Any Tips on making smooth roads?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by wilder, Feb 7, 2014.

1. wilder

wilder
    Expand Collapse

well ive been making some maps and well making smooth roads can be quite hard. i can do it but i am just wondering on how anyone else here does it. :D
    im trying to find a way a little less time consuming....

2. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

First I use the "flatten" tool to flatten the road,

then use the "smooth slope" and "smooth" tool to smooth road.

That is how I do it, If you want me to post some pictures on how to do it let me know
    Hope this helps :D

3. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

I do the same, You can also use the 'smooth heightmap' option after you have carved out your roads and did a few passes with the smooth tool. Smooth heightmap works really well to fix bumps in the road that you just can't get out with the tools, it will effect your whole map though, so you may need to go back and add some noise back in where you want it.

4. wilder

wilder
    Expand Collapse

yeah i figured the same thing out, after hours a couple months back. :( the thing is is that ive been trying to make idaho style roads or washington i guess, basically roads that are fast up to 65 (speed limit, but can handle 100 in some areas) while wrapping around mountains. but maintaining smooth roads that are only 15 wide max is hard, i can increase the size of the smooth tool on flat surfaces to increase road smoothness. but otherwise im stuck in an endless cycle. :( i don't want any imperfections, but that is hard... thanks though ive been trying to make a recipe for quick crazy-smooth roads.... :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice