Basic Vehicle Modding Help

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by CRGZ, Sep 12, 2020.

1. CRGZ

CRGZ
    Expand Collapse

So I've decided to start modding vehicles of my own and have trouble starting.
    (Note: If I do start doing this as a main hobby, most to all mods will be public. I will focus primary on modern cars and motorcycles).

I have many questions as to:
    - Where do I find good quality blueprints (preferably HD)
    - How should I position the (vehicles) blueprints in order to add meshes?
    - Which part of the blueprint should I apply meshes on? (Just the chassis?)
    - How do I texture the vehicle (Interior & Exterior)
    - How do I create the JBeam for the vehicles?
    - How do I make working mechanical parts such as: The engine, working suspension, steering wheel, dashboard. lights, etc.
    - How do I tune engine parts that will affect: Torque, RPM, CC, etc.
    - When creating a motorcycle mod, will counter steering/steering be applied automatically?
    - How do I implement the model into the game?

These questions are mostly to help my modding journey but is also aimed at helping newer mod creators with the help of your comments.

Please do not comment useless things as I, along with many need help.
    My First vehicle mod that I may attempt to create is the Yamaha 2016 YZF-R6 or R1, depending on which blueprint is easier. (Below is the R1. Won't show the R6 because they look very similar. The R1 is just more powerful [Liter bike])

A second choice is the Infiniti QX60.

Again, I am a beginner so please, if you need to criticize any of my questions, do it constructively.

Thanks
    - CRGZ

2. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Welcome & glad that you're interested in modding, but lemme tell you, it will NOT be an easy adventure... not even close to easy, especially when you're just starting out.
    To find blueprints, you just simple have to search on the internet. The best way is to search for carname blueprint & it should show you a bunch of them. Obviously, it's the best to go for ones that have the front, side, rear & top views as those are the views that you would need. You can get along mostly fine without a top view, but it will definitely be more irritating to work with than with all the views available.

As for your next point which also ties into the above one, aligning blueprints is easy. The most important thing to remember that you should NOT scale them up or down, as aligning them will be a huge pain & just pretty much a waste of time. To add an image (or blueprint in your case) in Blender, you delete all the default entities in the Viewport by pressing A on your keyboard & then X. After that's done, you press Num 3 on the Number pad to go into the side view. When you're done with that, you press Shift + A, Image -> Background & search for where-ever you saved the blueprint.

upload_2020-9-14_23-41-32.png

After you find & select it, it will appear in the Viewport. To move it around to reposition, you press G like with any other object & then either X, Y or Z depending on which axis you want to move the image on. Now you have to find a "reference point" on the blueprint which will serve as a way of aligning the side & top views. I usually try to use something on the door, but also the gap between the door & the rest of the body is useful. It should be something more or less in the middle of the car so it makes your life easier afterward. For adding other views, it's the same procedure but you replace Num 3 with Num 1, Ctrl + Num 1 & Num 7 for front, rear & top views respectively. The top view is a bit tricky as it requires you to rotate the blueprint by 90*, but that's pretty easy to achieve because after adding the blueprint, you press R, Z, type -90 & hit Enter to have it rotated nicely & precisely. I shall add that the front, rear & side view should have the bottom of the car tires right on the world axis (red or green line, depending on the view) to not cause yourself problems but also it's important to have the world axis "cut" through the middle of the car so then you can easily create a mirrored version of it on the other side.

On this image you can see what I mean:
    upload_2020-9-14_23-30-5.png

The red arrows show the bottom of the tires "resting" on the world axis, while the blue circle shows the point of reference I used for the side & top as that body element was visible from both of them.

Here you can see the front, rear & top views with the world axis cutting right through the middle of the car
    upload_2020-9-14_23-32-2.png upload_2020-9-14_23-32-13.png upload_2020-9-14_23-32-22.png

Now, for the hardest part; the modeling. I would suggest that you'd spend a few days on getting used to Blender & its UI, but also memorizing a bunch of keyboard shortcuts which will make your modeling endeavour much easier instead of having to look through all the menus (pressing Space is also a good way to find an option). Since you're new to modeling, creating a model will not be easy as you will make a lot of mistakes like everyone, but after you gain some experience from fooling around with different shapes & models, you could begin to make some boxy-ish vehicle, as that will teach you about straight lines but also curved surfaces (like on the car above). As for what parts you need to model for the car/bike, it's the best to look at the official BeamNG vehicles (\Steam\steamapps\common\BeamNG.drive\content\vehicles) & try to replicate around the same amount of models, which, depending on the car, can have a bunch of variations of just one mesh (model). Obviously, you don't have to create all the neccessary parts & can keep the models to the bare minimum, but then the mod might not look as good as you would hope for.

I would answer the rest of the question, but I'm not any good at jbeaming & only "meh" at texturing, so I'd advise you to find someone who knows that subject as it also isn't easy, just like modeling, hence my BeamNG mods take a bunch of months up to over a year to create. Contacting @Blijo about his Modding For Dummies (MFD) server is probably the best way to find someone who can help you with any issues you will encounter.

Hope your mod development will go great in the future :)

3. M5HAYA.

M5HAYA.
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Hi, umm don't be mad at me or anything, but do u have a mod for that file, or is it still WIP?
    if theres a mod, can u send it to me, or file then PM me. thx

#4 M5HAYA., Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  4. LucasBE

LucasBE
    Expand Collapse

Which file?

5. M5HAYA.

M5HAYA.
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

like, for the nissan S-cargo he is making.

6. LucasBE

LucasBE
    Expand Collapse

???
    he just showed blueprints of the car to someone that needed help setting up blueprints in a 3D modeling software

7. SuperShep1

SuperShep1
    Expand Collapse

can you PLEASE stop asking for things that people have made/making.

8. M5HAYA.

M5HAYA.
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I literally just said dont be mad, Jeez forum users in beamng

9. LucasBE

LucasBE
    Expand Collapse

That doesn't give you the right to beg for mods everywhere

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice