any one else see a little bit of a glow?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by trm7, Apr 28, 2020.

1. trm7

trm7
    Expand Collapse

do any of you guys see a fain glow around this text on your computer?(when the picture fully opened) or is it my monitor? If so is there a fix?

2. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Not really, I think you are experiencing what is called IPS Glow. Or perhaps just backlight bleed.

IPS glow:

Backlight bleed:

They are very similar, unfortunately you can't fix this. You can reduce this by reducing the screen brightness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Actually, that'll be something entirely different. OP's monitor likely has local dimming, which can, on cheaper panels (especially with edge lit panels) cause a characteristic glow around light spots on a dark background. It's considered a feature, because it allows dark areas of the screen to stay darker, while boosting the lightest areas.
    Here's a proper explanation of the tech: https://www.cnet.com/news/led-local-dimming-explained/

4. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I second this. My monitors are VA with some local dimming attributes and there's a faint glow around the text. It's a common attribute to the way VA works (so how the pixels open and close). I prefer it, it's how VA get them silly silly contrast ratios.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice