Ban on "What BeamNG cars are based off?" type of threads

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Ytrewq, Feb 16, 2018.

?

Should threads like these be banned?

1. Yes

80.9%
  2. No

19.1%
  1. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Threads like "What BeamNG cars are based off?", "What are BeamNG cars in real life?", "What is *insert a BeamNG car* in real life/ based on?", "I found the real life version of *insert a BeamNG car*!!!" should be banned.
    They serve no purpose and clutter up the forum. They are home to arguments and flamewars. Albeit this topic has been around since the creation of this forum, new threads on it appear every week.
    Threads on the aforementioned topic should be banned and information about that added to the forum rules. In case such thread is made, it should be removed. Users who make such threads should be treated like any other rule breakers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jota3214™

Jota3214™
    Expand Collapse

Oh man, I agree with u, I see that threads and it's like, only spam clone threads of the original
    Agree 100% with u :)

3. alex hart

alex hart
    Expand Collapse

I couldn't agree more. I would add that it's nice to separate the Beamng cars from real life anyway, I like to immerse myself in the Beamng universe without comparing it to real life constantly. I would also agree that the threads are pointless and only create clutter.

4. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Somehow a flamewar is getting it's beginnings in a thread that's against a topic that causes flamewars.
    Great job guys, you couldn't just ignore each other could you.

5. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I'm on the fence for this one. You have a valid point, but I can also see where this could go downhill. I'd argue for it, because it can be an interesting topic if it isn't derailed.

Some users make blatant conclusions on what vehicle X is based off of, but what about the ones that has more conclusive evidence? And sets a better example for topics like this?

Take me for example: I conclude that the LeGran was undoubtedly based on the Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, even though other cars like the Chevrolet Celebrity was also considered, at least from what I've heard.

What I can agree on is slowing down the number of threads made. You don't need too many threads to discuss what the cars are based on.

6. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I admit many of them get stupid fast, but banning these threads would just migrate the discussion to the official content threads, which would add what is to me the much more annoying "stop bumping official content threads" comments to the mix.

The threads are easy to ignore if you want to, and I like discussing it on the rare occasion a civil discussion is a possibility. It isn't like all 25 vehicles in game/known development were 100% designed within BeamNG. Some of them are mechanically and ascetically very similar to certain real life cars. Gabester himself even described the Hopper's mechanics as "basically a Wrangler" in the thread Small Ibishu 4x4 Suv Creation 'the Sparrow'. With the exception of the SBR4, they all have their aesthetic and mechanical inspiration and starting points and banning people from discussing the real life automotive parallels in a game about realistic driving seems silly, even if only a small percent of them are decent discussions.

#6 ManfredE3, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  7. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

What does this have to do with this topic?
    The problem is, everything that could be discussed in a civil way has already been discussed years ago.
    You can't really bump an official content thread. I'd rather see "what's based on" discussions there than in countless threads all over the forum.

8. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Exactly, I was just commenting on it.

9. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

The problem is not really the argument per se, it's rather:

- People discussing it like they discovered some inexplicable secret ("The Covet looks like a Civic!!!", you don't say...?).
    - People ignoring counter-arguments ("The ETK i-Series is clearly an Audi 80!!!" even though it looks nothing like it except for the rectangular headlights...).
    - People discussing this as if it was a matter of life and death ("Gavril is GM because my mother said so!").
    - People beating the dead horse ("Did you know X looks like Y?" for the nth time, despite the reiterate devs' claims of mixing multiple influences in their vehicles).

People, indeed. Taking away this theme only moves the sterile arguments somewhere else IMO.

10. Jota3214™

Jota3214™
    Expand Collapse

I agree with u man

11. The Gas Station

The Gas Station
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I know people can be tired of seeing those threads over and over, but I got 3 words for you:
    Freedom of speech.

You don't like these threads? Me too. So we can all just scroll along. There are people who do enjoy these threads and it's their right to continue arguing over whether the Le-gran is more buick or oldsmobile.

12. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

I agree.

13. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Here are some more words. This site is owned by a private company, so freedom of speech doesn't apply here.

14. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

I agree with all these points, people are way too stubborn when discussing this topic and it serves no good purpose.

15. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

TBH threads like this should be banned. It's pure whining, complaining and just harming the forums. You see a thread you don't like? Grow a fucking pair and ignore it.

16. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

So...why don't you do that?

17. SubaruSTI07™

SubaruSTI07™
    Expand Collapse

lel

18. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Lmao

19. alex hart

alex hart
    Expand Collapse

Well everyone was in agreement until you showed up...

20. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I know the reason for this but I'm not going to say it because it's a point and blame situation..
    Lets just say it has something to do with someone's reply to my comment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice