1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Any up to date mapmaking tutorials ?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Firepower, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

Speaking of materials, do you place them on the terrain by hand or do you use another software to do it. I noticed on @Ouerbacker 's Crimson Valley that there was textures for the whole map, if I'm not mistaken ...

2. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

The autopaint function is your friend for map wide terrain textures. I generally paint in 5 degree
    increments because sometimes it takes a really long time to paint the whole map all at once.
    Usually 4 or 5 terrain materials painted at varying degrees, along with their groundcovers, can
    produce breathtaking results.

A note about terrain materials: the groundmodel LUA is what tells what material to do something.
    Rockydirt for instance is told by the GMLUA to emit dust and gravel particles. Asphalt is told
    to produce skidmarks and smoke, so forth and so on. When a custom terrain material is produced
    it will need to be manually inserted into the GMLUA slot that corresponds to what it is. The "note"
    about this is the GMLUA will not retain the custom material when BeamNG is updated. Apparently
    only stock BeamNG materials are retained after updates. It's a hassle I hope gets fixed because
    wonderful maps like Dpitkin's Rally Forest Snow lose all their attributes because those custom
    materials are lost after each update.

• Like Like x 1
  3. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I believe that Ouerbacker and and the BeamNG staff are producing the large 0.5m resolution "Diffuse" texture (texture which sets color) using World Machine 2. In those cases all detail comes from the Macro and Detail textures. This seems to really help blending when moving from one ground texture to another!

They may be editing it after that using other software (hopefully Ouerbacker or @LJFHutch will chime in). I wonder if LJFHutch's blender-road-workflow might also produce something raster for this purpose? I'd also assume that at least some Photoshop or GIMP tuneup is done to the big diffuse after it comes out of World Machine or L3DT. We're all perfectionists after all.

Note that regardless of the actual image used for the diffuse texture texture BeamNG.drive will require that you have all your different groundmodel types painted as separate textures on the terrain. It can import and export maps of the areas painted with different textures as 8bit PNG.

I'm sure that I'm leaving out a lot of info, and there's plenty I don't know on top of that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I'm sick, so this might not make perfect sense.

"large 0.5m resolution" Most of the macros -correction- "diffuses" on current maps are 1 meter per pixel. Crimson, jri, and a few others use this. Green Valley and Blackhills use roughly 1.5meters per pixel. Desert Highway uses something much higher.

Trynelgren and ECA do not use this method, though. Each of the textures on these maps adds together to create the final color.

"This seems to really help blending when moving from one ground texture to another!"
    Usually, this helps blending. But sometimes it doesn't. A lot of it comes down to the macro and detail textures.

"In those cases all detail comes from the Macro and Detail textures." Yeah... Colors are much more important than one might think, though.

"I'd also assume that at least some Photoshop or GIMP tuneup is done to the big diffuse after it comes out of World Machine or L3DT"

Not always... The Crimson Macro has not been in Gimp yet. Of course, it's going there once I feel in the mood to work on that map again.

However, it should be noted that repeated editing in Gimp or Photoshop will occasionally degrade the quality of the image. Blackhills is a good example of this problem.Its macro started as a lovely 16bit 4096 image. Now, it is an 8 bit 4096 with color banding issues.

Actually, the moral of this story is to use tools that support the proper bit level.

"It can import and export maps of the areas painted with different textures as 8bit PNG" Yeah, this is true.

#44 Ouerbacker, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain :)

6. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Good info and advice. I agree, the color can be a big deal. That's part of what's so exciting about this technique to me. I've closely scrutinized JRI and having the one big diffuse map (with many shades of color) is almost like having many different textures.

The only correction I need to make is your reference to the big color map texture as "Macro" - I'm confident that you mean to say "Diffuse"!

7. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, that was a mix up on my part. Usually, I think of the diffuse as a macro for some funny reason.

Also, there is one other thing that I want to add. Theoretically, the detail and macro layers don't have to be what they are. The detail can function as a macro and vice versa. If the detail is used as a macro, a normal map can be applied on a large scale. This can make simple vertical drops actually look like cliffs and not mushy mush. Here's an example of this.

normals
    BeamNG 2015-12-28 13-02-37-92.jpg
    no normals
    BeamNG 2015-12-28 13-03-14-84.jpg

Normals can really cover up a lot of texture problems.

8. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

That's an interesting effect (I personally think it looks a little weird, but not necessarily worse than the "mushy mush").

I think that the intended method for dealing with this sort of thing is the "Use Side Projection" checkbox in the Terrain Materials Editor. Take a look at Leap of Death for an example where this is implemented (this is the version I'm currently looking at). As you can see, there are two rock textures: "Rock" is side projected and used for cliffs, "Rock2" is projected in the normal way and used for more horizontal rock surfaces and transitions.

9. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

That was probably a pretty bad example. Trynelgren's and Crimson's versions of this method are much more refined.

Actually, the above map has both a side projected and normal projected rock.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

One of Ouerbackers' maps taught me the reverse detail/macro trick, very nice for getting macro
    textures the distance detail they need. Speaking of terrain macros, when I add a normal map
    from World Machine to the normal slot on the material it does nothing. I'm not using a detail
    texture (yet). I suppose the normal slot for terrain materials is for the detail only? Is that true
    for ALL materials?

11. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

Bump ! (sorry)
    So I'm creating my terrain and having a lot of fun. But there is a problem (again :p). I closed the edges of the map by raising the terrain ; the problem is that it looks retarded and I see on your maps that you use different methods. How should I close the borders ?
    Happy New Year by the way :D

Attached Files:

• screenshot_00078.png
    #51 Firepower, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  12. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

It's not a bump if it's relevant to the subject!

There are several ways to do this but I'll say if you are using the editor tools go ahead
    and have fun with it. Ideally you want terrain variety on both large and small scales.
    Large scale you want valleys and mountains, small scale you want ravines or cliffs.
    The whole premise of the map edges like this is to make the map continue believably
    into the distantce (duh), and have primary map features follow into the distance.
    Not sure where you stand with the terrain tools but with a little practice and some
    fearlessness quite a few nice variations can be had.

• Like Like x 1
  13. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

You looked at other maps and see that they used different methods.. then why not use the methods you saw in those maps? :confused:

Moving on to being helpful... ;-) Lots of the maps are walled in with water. (JRI, Small Island, Cliff, parts of other maps). Some maps use a low-detail backdrop mesh and then wall the player in to the terrain itself using trees (Hirochi, ECA). I think Port uses half of the terrain for play area and half as backdrop, walled off by trees. The other side of Port's play area is walled in by water.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I'm currently sold as gold on mesh DT's.
    screenshot_00179.png

Give Ouerbacker's tutorial a shot!

• Like Like x 1
  15. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

If you're editing with gimp I suggest getting a dev snapshot with 16bit colour support.

I also think the best way to do terrain borders is to either screenshot the border and use that to texture the lowpoly stuff or if you use a single overlay image to colour the terrain you can take that and edit it so that the sides are mirrored on the mesh from your terrain (hope you can make some sense of that :D). Here's what I've been working on (super secret):

Should be a little hard to spot the edge (it's BW because super secret but colours are almost a perfect match).

#55 LJFHutch, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

I experimented a lot in World Machine, followed a bunch of tutorials, and I got this. I'd like to import the texture in T3D but I have no idea on how to do it. I only know I have to make a new material, but I'm not even sure about that either :p

Attached Files:

• pit.png
  17. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Can you post a screen of your node array?

To export: Build your map at the size you want (1024, 2048 etc.).
    Go to device view, double click on the height node.
    Select 'set to' and choose the file path you want to save to and press save.
    Click on 'write output to disk', the map will build and save out to your file path.
    Minimize World Machine and go to where you saved the heightmap.
    Right click on it and copy it to the contents folder in BeamNG.
    Open the level in BeamNG you intend on putting the heightmap into, open the editor.
    Select 'add new heightmap', set the height and meters per pixel, import heightmap
    from the contents folder. Your heightmap should be installed.

The next step is getting your macro from the bitmap output node when you're ready.

18. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

The heightmap is already in game, but I don't know how to put this macro on top of it :)

Attached Files:

• Texture.png
  19. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Okay, double click your bitmap output and do the same file path output as with the heightmap.
    For now export as .png. Copy and paste from there to your terrain art folder.
    Open BeamNG and your level with the new heightmap loaded. Open terrain painter and select
    new layer. Rename the material 'yourleveldiffuse' and hit enter. Select the diffuse slot and Navigate to the terrain folder in your level and select the macro for the diffuse slot. Enter the map dimensions for it's size. SAVE.

From here on out it's all auto painting in 5 or 10 degree increments (my method), or the whole thing all.at once, doesn't matter. When your done you will have the macro covering the terrain.
    Next step is to see how it all works together with the stock terrain materials, mess around
    and have some fun!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

Nice ! I have it in game now :)
    ... But the textures are awful. The macro is 2048x2048 and so is the map. Should I make a bigger image ?

Attached Files:

• 2016-01-28_00001.jpg
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice