Apparently BeamNG is "playable" on Potato hardware.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Asem1123, May 19, 2019.

1. Asem1123

Asem1123
    Expand Collapse

I play BeamNG.drive on my potato AF laptop that my dad gave to me 5 years ago. It has an Intel i3 4030U that never achieves 2GHz, Intel HD 4400, and 4GB of RAM. All maps except Gridmap and Grid Small Pure, West Coast, and Italy show 15-20 fps on 720p lowest. On the grid maps, I get 30-60fps. On West Coast and Italy, I get 5-15 fps. I wasn't able to play on Italy until I upgraded to 10GB of RAM.

I'm pretty sure any modern laptop that uses an Intel Core i CPU or AMD Ryzen CPU will be able to play this game (I tried it on my dad's new ultrabook) if you're willing enough to turn the settings down to the lowest. I think Celerons and Pentiums' graphics (even the modern ones) are too bad to play BeamNG but I never tried.

2. Jetpackturtle

Jetpackturtle
    Expand Collapse

i3-2100 and HD 2000 can play techdemo, barely.

3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

For the greater good of humanity, I shall suffer trying it on an n4100 later (a modern celeron that is effectively an Intel atom on steroids)

• Like Like x 2
  4. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Yeah but do you use
    I N T E G R A T E D G R A P H I C S

• Like Like x 2
  5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

That is Intel HD4400 mentioned in first post.

I did play game first with Intel i3 6100 with integrated graphics and it was ok, might work bit better today with such lowly setup. Sure most games seem to be super easy for hardware today, so BeamNG is quite heavy still in comparison, but BeamNG has improved a lot.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Juanri

Juanri
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't use the word playable, but i can "run" beam on my laptop (quad core celeron) if you consider 4 fps playable

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Intel Celeron N4100 results are in.
    Grid map. Lowest settings. Default spawn. D15. 720p resolution. High performance profile in windows. Active cooling and thermal throttle limits removed (both aid performance on this chip).
    21fps when paused. 15-17 running

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

i mean 15fps isn't bad, it's what i get on low with full shadows on a dual core with integrated graphics

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

15 FPS and isn't bad are mutually exclusive terms

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

i must just have just acclimatised to the choppyness

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I'll admit the results are impressive considering it's currently running on a pc literally only the size of a raspberry pi. But i don't find it playable.
    Next up. Fallout 3 once it finishes downloading

12. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I can say from experience with an AMD Athlon 5350 (basically an Xbox One CPU clocked higher and minus 4 cores) coupled to and RX 550 it'll do around 25-30 FPS on grid map completely lowest settings at 1080p. However, a map even slightly more intense absolutely destroys FPS because the single core performance of the chip is so abysmal.

Depending on who you ask, this system isn't exactly potato, but to someone who daily drives the system listed below in my signature, has an unlocked i5 and a GTX 980 in an HTPC that sees minimal use, and an i5/GTX 1050 equipped laptop, it's most definitely the least powerful system in the fleet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice