1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Beam only uses one core?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by redrobin, May 11, 2014.

1. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Why? Wouldn't it be more efficient to split the processing up among all 6 of my cores rather than crowding it all up on one? I'm clearly missing something here.
    Untitled.jpg

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

1 thread can only execute on 1 core at a time. BeamNG uses 1 thread per vehicle. So 1 car only using 1 core is very normal. Synchronising 1 car across multiple threads would however be rather difficult.

3. bernard989

bernard989
    Expand Collapse

Unregistered Version?

4. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Oh, I see. So, in theory, I can run 6 cars?

We'll gloss over that. I bought the game, it's my screenshot software. Apple keyboards don't have a print screen button.

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Well you can run multiple threads to a core (and infact your system already will be). So in theory you could run more than 6 cars, but yeah you can run 6 cars each with their own core (7 would then have 2 cars sharing a core etc).

6. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Ok, explains why demo derbies are always 15 FPS or lower. Thanks for helping with my understanding of this. Maybe I should change my views on "More physical cores are better than per core performance."

7. bernard989

bernard989
    Expand Collapse

I don't think it is that simple. When I have 1 vehicle the load is spread across all 4 physical cores (I have a i5 4670k). When I have more vehicles the load on each core goes up.

8. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I'll apply my very vague knowledge of this. It might be background calculations? I noticed that too. 2 cars and the load on core #2 (or the 3rd physical core) is 50% or there about.

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Torque3d has another thread of its own plus you have all your normal windows tasks (of which there are hundreds) which can easily account for the other 50% together. Its just the CPU requirements of these are far less than those for a BeamNG vehicle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice