Unsolved Auto locking differential

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Yota, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Yota

Yota
    Expand Collapse

Hello,

I'm a little sick of the LSD options as they're about as bad as an open diff unless you run the brake and the gas at the same time.

I wanted to make an actual auto locking/torque locking differential for the D-series, so I experimented with the race limited slip, only to find it doesn't lock in reverse. Maybe it would if I set coast lock rate to 100, but then it wouldn't be an auto locker :p (unless the coast lock rate refers to the coast side of the ring and pinion, rather than actually coasting??)

There's a couple parameters for locked differentials, and I was wondering if any could be used to simulate a torque locker.

2. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

open diff is more powerful than some people think, lsd even more so when wheeling. when on three (or even two!) wheels in my mom's crosstrek, the car will automatically use the brakes to add more resistive force to the wheels in the air, which in turn, causes the diff to start sending power to the grounded wheels. mcclaren uses a similar method of controlling the cornering on their supercars, albeit a bit more sophisticated.

the coast lock rate is just off-throttle rather than on-throttle. ex: if you are experiencing a lot of lift-off oversteer, you would open up the coast locking a bit.

an auto-locker is probably possible with some lua coding, it would just detect two wheelspeeds (RL & RR) and lock up 100% when they are a certain percentage different from eachother. if you have experience with lua, it should be a fairly straightforward task.
    also, take a look at using a viscous lsd. i'm only really used to seeing it as a center diff on awd setups, but it should remain open until a certain speed difference is met, at which point it would start to lock proportionately to the speed difference, according to the parameters you set. there may be some way of getting it to be 100% open until it starts to limit slip difference, then lock relatively suddently to 100% and stay that way until it's not needed anymore.

there are some pretty interesting electronically controlled lsd magic things coming to the game rather soon it seems, including some sort of haldex-style differential. there's probably a way to manipulate those when they are released.

#2 SebastianJDM, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  3. Yota

Yota
    Expand Collapse

Open and limited slip differentials have no business being on the trails I run. Most vehicles without true locking differentials won't even make it past the gate keeper lol. I've never actually run a lock-right/aussie locker, but they're very common with dropout 3rd type axles (Ford 9 inch, Toyota 8 inch). Mainly because they're cheap, and you don't have to do a gear reinstall with a lunchbox type locker. It just replaces your spider gears, rather than the whole carrier. That being said they're pretty weak once you get to 35 inch tire and above, and they have terrible road manners if you don't know what you're doing.

Yeah I figured. I was just wondering because when you're reversing, you're on the coast side of the ring and pinion.

I was hoping it could be done with the differentials we already have, rather than make something externally. An auto locker doesn't actually care about a differential in wheel speed. Rather, it's unlocked when coast, but it has a full lockup when the throttle is applied.

A stiff LSD would work if it could be set to 100% lockup on drive, and allow for a 0 Nm cross torque. Then a 0% lockup on coast. I suppose it would be easy with lua, because the game has a well developed torque flow. So you could use a regular open/locked type selectable, and make it a locked diff when it's receiving torque and an open diff when it's coasting.

It's a bit over my head, but probably wouldn't be a bad starting project. And there's tons of information on the forums. I'll look into it :)

4. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Sooooo.... if I am gathering this right... you want 100% lockup that engages when there is a positive net torque with 0 intervention from you right?

I don't know if that's totally possible (It might be... truthfully haven't tried yet) but I DO know it is totally doable to make a Torsen Differential. Your intervening would be to just touch the brakes when you want it to lock up, but it does work very very well.

https://www.beamng.com/threads/torsen-differential.52065/page-2

This may not be EXACTLY what you want... but it's like... eh... 90% of the way there? I have actually implemented this in the B1 mod I am helping with and it does work VERY well with very little intervention from the driver. I would say it takes about 20 to 50% brake engagement to fully lock up (depending on the differential ratio that is)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

sorry, i misunderstood the function of an automatic locker. use a race LSD, do 100% locking and 0% reverse locking, with a low enough preload to make sure it's unlocked when normally driving around and you don't tear things up (or 100% preload if you really do want it always locked on throttle (am i getting this backwards?)). should be pretty much what you're looking for. it won't lock in reverse, BUT you can run a limited slip locker if you need the functionality. auto-locker normally with a manual lockup function when you need that. i believe the pre-runner mod uses that. i just run lockers on my crawler, keeping them fully open until i need them locked up, or until i get to a tougher climb. it has the flex to be able to utilize the diff even when opened up. not sure why you wouldn't use that. even a welded diff would be better, as long as it's going to be offroad most of it's life.

also yeah, open diff is obviously no good for tough obstacles, especially rocks and uneven roads, i was mainly thinking about light offroading and mudding. me and a buddy got stuck in some very soft and deep mud at one point, one wheel in the air, 4wd wouldn't engage. so we disconnected the ebrake cable from the wheel that was on the ground, gave it full ebrake (and a bit of brake), and it put enough power to the wheel to pull us out no problem. for most people who buy these offroad vehicles just to make their life easier, rather than to actually offroad, they should get by just fine with their open diff, even when the situation gets a bit tricky, especially if they have a posi or something

6. Yota

Yota
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that's pretty much it. They're unlocked on coast and full lockup on drive.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I use the selectable and welded diffs. It's just that I want to simulate that cheaper side of wheeling. Not sure if you're ever priced out a good selectable locker install, but it can be upwards of 1700 dollars. That doesn't include the compressor or electrical side of things either. A lunchbox locker (torque locker/auto locker/etc.) can be installed at home for a few hundred dollars, and it's safer/easier/stronger than a welded differential.

I run front and rear electric lockers in my truck. They're stronger than an auto locker, nicer to drive than a spool, and cheaper than an ARB/Harrop.

backedit.png

7. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

8. Yota

Yota
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. They're just cheapie 14 inch Bilstein 5125s. Front and rear.

• Like Like x 1
  9. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice