1. Stuck, Having problems with creating your mod? Let us help you: Mod Support

Released BeamNG.drive's Visual Enhancement Project (VEP) - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by cessni, Feb 19, 2016.

1. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

Welcome

Welcome to my first contribution to this forum.

I present you a graphical improvement for BeamNG.drive which makes use of the advanced post-processing tool ReShade to deliver a fresh and revamped realistic image in real time. It features an exquisite balance of high quality SMAA, DEPTH OF FIELD, HDR, HPD, GAUSS, LUMASHARPEN, VIBRANCE, LIFT GAMMA GAIN, COLOR MOD, FILMIC PASS and CROSS PROCESS. The performance is excelent, only about -5 FPS or less, the lowest from all presets to the date.

This tool, together with my texture mods below, conform the Visual Enhancement Project (VEP).

I recommend you first have a look at the thread guide below and please read carefully every section for a more fluid and trouble-free experience, as they provide very precise and useful information about this project. Almost every problem you may encounter is already solved in the troubleshooting section. Enjoy!

Thread Guide
    • Introduction
    • Screenshots
    • Install Instructions
    • Troubleshooting
    • Additional Information
    • Texture Mods
    • Did You Know...?
    • User Reviews
    • User Testimonials
    • Special Thanks

Introduction

I am just a random user like you who got enough from the outdated visuals of BeamNG.drive.

After years of little to no change, thinking that decent graphics were incompatible with such an advanced real-time physics simulation, I finally understood that the Torque3D engine was already long ago giving its best. This is why I stopped expecting a noticeable graphical improvement from the developers (at least on the medium term), and hence why I started trying different ReShade presets. But none of them convinced me, either because they took too many FPS, because they broke the original look of the game instead of enhancing it, because they did not result in the big change I was expecting, or all at once. So I realised that if I wanted a change, I had to do it myself.

I then created the texture mods, as I thought it was pointless to release a ReShade preset without replacing some of the actual game files responsible for what I though were pretty poor effects clamoring for a change.

Screenshots

It is easier to appreciate the hidden beauty of BeamNG.drive in these still images. I also included before-and-after screenshots to show the drastic improvement achieved with ReShade.

BeamNG.Drive.x64 2016-04-07 19-55-38 (1).png BeamNG.Drive.x64 2016-04-07 21-19-25.png BeamNG.Drive.x64 2016-06-02 22-35-00.png
    BeamNG.Drive.x64 2016-06-04 00-56-43.png BeamNGDrivex642016-06-0210-10-18.png wallpaper.png
    VQ3mYwc.png Wallpaper15.png BeamNGDrivex642016-02-2517-21-08.png
    Wallpaper9.png BeamNGDrivex642016-02-2014-49-34.png BeamNGDrivex642016-02-2119-40-15.png

BeamNGDrivex64_2016-02-16_08-06-01.pngBeamNGDrivex642016-02-1608-06-042.png
    BeamNGDrivex642016-02-2120-20-44.pngBeamNGDrivex642016-02-2120-03-41.png
    Install Instructions
    1. Download ReShade Framework 1.1 (~22 MB).
    2. Extract the "ReShade" folder, "ReShade.fx" and "ReShade64.dll" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BeamNG.drive\Bin64".
    3. Rename "ReShade64.dll" to "d3d11.dll".
    4. Download "cessni's 1.3.zip" below (~24 KB).
    5. Extract all 4 files into the "ReShade" folder and replace.
    6. Done. Launch the game.

Troubleshooting
    • Menu too bright? Change background color.
    • Colours too washed out (or bright) OR colours too dark and colorful? Set your gamma back to 1.0.
    • Still too washed out (or bright) AND you are using a Nvidia GPU with HDMI cable? Click here.
    • Still too colorful? Open "SweetFX.cfg" and replace 1 for 0 in "USE_VIBRANCE 1".
    • Performance too bad? Disable in-game antialiasing (Preset already includes quality SMAA).
    • Still too bad? Open "SweetFX.cfg" and "McFX.cfg". Replace 1 for 0 in "USE_SMAA 1" and "USE_DEPTHOFFIELD 1", respectively.
    • Key not working/Key not suitable for you? Edit "Common.cfg" with the information provided in "ReShade/PersonalFiles/KeyCodes.h".

Additional Information
    • Use "Scroll Lock" key to toggle the preset.
    • Use "Print Screen" key to take screenshots. They are stored in the "Bin64" folder.
    • Must have mods: Car Lights - Engine Sounds - Skid Sound - Crash Sound.
    • Also try Car_Killer's preset. He inspired me to make mine.
    • NEW! Try ignito's preset if you want an alternative and darker version (more info in link).
    • To uninstall delete the "ReShade" folder, "ReShade.fx", and "d3d11.dll" in the "Bin64" folder.

Texture Mods

The other part of the VEP. The following mods were especially designed to improve the inmersion of the game by replacing some of the default textures and decals with entirely new ones, created from scratch using real life images. They work wonderfully with the preset, and don't involve any fps hit.

So what are you waiting for? Download them now!

Did You Know...?

Did you know cessni's 1.3 (14/02/2016) has always been and still is...

- The lightest (performance-wise)
    - The most downloaded (close to 3,000 downloads in one year)
    - The most realistic and game-changer (exquisitely balanced)
    - A completely error-free (no annoying error/warning messages)

...ReShade preset to the date for this game? And it's also the first and only one released along with the first pack of custom textures and effects (made from real photos).

Its major flaw is the day/night difference in brightness (mostly due to the lack of HDR in the game for now). Big part of the time was spent on "optimizing" it, from version 1.1, through 1.2, which were similar looking but much worse in performance.

User Reviews

"I stumbled upon this while browsing the forums and decided to give it a try. Given my past experience with "visual upgrades" on games such as GTA 4 and 5, I always found they just added some filters but didn't change much, other than saturation. But this one here! It jumped the barrier and went all out: changed elements such as skid marks (which I find more realistic, even though they are still in development), dust particles, grass, sun light... It's all AMAZING! How could anyone not like this is beyond me. I feel as though they must be doing something wrong, because from what I've seen, this mod has taken BeamNG.drive to a whole new level. It doesn't feel left behind now. It makes me feel as if the graphics had been enhanced to match today's games. So to the author: Thank you. For the work you put in to create this!" -Dr.Balbarian (28/05/2017)

User Testimonials

"Seriously the best thing I've tried in a while" -WalrusVersionofCRAZYRACER

"So realistic my mom thinks it's real!" -BuggattiVitesse1

“Barely any effect on performance” -FastestClassic

“A clear improvement over the default” -CarlosAir

"Best preset ever made!" -SandwichesANDmilk

“Oh my god I'm in love” -CrashTherapy

“I have no words” -Logi_Veloce

“Excellent!” -Android_Fool

Special Thanks

crosire
    ReShade injector.

randomshortguy
    Technical help.​

Mitki4a
    Showcase video.

Dr.Balbarian
    Tutorial video and review.

ignito
    Alternative preset.

Attached Files:

#1 cessni, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 24
  2. NaxNir

NaxNir
    Expand Collapse

It's back!

• Like Like x 3
  3. CaptanW

CaptanW
    Expand Collapse

Im working on the video now.

• Like Like x 2
  4. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

Sun mod is out! Y'all better come back with some good damn feedback!

5. Three O' Clubs

Three O' Clubs
    Expand Collapse

cessni, loving the mod but I am wondering if there's a way to disable the depth of field? It appears in the menus and makes blurs them heavily in the current version.

• Like Like x 1
  6. aceon

aceon
    Expand Collapse

Unless your're shooting a movie, I really don't like these shaders. They look like someone slapped a bad instagram filter on the game. The depth of field applies even in the menus.

#6 aceon, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 8
  7. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

Capture.PNG

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

I don't have that problem but in any case that information is already on the post. Please read it.
    --- Post updated ---
    I am sorry to hear such a picky opinion but anyways, thanks for sharing it.

#8 cessni, Feb 20, 2016
  9. avengedsevenfold

avengedsevenfold
    Expand Collapse

cessni, what graphics settings are you using (including postfx) to produce the image above?

10. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

Hi, as you can read on the post, I'm using the highest settings. All post fx settings enabled but not modified. In-game AA disabled (preset includes excellent SMAA).

11. nobadesuuchan

nobadesuuchan
    Expand Collapse

Makes a big *** difference.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

Thanks a lot! Added to testimonials.

13. nobadesuuchan

nobadesuuchan
    Expand Collapse

AH, thank you! :) but it seriously does, it's like from eh, to amazing, especially the tires. tires so ssssexiiiiii

#13 nobadesuuchan, Feb 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

That's exactly what I think. Try my Sun mod, it's another must have for getting better visuals! Thanks again!

15. nobadesuuchan

nobadesuuchan
    Expand Collapse

could you please tell me how to get it like the picture in the sun mod.

16. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

Just install both mods, there is no magic apart from that! Also check the must have mods on the post. All my images are untouched except for the text. Read my reply to avengedsevenfold above.

17. nobadesuuchan

nobadesuuchan
    Expand Collapse

thanks so much!
    --- Post updated ---
    Comparisons!

screenshot_01106.png on screenshot_01107.png off screenshot_01108.png on screenshot_01109.png off. screenshot_01110.png and an especially sexy tire shot.

• Like Like x 1
  18. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

19. simonfrat123

simonfrat123
    Expand Collapse

I love this mod so much THANK YOU!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

Thank YOU for your feedback!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice