1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

BeamNG on Linux - a dream come true

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vmlinuz, Feb 9, 2021.

1. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Ladies and gentlemen, we did it:

upload_2021-2-8_22-21-55.png

(No, I didn't censor it. What do I care if you know my name is Dave? You could have found that out yourself if you looked hard enough)

What you see here is exactly what it looks like - and more. The latest version of BeamNG running at a perfect 60 FPS on high settings... on Linux! Specifically, this is Fedora 33. Here's how to do it:
    1. Install Fedora 33 and Steam.
    2. In Steam's settings, enable Steam Play for unsupported games using the experimental Proton version.
    3. Download and install BeamNG.
    4. Make sure to set the game's launch options to gamemoderun %command%! Otherwise you may experience framerate stuttering! Fedora's Game Mode temporarily optimizes the system for gaming by, for instance, disabling power-saving measures such as CPU frequency scaling.
    5. Enjoy.
    Let's talk performance: I have a fairly high-spec PC (12-core Ryzen 3900, GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB DDR4) so YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY. For me, BeamNG is completely playable at rock solid 60 FPS even at 1920x1200 and with two cars. (Performance may suffer as more vehicles are spawned.) You may experience some framerate issues as maps load for the first time but these should gradually go away.

Bonus: My G29 steering wheel works perfectly, force feedback and all. Make sure it is in PS3 mode or else it will not be recognized properly by the game. You will need to bind the controls yourself as they are not bound correctly by default - for example, the clutch pedal is set to the accelerator input! If you find that automatic transmissions stop shifting after you press the brakes, you need to apply a small amount of deadzone to the brake input.

I just want to thank the developers for this wonderful game, and for apparently not doing anything too weird that Proton/Wine wouldn't be able to handle it. I will be deleting my Windows installation now as it is no longer required.

#1 vmlinuz, Feb 9, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 15
  2. geobeck

geobeck
    Expand Collapse

Cool! I survived without BeamNG for several years when I switched my aging laptop over to Linux. I couldn't have run the game anyway; that old clunker couldn't even run Windows 10. But it's good to know that if I switch over again, I won't have to leave BeamNG behind again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

Well done Dave!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

woah

5. SuperShep1

SuperShep1
    Expand Collapse

i remember seeing something almost exactly like this posted in the steam community thingy for Brick rigs. He said it would work with other games too. very cool

6. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

M'vmlinuz tips Fedora

As far as I know, playing BeamNG on Linux has been possible for quite a while now, even on the earliest versions of Proton, but I'm glad to see that it runs quite well now. I plan on switching to Linux in the future as well, but I still need to have a few more games run without issues or otherwise I will postpone the switch (BeamNG being one of them) :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SuperShep1

SuperShep1
    Expand Collapse

what is the advantage of linux over windows 10? better for your computer?

8. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

For me, Linux starts and gets to a usable state faster than Windows, mainly because I don't use SSD's and Windows is poorly optimized for anything but an SSD nowadays. It's also better for software development and just as good for common tasks like Web browsing, YouTube and word processing. If you have an SSD and aren't a programmer, Windows should be fine. I just don't like having to switch back and forth between OSes and now I don't have to

9. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

Also Linux has an incredibly powerful command line. Windows has nothing on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Idk, PowerShell is getting there from what I've heard. Could be wrong tho, I haven't used it that much

11. Slugfest

Slugfest
    Expand Collapse

My personal opinion is as follows:
    1. Many Linux distros lack the polish of an OS I would actually want to use for hours per day. (Yes, I did try it.)
    2. Many distros, including Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (the standard for Linux distros) would not work with my Nvidia GT 710, a 6 year old design, no matter what driver I tried. Boot times were comperable to Windows, which I was disappointed in, and I don't exactly have great hardware over here. So it performs worse as well.
    3. Literally everything can be run at some level of Windows, and the Linux style of "let's make you do freaking everything from the freaking command line" really annoys me. It's 2021, not 1991! :D
    4. Windows ideas have stood the test of time waaay longer than anyone ever thought they would - I went from XP to 10 because my XP computer burnt out, but XP could've kept going, and everything in the Windows environment was nearly identical.
    All of these combined lead me to the conclusion that Windows will continue to reign so long as they keep the cost down.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

For a client OS absolutely... but for web servers and the like, Linux has Windows beaten pretty badly. Same for embedded. Try finding a Smart TV that does not run Linux in some form...

13. stale

stale
    Expand Collapse

my only linux experience comes from running ubuntu and debian on a raspberry pi when i decided wanted to pursue a career in computer science, yeah that didnt take long to fall out lol
    for me linux os's only make sense on low powered, open-ended devices like the pi, or things like car multimedia systems, kiosks, etc

14. Slugfest

Slugfest
    Expand Collapse

Embedded, I completely agree (except Ford's infotainment systems). As to web, it's used less, but it's used in the bigger sites. (source: https://w3techs.com/technologies/comparison/os-linux,os-windows)

15. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

Less restrictions, more freedom. Less annoying permission issues.
    It was my daily OS in school, and I really liked it.
    Also, Linux requires much less than Windows and therefor it can make a old Windows PC feel like new again.
    I have a T430s with Linux. It's a nearly 10 year old laptop, but with Linux Mint it feels great.

Then there's the command line of course. Powershell has actually become pretty good though.

I still use Linux, just not as my home OS (other than on a VM). I still prefer Windows 10 due to game and hardware compatibility.

16. SuperShep1

SuperShep1
    Expand Collapse

i use a t450 lol.
    its both my regular use laptop and "gaming machine"

17. DaddelZeit

DaddelZeit
    Expand Collapse

You basically have access to anything, there's less viruses (imo), you can do everything you can do on W10, better customisation, easier installation of programs (it's basically like the Microsoft Store except you have way more programs) and way more choice with literally anything.
    All this is based on my experience with Manjaro (Arch-Linux based easy-install distro)

18. Jonah Parkinson

Jonah Parkinson
    Expand Collapse

I'm currently thinking about whether or not I should install Deepin or a different distro, because I'm starting to get tired of Windows 10.

19. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Yeha, don't do that one. You'd be better off installing an Ubuntu/Debian-based distro & then installing Deepin DE on top of that. One distro I can recommend is Solus, but only if you don't need too specific packages

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jonah Parkinson

Jonah Parkinson
    Expand Collapse

I'll give it a look.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice