1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

beamNG.drive physical copy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by loba04, Feb 25, 2019.

1. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

is there, or there will ever be a version of beamng released in physical form. Obviously on PC, i don't want to start the age old question of "does beamng run on consolles".

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

you could burn it to a disc in some form, but that's piracy

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

I'm just checking the forums, see "Beamng drive physical copy" and go "Wait What?"

But yeah. I have no business to ask why, but I feel like that's illegal, or atleast shunned in some way. Also, the game would have to be finished (I think) for it to work.

4. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

He isn't asking if he can himself, he is asking if there will be one for sale officially.

It could make for a nice collectors edition, but there isn't a practical reason for it.

As for updates, other software I know with such a system give a key for whatever platform it's usually sold through to recieve updates.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Nobody does physical copies anymore, and I hate that! I have a collection of game boxes from the '90s and early 00's that represent such a change in the industry. Beautiful metallic embossed boxes with windows to see inside them, to cardboard boxes with flaps that open/slide open, to just plain boxes, to small boxes, to literally nothing. Now any game that comes out is 60gb download (4 days on my internet) and by the time you've got it, there's another 16gb update available AND you need to download 4-8gb updates randomly because, "Oh we changed the font on this one part you don't use."

So as a physical copy is nice to have, these days with game patches being equal or larger than a physical disc, it's just not worth it and as a result it's become almost boutique and thus too expensive for the game dev's to produce. When 0.01% of the buyers are willing to pay a premium, it's a loss for the company.

Again, I hate it! =D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

The updates are a nightmare, i know that because, as the gaming dinosaur geek i am, i bought euro truck simulator 2 and amerivan truck simulator on disk and DLC and updates require an email to a friend at SCS every time...

7. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

my internet connection is faster than the read rate of disc drives ¯\_( ͠° ͟ʖ ͠° )_/¯

enjoy owning a disc that will rot away in time. ~20% of my game collection was unreadable when I archived them a few years ago, not due to scratches, with ages in the range of 1995-2010. some of the discs had visible holes rotten through the foil.

archiving a disc image is just as "illegal" as having a cracked exe.

like, i guess i get if you want some kind of physical momento, but "for the disc" is a pretty dumb one, for most people, in the current year. who tf has a bluray drive on their PC?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Jaime Palmer

Jaime Palmer
    Expand Collapse

Is like music, the companies they just removed content from the cd's, I remember the time when you had a cd with the book with all lyrics and information and was awesome, now just download the music and search for what you want... We loose some "magic" but we gain practicality.
    In games I would never go back, steam just works fine for me, I don't need physical copies, why should I need them for?, also I have some old CD's they just have deteriorated over time, not used for years and the bright coat just peels off... so annoying

9. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

I think that having games in digital form is practical and all but you only have a license to play and download an encrypted part of a game. With dvd's you own the game, you can download it in your pc, you don't need to be attached to wifi to play (i know that steam has a offline mode bit it's quite poopy) and it gives me stisfaction to look at my collection, pull out SCAR, find a bloody external dvd drive, reboot the computer to windows vista and enjoy the lack of anti-aliasing; but i'm palying a game that can stand on it's own without dlc or online. That has to do with the fact that i'm nostalgic, but i like that way

10. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

you really don't own it though. the license is basically the same as digital distribution. there's no practical difference between downloading from a server and installing from a disc, and using an online auth as a key or a disc as a key. this is clearly just nostalgia plus collection/hoarding lizard brain mentality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

Let's suppose, for joke, that valve has a stroke and steam becomes literally dust (sorry for the bad joke :) ): what do you have now? A big pile of nothing, that you paid for. to make an example i buy every month a car magazine, i love reading it and now, after 6 years, i have 1 (big) shelf dedicated only to it. would it be more practical to go on the internet? yes. Would i have met a world renown car collector (mario righini for anyone that is interested) if i didn't buy it every month and win a prize? no. Would i be apart of the car comunity if i did't buy it? probably yes but it would have been much harder to feel actually apart of it. I don't like being called a hoarding lizard (for the nostalgia i have no excuse :) ) just beacuse i find to be a fullfilling hobby to collect games, everybody has a hobby, and collecting (and palying) games are mine, and i think it is the one of many people on these forums.

12. -WhistlerXPWhistler7

-WhistlerXPWhistler7
    Expand Collapse

No no no big illegal...

13. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

I turn to piracy.

This is no different from making an image of your disc before it crumbles to dust from the inexorable passage of time.

14. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Making a copy of your own copy for your own backup is fine imho. Piracy is only an issue when you share things to people.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

making a backup of steam games is a nightmare but i suppose that if you already bought the game, and as long as you don't share it, it isn't piracy. the thing that i would love to see is a version of beamng on an official dvd, mabye a limited run collectors edition

16. veyasan.ragulan

veyasan.ragulan
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't think BeamNG would release CD versions of the game: to much logistical obstacles and the amount of people who buy disc games thses days is overwhelmed by people who prefer digital gamestores. I'd you really want to, you could make your own physical copy, making the cover, burning the game to a disc, etc. ,as long as you aren't sharing the software to people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

i perfectly agree with you but i meant a limited special edition with all sorts of stuff like t-shirta and mabye a model of one of the in-game cars

• Like Like x 1
  18. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Usually a game would have to be towards the billion dollar mark for that sort of stuff to occur.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice