Any advice for a new videocard?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Driv3r1142, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

I've been playing BeamNG on my PC build I put together in January, and I have recently been coming to terms with the fact that my MSI r9 270x 4GB isn't cutting it for me anymore.

Its a few years old now, and it was from my old PC.

It used to be just fine for me, then I got a higher resolution monitor (1080p vs 720p) and as I know, and have been told before, my 270x isn't capable of the stress given by playing BeamNG in 1080p.

I have not looked at replacing a GPU for awhile, and there are a lot of new ones on the scene now than when I last got my current one.

The reason why I didn't replace the GPU earlier was due to the budget at the time of the build didn't allow for it.

Again, it works, but its not what I am after. I am looking for something that's capable of handling BeamNG at the resolution of my monitor (1920 x 1080) at around 60 FPS on all stock maps.

I am not after something that's overkill. Just trying to find the best card to do the job at a reasonable price.

If you guys have any suggestions while I look around as well, Please post them.

Basic specs;

Intel i5 4690k
    8 GB RAM
    MSI r9 270x 4GB (Looking to replace)

Monitor resolution; 1920 x 1080

If you need to know any other specs, let me know and I can get them.

I will also make sure to post ones I find aswell.

2. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

RX 480.

• Like Like x 2
  3. yolo-phil

yolo-phil
    Expand Collapse

The prices for Nvidia GTX 980 Ti is pretty low right now. (I have a Gigabyte one and i get like 100 FPS on Utah.).

A GTX980 is also fine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Looking into it. It doesn't look to be out yet but looks like something good at the price point.

Will keep it in mind.

5. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Rx480 looks super promising. If you have 200 dollars and and a devent cpu that's the best go fast part you can possibly get.

• Like Like x 2
  6. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Yup, RX480 will be $200 and launch in I think 4 or 5 days and it should be around GTX 980 levels of performance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Well what AMD promises aint always what we get.
    **same thing goes for Microcenter employees who decide to tell you what is a good and bad videocard.**
    :p

Either way I am definitely watching that card. if it is exactly as what its advertised to be, Its something I'd love to have. It'd fit both the requirements of that it gets the job done and at a reasonable price.

I am still looking for alternatives though just in case. but the RX 480 looks promising.

8. Tony Bamanebaeo

Tony Bamanebaeo
    Expand Collapse

GTX 1070, 349 USD for a card that can run any game ultra on 4k.

9. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Very true, I looked into it and reviews come out on the 27th so we'll know then. If its true it kinda makes me wish I had waited for it, but sure.

Yeah, not true at all. First of all you will not find one for as low as $349 and no graphics card can max every game at 4k. So please don't spread miss-information.

10. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Don't listen to whoever said the GTX 1070. It's an ok card, but it will NOT perform like he says it will.

Please, do your wallet a favor, and wait for the RX480 benchmarks to be released. Please, please, please do that.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

AMD havent claimed 200 for the 480 anyway. They claimed $200-300 bracket, which is still brilliant

• Like Like x 1
  12. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

The 8 gig version will be in the 230 range. 4 gigs will be 200. I also hear 2 of them beat a 1080 by a slim margin but until the cards are benched for real by the usual suspects it's all hearsay.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tony Bamanebaeo

Tony Bamanebaeo
    Expand Collapse

Hey, don't lie just because you are an AMD fan. Look at the benchmarks. My friend also has one for 4k and he gets 55 on witcher 3 ultra. No need to lie.

EDIT: (To redrobin) The RX 480 is a good alternative as well although AMD often promises more that they can actually deliver. Let's wait for the benchmarks.
    --- Post updated ---
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125875. There, 399 usd for an aftermarket gigabyte one. I'm not lying, please read my other comment towards redrobin. No need to be rude to me.

14. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

Well RX 480 is overhyped by community, now peoples expect from it to perform like GTX 980 when OCed for 200$ - this may be true but for this 299$ option, as AMD fan I can tell you it will be really good for it's price but nothing spectacular in DX 11 it will be just above GTX 970 in games (still nice deal for 200 bucks - talking about reference 4GB version). Nobody knows how it will work in DX12 or Vulkan everything depends on how game devs will support AMD with this APIs. There are some speculations that they may support a lot, because of AMD domination in console market, while a lot of AAA games are made for consoles first, so porting to PCs on the same API will help AMD a lot, but for indie devs, NVidia sponsored titles and PC exclusives only usually NVidia is going to win, because they have ~80% of PC market (right now it may change due to AMD tactic), and this 80% is more important to polish game for than 20% of customers. What AMD is trying to do in future - and it's good for all customers - is releasing multi core GPU, just like in CPUs. This could result in way smaller production costs, way better software for multi GPU setups, looks like they'll start this with Navi. Anyway to the point everything depends on your budget and if you can wait, GTX 1070 is really powerful card it's way way way better than RX 480, if you can afford it I'd take it, even if it's overkill for FHD right now, but it will be more future proof and it will rock in 1080p for years, while RX 480 may not handle all current games in 1080p at full settings, for example Witcher 3 or GTA V. Also I'd wait for Vega and NVidia response and eventually price cuts, but it's a lot of waiting ~3-5 months for reasonable information about them, and nobody can prove that Vega will be good. Second hand GTX 980Ti may also be a good option as their prices went down a lot. Actually I changed my PC for BeamNG only, but my PC was 7yo cheap build so I just didn't had more patience. Btw I'm going to change my R9 380 for RX 480, because I still can sold 380 for reasonable price and buy 480 for just a little bit more.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Question is, how will the R9 490 compare to the GTX 1070, and same thing goes for the R9 480 and GTX 1060. Why is everyone comparing two video cards that have absolutely nothing to do with each other in terms of price? The 1070 costs twice as much. And more than the 970 cost before, I checked. Every 10xx card is more expensive than its predecessor, just look at the 1080 with its $800. Don't know how they're going to sell that.

16. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

They are selling them really good, the problem is they can't produce them a lot because of problems with yields. It's obvious that 480 and 1070 are at way another price level, that's why I said wait of Vega if you can, in mean time there will be also 1060. It's so obvious that I will not add to my every sentence but 1070 is almost 2x cost of RX 480. I'm not comparing them, don't even try to just telling the facts that are known right now. If you'd have money to spent right now at GPU and you could easily spent 400$ would you wait for RX 480 or buy 1070? I'd buy AMD because I'd like to support them (which isn't that smart, but who cares that's my hypothetical money), but most peoples would choose GTX 1070 as it's way better. As I said everything depends on his BUDGET and PATIENCE, if he don't want to spent more than for example 250$ for GPU then RX 480 is the way to go, If he can spent 400$ then GTX 1070 is the way, if he can wait this 3-5 months which I mentioned earlier it's the way to go and then choose between more variety and competitive prices. I'm not talking about fact that RX 480 stays at price level of R9 380 and GTX 1070 is way more expensive than 970, but IMO there's also bigger improvement 970vs1070 than 380vs480, it's important only for fans of each side and that prices rising are not cool, but NVidia will not became monopolist, they will compete with AMD for long time. NV can set their prices even higher it's good for AMD, because a lot of peoples are getting angry because of this changes, also high-end class is small part of market, and GTX 1070 is high-end class with it's price and performance.

17. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Let's just say I have to wait and see, because I'll either buy a 1070 or a 490. I kinda think that the 1070 will be the more powerful card, but the 490 will probably have the better price/performance at $50 less. That's purely hypothetical though, because what do I know. It's just that lower end cards are mostly better in price/performance and AMD usually is too.

Also, have you noticed that AMD releases its midrange cards first while Nvidia is throwing the top-of-the-line stuff out first? I personally think AMDs tactic is the better one, but high-end-gamers without a budget would probably disagree

18. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

I knew about it like 2-3 months ago that Polaris isn't going to compete in high-end, I knew that it was going to be mid range and low end. Like many peoples who can do proper analysis. By die sizes, reports, leaks etc. AMD tactic is incredible clever, not only by releasing low end and mid range GPUs, I explained it a bit in past, so you shall remember. This mid range and low end GPUs tactic is good in terms of productivity. They are using 14nm LPP on Samsung licence (which is known and have been used before AMD used it so it have been polished) which is 9% smaller than TSMC 14nm would be, so they can produce lots of GPU cores on wafer, with possible defects only small percentage of cheap chips will be useless, and AMD have time to polish technology for bigger expensive chips aka Vega. They are aiming for biggest market, because most peoples in world can't afford high end, and ~84% of desktop CPUs are in range of 100-300 USD. Well this tactic happened before current gen consoles have started to be produced and it's called "semi-custom". They won PS4, X1, Nintendo which is 90% of console market share, yup cheap and with very little profit from 1 sold chip, but there are millions of this consoles (PS4 and X1 atm, but PS neo, X1S and Scorpio also will be based on AMD chips) which equal good income. A lot of bestsellers are made on consoles first then ported on to PCs, but AMD was doing a lot with M$ and Khronos with new APIs DX12 and Vulkan so porting this games will be way easier on AMD based PCs in future. With Polaris family it looks similar not much profit per sold piece, but high quantity of sale, while production is cheap it's pretty clever, it also guarantee Global Fundaries lots of wafers to produce so they keep good price for AMD. But releasing mid range and low end GPUs first have it's flaws, well AMD couldn't release high-end now because they didn't had money and they need more time than NVidia, but to the point, releasing the most powerful cards increases mind share, peoples are amazed with this technology, this performance increase etc, It's like with cars, most of us can't afford Ferrari or Lambo etc but they are known, respected and we would like to have them, similar is here, ask non computer guys which card would they buy AMD or NVidia most peoples will answer NVidia, why? Because it's better known it have very high mind share. Releasing mid range GPUs while it's very good move, because they can save a lot of money on it puts AMD in shadow of NVidia, investors aren't sure if AMD have technology and the power to compete, lot's customers also. But while AMD can't promote their products community of YouTube, reddit and many reviewers sites did it well for AMD, made people aware that this is product that they will be able to buy and it's performance is very good for it's price. Plus lots of rants to NVidia for gimpworks, which is kind of sabotage for AMD cards (ex. Gears of War on Windows10 and hidden NVidia code in it, but there are other things like this), that they don't made their code as open source, that they raise prices, that they may become monopolist and it's bad for every consumer etc. and this materials became very popular which is also very good for AMD. Their tactic become very well, but let's see what RX 480 offers, by the leaked vids (source YouTube channel GGPC) that have been deleted it looked hmpf... not good at all, but may be because of lack of proper drivers, I hope so... because it's performance was just a little bit better than mine 380, and this vids were legit. I don't want to do long posts so it's in a nutshell, if you wanna more evidence hit me on PM. Also good source is AdoredTV on YouTube - "AMD master plan" both parts, don't mind his analysis as perfect, but the data he collect is really interesting and his analysis are ok-isch.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tony Bamanebaeo

Tony Bamanebaeo
    Expand Collapse

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125875. TheT
    This guy gets it.

20. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice