On Hold Banger Racing Manana

Discussion in 'Land' started by Leet34, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Hi guys, Im working on a simple car mod, which will bring us ability to do Banger Racing style races as soon as race update is released. This is "Manana" converted from GTA SA, the model is very low poly and when we combine it with not really complex N/B structure, we will probably be able to make races with 20+ of these cars without any big FPS loss (or atleast i hope so). Ive edited the mesh to look more stripped so people recognize that this car is made for Demolition Derbies or Banger Racing.
    Also, there was a huge unrealism in terms of scale of this car, so ive rescaled it to meet dimensions of its real life counter part, Dodge Shadow. As soon as i finish this car i plan on converting another car from the same game, "Clover" so there would be more car variation in races.

However while progressing with N/B structure, i have some problems, such as really annoying looking spikes when it destroys, i will appreciate if someone can give me tips on how to fix these.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Credits: Rockstar Games for the model

#1 Leet34, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. falcon xr8

falcon xr8
    Expand Collapse

I loved this car in gta. And this mod will be awesome. Keep up the good work

3. argilla11

argilla11
    Expand Collapse

It looks like your beams are breaking and it's causing the nodes to go haywire. You may need to change the beam's properties. Also I would make the jbeam a little more complicated, I understand that you want to be able to simulate a lot of them but they will never deform nicely with such a simple jbeam.

4. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Actually ive tried tweaking them and they were still the same with testing multiple spring/damp/deformation values. I dont really care about super realistic destruction, i want the needed performance, but i will see what i can do and i will make it more complicated on places of the spikes etc.

5. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Considering how low poly SA meshes are, a very simple jbeam done right would work well as far as deformation and performance.

6. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Can you post a pic of the bare jbeam structure? Weird stuff happens when the mesh is too far away from any nodes, and it can also mess up when there isn't a nice clean pattern of beams around the exterior. For example if nodes are connected with crossing beams but without creating the rectangular structure on the outside. Also, try making all your beamstrengths flt_max, but keep the deform value low.

7. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

I will post screens within an hour, beamstrenght is set to "flt_max" allready, im sure of that. Ive also tried removing some of the crossing beams which cross by the place where it produces spikes, that makes it less bouncy but doesnt help in anything else.

BeamNG 2014-07-12 09-18-22-01.png

BeamNG 2014-07-12 09-18-25-56.png

BeamNG 2014-07-12 09-18-46-40.png

BeamNG 2014-07-12 09-19-28-22.jpg

And since im facing very similiar problem with trunk, but in this case not so intensive, i will create N/B structure for engine and if it gets fixed i will do same for trunk.

Another little problem i have now is ref node. I have created a center node which is located in centre of underbody, however even after many tweaking and connecting with another nodes the camera tends to vibrate alot.

#7 Leet34, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  8. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I am very far from an expert on jbeam, but I don't see an obvious flaw that would cause that kind of craziness. Does the jbeam still look fairly orderly after a crash, but just the mesh is wonky? One thought: If you have different groups for the nodes then I think you have to make sure the body mesh is bound to all of the groups in the flexbodies section.

9. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

N/Bs look normal even after hard crashes and after these spikes appear, so its probably the problem im talking about, that the place where it does the crazy stuff needs more nodes and their connection.

EDIT: Ive built N/B structure for engine, but even after that there are still the annoying spikes :/

Similiar problem was present in Moonhawk, so Gabester could help me a little with this issue.

#9 Leet34, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  10. Blockman

Blockman
    Expand Collapse

Always love GTA cars.

OT: hey leet, what happened to your peel p50?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Lost interest in spending alot of time on modeling :/

Started working on materials !

1.png

2.png

3.png

Such simple and low res textures, but normal and specular maps make them look beautiful :D

#11 Leet34, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  12. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Big update, annoying spikes bug is now fixed !
    Turned out that making simple box structure for engine didnt fix it, however after i separted engine from chasis 99% of the bug is now fixed.
    There are still some small issues about little spikes after extreme deformation and stretching, however those are not that much annoying and they dont happen often at all.
    I have overally made N/B structure more complex, but only on places where it was needed because of spikes and other annoying crap.

Some screens

13. Commando11

Commando11
    Expand Collapse

Looking good. :D

14. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Looks great, and I look forward to seeing how many of these we can run at once over the cars of standard detail level.

Also, banger racers typically have reinforcement welded to the sides to keep the doors closed, so perhaps the polys and jbeam could be simplified by leaving the doors with the body shell, perhaps with a deep seam but not an actual separate part, then the jbeam can be simplified again.

15. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Im glad you like this :D

I allready tried (without suspension, wheels and other stuff which i will make later) spawning 6 of these and in fact there was no FPS difference for me yet, even in fact that when i spawn 2 pigeons at once my fps goes down from 50 to 30 (quadcore CPU).
    I saw that the doors are pretty much welded to rest of the chassis, however are you sure that IRL they wouldnt fall off after hard hits ? I wanted to save some N/Bs, but not so much that i must make every part welded to the chassis :D. Also do you know how is it with hood and boot?
    There is another small bug to fix, which caused holder of steering wheel to get stretched way up to point out of window where it shouldnt be :D.

16. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I could see the window edge or the corners peeling a bit if the door got snagged but not really. Obviously the rules vary but locally they tend to look like this:

(imported from here)

side impact I beam, rudimentary cage, window net, and often large wingnut style hood "pins"

17. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Oh well thanks for info, i see on the picture that the yellow car has got doors welded, however the gray-green car in background clearly has got seam in the place, its probably not required to weld doors with chassis, so i will make them separted. Also it doesnt really matter if the car will miss a feature or not, because i wanted some free style banger racing class. Pretty much i want a rollcage-less car, however i will add window cage.

18. Budnytrain

Budnytrain
    Expand Collapse

It would be great if you could have a go at making an English Banger car, none of this shitty American Demo Derby rubbish. Welded doors footplate, doorplates, everything stripped out, no glass etc, and a H frame, which is a bit like a roll cage but allows the car to bend more. post-6178-0-59923600-1382825956.jpg The MK2 Granada is probably the most iconic Banger car of all time, looks a bit similar to what you're doing as well.

19. bungal341

bungal341
    Expand Collapse

ive got a mk2 granada modle all ready as a banger but just cant put it in game or the NB :confused:

Attached Files:

• MK2 Granada banger .jpg
  20. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Ok then, i will base it off of English Bangers, but im still not sure about the window cage, because i saw none of these cars have them. BTW what do you mean by footplate ?

But now as i progress with the car im having a big problem with wheels. I have them set up into position, but not really attached much yet, but the problem is that visible mesh is rotating around the car while when i checked pivots they are centered.

No man now im busy enough. You could just learn jbeam work, its not that hard.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice