Any tips for making a car

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by F1fan_1970s, Dec 5, 2022.

1. F1fan_1970s

F1fan_1970s
    Expand Collapse

I am in need for some tips for making any type of car and any tips would really help me on my journey

2. Joobles

Joobles
    Expand Collapse

Start with just a part for an existing car instead of a whole car. It's important to do this in order to develop the knowledge and skills required for a whole car. For example, try making a new front bumper for a car that has a different shape, and adjust the jbeam so that it works right. Also, I suggest looking into other mods that have been made and picking them apart to see how they work. While not everyone can really learn from doing that, it can still be useful if you want to learn what certain stuff does since the official documentation is a bit lacking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JoshD

JoshD
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Angry_Bird

Angry_Bird
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. I would plan to make my first land mod starting in a month with the body based on the ETK, like RUF making cars based on Porsches or Brabus making cars based on Mercedes-Benz.

#4 Angry_Bird, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. F1fan_1970s

F1fan_1970s
    Expand Collapse

Thank you guys for all the help
    --- Post updated ---
    Also i forgot to add im a beginner...

6. floz

floz
    Expand Collapse

This is the way. I would suggest picking any car and start hacking on it. I've been making hacky mods for a long time, fixing things that I found annoying or missing in specific cars, only recently figured out how to package them properly so they show as new parts for cars.

The trick is all in the filesystem structure.
    upload_2022-12-10_23-3-26.png
    content\vehicles\common.zip
    contains a lot of things that are used across multiple vehicles
    whereas
    content\vehicles\covet.zip
    contains all the things used in the covet

when you make a new part, it goes under the mods\ folder
    if you want to unpack a car into it's own mod folder, you would create a folder under mods\unpacked. this folder can be named anything, we'll name it covet_modded in this example

mods\unpacked\covet_modded\vehicles\covet\

This folder now contains my modified parts (jbeam, dae, etc) for a covet. I am currently working on transplanting the flat-4 engine from the autobello into the MR covet... so I have the autobello.dae (model file) on-hand for referencing the names of flexbodies (parts of the pretty mesh/model).
    upload_2022-12-10_23-2-41.png .
    Your jbeam file can be named whatever you want. It's typically recommended that entirely custom stuff like this starts or ends with your username to prevent conflicts with other mods. The key is what the parts inside the jbeam file are named. In this case, I've taken the autobello engine and renamed it as a new type of covet engine.

upload_2022-12-10_23-7-34.png
    On line 2, "covet_engine_flat4" is a unique part identifier.
    this should not match any other existing part name​

On line 5, "1.5L F4 Engine" is the string that will be used in the in-game menu.

On line 9, "slotType":"covet_engine_midengine"
    this defines what type of part it is, in this case a covet engine for the MR unibody.

#6 floz, Dec 11, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice