, I cannot modify the model to look like a fictional car and release it without asking permission (it is not possible)?

14. QUANTUM0

QUANTUM0
    Expand Collapse

I don’t think you can edit it at all

15. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

It does say you can edit the model.
    But you cannot it in a way that it removes references to the original author.

Ie. A model has my name in it, you cannot remove it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

I don't even think there is a way to get sketchup wear house models to work in blender if you were allowed to use them! I have tried, and all that shows up is like a windshield, and a license plate. and there really off scale, there like the size of a planet

17. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

It showed up without problems. Actually, it wasn't from warehouse, it was from another site with stolen models (think worldofmods, but with 3d models), but I traced it back to 3dw.

18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Give (to the best of your knowledge) the original author credit. If it's not from another copyrighted game, or from a place that says it's copyrighted in some way, you should be just fine to use it however you wish. Keep whatever credits are in/on it, but I mean if you have to make it so the doors, glass, wheels, hood & trunk, etc, are separate things (which you do), that is fine. If you want to make it's a 2-door instead of a 4-door of vice-versa, that's fine too. If the author put his name on the trunk like a car dealer's logo on a real car, or stitched it into the seats like a limited edition (with his/her name/logo), obviously do your best to preserve it. Unless it says specifically somewhere you're not allowed to use it in a FREE mod (you don't make monetary gain from *selling* it - non-obligatory donations are different), or it says it's copyright by someone or some business, you should be fine to use it. There's plenty of free models out there of vehicles to not have to swipe them from other games (which can and would eventually cause legal issues against BeamNG team/company, makers of this awesome game).

--Good luck!

*mumbles* Anyone feeling like making a 1992 Sable GS or a 1994 Taurus, or a 2003 Corolla ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice