Any Suggestions for changes ? will be building my self

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by masiboss, Nov 13, 2015.

1. masiboss

masiboss
    Expand Collapse

2. GeoTelnet111

GeoTelnet111
    Expand Collapse

Nice! Only thing I would be careful of is Seagate. I've had nothing but issues from their HDDs in the past, Western Digital is the way to go. WD Caviar Blacks are amazing for their price. :) Also, you really don't need that powerful of a PSU unless you plan on expanding to an SLI setup down the road - in that case go for it!

I'm actually building my second personal build, the last one was outdated. The 4690k + GTX 970 seems to be a very popular choice in gaming PCs, performance per dollar is the best in this combo. :D

Btw, if you want to save some money - buying from reddit.com/r/hardwareswap is the way to go. Amazing deals from amazing people, been selling/buying from there for a while and love it!

Here's my rig I'm in the process of building;
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LYP699

The Case I bought brand new from jet.com for $70 w/free shipping. It was an unbelievable deal.

Good Luck!

p.s. Never done liquid/water cooling, tell me how it goes! I've always been too afraid of spilling stuff everywhere... ;)

3. masiboss

masiboss
    Expand Collapse

#3 masiboss, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  4. rednecklawrence

rednecklawrence
    Expand Collapse

I'd go i7 all the way. Maybe even invest in a 6th gen i7 and a mobo for it with ddr4 ram. That'd run real nice...

5. masiboss

masiboss
    Expand Collapse

6. masiboss

masiboss
    Expand Collapse

i am not sure if i should go with a gigabyte g1 gtx 970?

7. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Go with the i5 you have. It's good enough, and if you do want more, go for the better platform i7 6700k instead of the 4790k.

The Asus GTX 970 is probably the best one out there, go with that one. Stay away from MSI, I've had them and they blow up and overheat.

Everything else is a very good choice - perhaps a Wifi card? You might need it if your ethernet doesn't reach the rig.

8. masiboss

masiboss
    Expand Collapse

i just laid a 25m cat 5e cable to my room ;)

9. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I have an MSI 970 TFV, haven't had any issues and it runs at a cool 55C full load, overclocked to 1416 MHz boost. I absolutely recommend it. A friend has a TFIV 760 and it also runs great. Cannot speak for non-gaming or AMD cards from MSI since I have no experience with them, but their current gaming lineup is excellent.

And the best 970 out there is probably the G1, really good at overclocking.

10. GeoTelnet111

GeoTelnet111
    Expand Collapse

25m cat 5e? Don't be too surprised if you get latency issues, I would buy a booster if I were you. That's a lot of distance the information has to travel.

Go with EVGA on the 970, I had one before I sold my old build and was fantastic.

Also, is the SSD going to be your primary game drive and the WD Green a storage drive? WD Greens are great for storage but that's about it. 5400RPM is kinda slow, maybe go with a WD Blue instead. Might be a little higher priced but well worth the extra performance gain.

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

25m is no issue at all. Cat5e is still rated for gigabit throughputs at 100m. Its also not latency thats an issue, even 1km of cat5e will be sub nanosecond latency, but signal noise and line capacitance would be too much causing transmission errors which then identifies as packet loss to the host device.

12. masiboss

masiboss
    Expand Collapse

i got no issues with the cable and the asus gtx970 is fixed and for the wd green *shrug*

13. masiboss

masiboss
    Expand Collapse

#13 masiboss, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  14. GeoTelnet111

GeoTelnet111
    Expand Collapse

Ahh I see. I can't remember if it were Cat 5 or 5e that had the low rating limit. Hm.

Looks good man! :D

15. masiboss

masiboss
    Expand Collapse

what?

16. GeoTelnet111

GeoTelnet111
    Expand Collapse

Oh nothing, I remember having some either Cat 5 or 5e that would have severe latency issues over 80ft. :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice