Beamng on Linux

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by XAceMillenniumX, Apr 4, 2018.

1. XAceMillenniumX

XAceMillenniumX
    Expand Collapse

Aight, i know this has been discussed before, but i would like to know why the devs are not motivated enough to port this game to Linux. I'm specifically asking because indie developers usually port their content to Linux eventually, because they are not in contract with big corporations like EA who are Micro$oft shills. Why the Beamng team won't do the same? Why not, you know, develop this game in OpenGL, a highly multiplataform, free, and open source API instead of the Windows gaming monopolizing alternative that is DirectX? OpenGL has even better compatibility with Nvidia GPUs so that's a bonus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

3. XAceMillenniumX

XAceMillenniumX
    Expand Collapse

Look, i understand the project is in early stages and not ready as a final product yet, but in a world like Beamng when you have the choice to use the cars, and even the environments you want through mods, i believe the user should be given the freedom to use whichever OS on it, specially if users don't consent Microsoft's intrusive behaviour with their forced updates, limitations and privacy questions. So, i suggest that Beamng should at least think about supporting the Linux world, just like the developers of Rocket League considered doing.

I appreciate the answer.

4. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Hey, thanks for asking! :)

We would love to support linux. In fact we are working on an experimental vulkan backend (see https://www.khronos.org/vulkan/ ). Think of it as the next gen OpenGL. Things are highly complex though and we cannot break the game too much as it would break all existing mods out there.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
  5. XAceMillenniumX

XAceMillenniumX
    Expand Collapse

Hey there, that's definetely good news! I'm looking forward to it. It is already a good start.

Thanks in advance!

6. XAceMillenniumX

XAceMillenniumX
    Expand Collapse

Just a quick update here. If you are thinking of playing Beamng Drive with Wine on Linux, the game won't launch in version 3.0 or superior. I tested the newest version (3.5), and they didn't fix the issue with code 0x00000001. So yeah, Beamng Drive at this point is the only reason i still dual boot/use Windows 10.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Personally, I'd sacrifice any and all mods for Linux/Vulkan support, it really does mean a lot to me. Looking forward to see how this progresses :)
    Update - huh, it looks like T3D already supports Vulkan, I wonder why it's not a simple port then?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Evandman12345

Evandman12345
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Well direct X can be ported to Mac using crossover so I am sure that it can be done because I do it all the time:p

Not to sure about linux but on Mac it is pretty simple just keep creating emails for the free trials:cool:

and on Mac wine can't bind directX and BeamNG.Drive:oops:
    --- Post updated ---

This is being selfish but will in work with Mac

cause I don't have linux only a MAC

9. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

If one makes a Linxu/Whatever game, they are supposed to make it natively, not via emulators..
    (ie. AAA games announces release on Linux. Only change is that they tell you to download crossover/wine. That won't turn out well)

Anyhow, I heard Wine added DirectX11 support somewhat recent (which was missing earlier). That's one of the thing that was needed for the latest versions.

10. Uanpis

Uanpis
    Expand Collapse

I run beamng 0.12 on wine 2.18-staging on Ubuntu 14.04 and it works flawlessly

11. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Because there is no conspiracy of people pushing Windows.

It's just that businesses make products for how customers are going to use them. According to Steam, 95,79% of users have Windows and only .8% have Linux - ca. 119.75:1 ratio.

In fact, it would make more sense to make BeamNG for Mac first, as Macs are 3.31% of Steam-using computers, outnumbering Linux by over 4.1:1.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Staff Pick Staff Pick x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Raft

Raft
    Expand Collapse

beamng only works in wine-staging

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice