1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

BeamNG Pre-Race Update - Reviews Center

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nadeox1, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I felt like we needed a thread to share our opinions on the just release Pre-Race Update.
    To keep it simple, divide your thoughts in PROS and CONS like I do.

PROS
    • Visually appealing.
    • Loving the colour selector and the ability to chose the amount of reflections.
    • The new small island is seriously good.
    • General vehicle and performance improvements.

CONS
    • The camera UP/DOWN controls are inverted now? It feels quite odd since I (and probably others too) was used to having 8 to look up and 2 to look down.
    • Mouse doesn't turn visual unless you right click it. It's ok, but maybe we could have somekind of option to bring it like it was before (being able to turn without having to right click).
    • The new UI is great, but I when doing something where I don't require it, it would be nice to have somekind of button to completely hide it quickly.
    • Loading Screen: Having a webm running in the background is nice, but during loads they tends to stutter and freeze (and the sounds too). I'm half-aware this is not a quick thing, but a way to keep the loading screen running smooth despite the game loading would be a +1.

Possible BUGS
    • Water in Small Island is black. I checked through the settings and I saw that Realtime reflection are on, but here they won't work at all. I should try redownloading the fresh game before confirming this though (I let the updater replace only the changed files while it kept the old ones).
    • The effects menu of the UI has all the tickboxes empty even if you enable the PostFX through the Option menu.

Keep the thread clean, don't start any stupid discussion and use common sense.

#1 Nadeox1, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  2. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

shift + u :)

3. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

pros

- new ui is awesome
    - driving at medium speeds feels a lot more stable and grippy now
    - drifting / sliding feels a lot better, a lot more controlled
    - map changes look beautiful
    - car tires don't screech on dirt anymore - makes it feel way better
    - braking is way better
    - handbrake seems to work well

cons

- FPS seems a bit lower and has more stutters on vegetation heavy maps
    - mouse is always visible, needs to autohide
    - driving at high speeds (70mph+) is still floaty/slidey - only really prevalent on a map like corkscrew mountain that combines high speeds and sweeping turns
    - it's a lot easier to understeer... it used to be too easy to oversteer
    - the menu background looks *really bad* for whatever reason. stutters, low quality, etc
    - same old map select / vehicle select menu?

shift+u turns it off

edit: wow it too me a long time to make that list if tdev beat me to the hotkey by 23 minutes

4. Rage

Rage
    Expand Collapse

PROS

• Custom Vehicle Colours
    • Wireframe and different lighting rendering effects makes the game look like a 3D Simulation Programme
    • Different gravity settings
    • Updated UI
    • Only a small decrease in performance
    • Updated Maps

CONS

• Loss of controller respawn hotkey
    • Difficult to switch between different gravity settings quickly

BUGS
    • Crashes often when loading maps. My installation is clean and I have even tried moving the installation to a different directory. It seems to crash less when I am alt-tabbed during loading. I am using borderless mode.

5. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

So far so good.

PROS:
    -ermahgerd pretty
    -water looks nicer
    -maps are far more detailed
    -collisions seem better?
    -color select!
    -cars are much more grippy
    -"hotwheels track"
    -gravity
    -new GUI is cool

EDIT3: Car colors are more vibrant

CONS
    -pigeon glass/headlights don't break?
    -black water on small island
    -small island is loud
    -crash sounds duplicate a lot during an accident
    -view skeleton doesn't work

EDIT: Can't "tab out" of built-in IRC. I'd like to be able to play and chat at the same time.

EDIT2: Engine sounds "wibbly" in first person

#5 pulley999, Jun 23, 2014
  6. Masterjoc

Masterjoc
    Expand Collapse

Pro: - performance while driving and crashes is really great improved, less laggs now
    - maps & graphic is prettier now
    - lights and indicator added, that's cool
    - new ui
    - all cars drive better now
    - didnt tested all/enough, so will be added later in another post

Neg: - when i select manual transmission i have to select still "D" and cant see my gear in the UI
    - performance overall on maps with much objects and so on is really hungry (on the same settings 20 fps less then before; tested on toshiba notebook)
    - loading screen senseless, because its laggy and in my opinion using too much power for itself (like mentioned already above :D)
    - on xbox gamepad no possibility to respawn car
    - the h series v seems to be too soft, its jumping even on mini elevation changes

bug: - after playing on a map, you cant change settings of the graphic ---> crashing
    - sound usage of open al is bugged, sounds really weird (like mono for a second)

#6 Masterjoc, Jun 23, 2014
  7. mike22

mike22
    Expand Collapse

I guess the OSD ( current vehicle, run time, etc.. ) for that track isn't working correctly ?

8. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

i remember having to replace a lua file to get your timer to work on the old beamng, that file is probably overwritten by the update and i haven't tried to reinstall your version. if you hack it up a bit it might still work, but you should try to write a new version in the new ui system :)

9. msurf15

msurf15
    Expand Collapse

I got better FPS on dry rock island before the update :confused:.....

Very confused :confused:

10. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

A lot of the maps had overhauls giving them more decals and details, so that would explain the worse performance. The physics should still be 25% faster, especially with multiple vehicles. On DRI your FPS is going to be GPU limited unless you spawn like 3 or 4 cars.

11. msurf15

msurf15
    Expand Collapse

ok thanks Gabe :)

12. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Pros:
    • UI
    • FPS boost on a few maps
    • gravity settings
    • break all parts off is so fing funny
    • hand brake
    • can see the mouse all the time so I don't have to hit the escape or windows key. sure it could use hiding after 5-10 seconds of it not moving but I can just stick it on my second screen for now.
    • non flickering head lights
    • Color chooser

Cons:
    • funkiness trying to select manual gears (Edit, Seems to revert to automatic sometimes when resetting the car)
    • random buttons stopped working on my G27. Ran the updater again and was working again. I hope it stays that way. I have made no mods to my custom input map, so not sure if it needs a poke or if its a bug.
    • Small Island has really poor fps.(27-31) If I switch to a different window and back again it goes up (58) but soon drops back down. while Dry rock Island is about 10-15 fps higher than before.
    • some variant of the covet (I forgot what one) has an issue with the in-game steering wheel reaching full lock before my G27 hits the end stop with what should be the correct degree of rotation set.
    • some times random models were completely in shadow (black) until you were right up next to them. opening the editor and closing it again fixes it. (Edit, Seems to be working properly after rerunning the updater)
    • Cant view terrain debug settings without enabling the vehicle debug settings first. (Edit, Seems to be working properly after rerunning the updater)
    • FOV slider does nothing
    • DOF seems broken/funky or just intentionally different. what ever the case I'm not liking it now.
    • Dashboard dials are lit up even when lights are off.

I think there was some other funkiness but I cant remember what they were now. nothing massive though.

Great work none the less, Its epic fun, Thank you ;)

#12 jammin2222, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  13. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

PROS:
    Somewhat better traction code, feels more responsive and realistic in lower speed situations.
    Much better collisions, not getting stuck in things nearly as much, car is stiffer.
    Maps look much nicer, love the extra detail.
    PRND21 automatics with separate manual transmissions.
    Vastly improved brake code.
    New variants of the vehicles.
    The UI is beautiful, great work on that, would change the level selection window to something more integrated with the current UI style,
    maybe a list displayed over the background that you can scroll, sorta fades out the background a bit.

CONS:
    Audio bugs, really really annoying.
    Under steering at low speeds, absolutely horrible, they all just wanna push straight now.
    High speed handling is exactly the same as before, floaty and disconnected. Have to counter steer in a bizarre way to stay on the road.
    Some odd drivetrain shenanigans with a manual transmission when you let off the throttle.
    Bolide 380 GTR's rear wheels vibrate all over the place as if the spindles are attached to the control arms with dried up chewing gum, didnt try the other variants.
    Game freezing when going into slowest slo-mo setting.
    Moonhawk is like a giant rubber band, very bouncy and springy in the chassis and front suspension, the wheels flop around really odd when on the brakes or turning, worse than before.
    Dashboard lights being lit up without headlights being on, very brightly during the day.
    The pigeon looks slightly under detailed in some areas, the interior panels look odd, and the rear bumper and brake lights look too rounded and odd. Otherwise its neat.

Deffinetly feels like it coulda used another month or so in the oven, but I understand the community was putting a buttload of pressure on you guys for a release. If the cons are fixed it would be perfect IMO. Moving in the right direction.

14. CarlosAir

CarlosAir
    Expand Collapse

Make sure to check this "Enabled" checkbox.

At least this was my problem :p

Attached Files:

• Untitled-1.png
  15. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Pros:
    Ibishu Pigeon
    The new tire models
    The various tweaks to everything
    Normal lighting is now playable for me (yay XD)
    SLEDNODS FINALLY YUS YUS YUS YUS YUS YUS YUS

Cons:
    Took too long to download :(

Bug:
    The Pigeon's shock absorbers are missing :confused:

#15 vmlinuz, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  16. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

PROS:
    Much better tire model in general. Better grip, stationary movement fixed and much more realistic grip
    Transmissions much more realistic and improved
    Inter-vehicle collisions are much improved
    New user interface is easy to use, detailed and better than almost all racing/driving games out there. The only thing that comes close to it is Assetto Corsa.
    New graphical improvements are very well carried out and very noticeable.
    Multi-vehicle performance is hugely improved being one of my favourite aspects of this update
    Maps are much more detailed with better vegetation colours.

CONS:
    Pigeon is pretty much un-drivable on keyboard (haven't tried with my wheel yet)
    High speed driving is still quite floaty at times but alot better than previously.
    Keyboard driving is really difficult in all of the cars with controllability being only a small improvement to what it was before hand.
    Not directly game related, however the torrent based updater was extremely slow only peaking out at about 100kb/s for me as well as causing massive slow downs on my network. A direct download link would be a better way to give out update in the future in my opinion.

Performance:
    I put this here as alot of people have mentioned performance drops since the update. I have found that single vehicle performance wise I have not noticed much of a difference before and after updating. When using one vehicle in any of the maps my fps is about the same as it was pre-update or about 10 fps lower at worse on the more detailed maps. The performance using multiple vehicles however is amazing, with some maps still running at over 60fps with two cars.

Great work none the less guys, I honestly got alot more than I expected :D

17. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Thanks for the honest review guys, you can see its still far from being done :)

We will incorporate your "cons" into our TODOs :)

18. Shadowdragon94

Shadowdragon94
    Expand Collapse

pros: i dunno

cons:
    8c51c2c9-6a2e-467f-b4ef-07362789bdd5.png

19. BallisticDK

BallisticDK
    Expand Collapse

Hmm. On DRI im getting between 50-60 fps with the D 15 and i get 70fps with physics off.
    If i understand this right the physics is running on my CPU (3930K at 4,9Ghz), 20fps for simulating a hole car that sounds fair :D
    what i don't get is, how can DRI kill my 780?

Pros:
    I really like the new handling.
    I like the color picker.
    The new presets and parts for the cars.
    Small island looks vibrant.
    The new menu is awesome.
    A lot more i dont remember.

Cons:
    Color picker dosent remember last choice in color.
    Menu looks extremly pixelated.
    I miss the reload button on the controller(i know i can just edit the input map).
    Camera still inverted.

overall
    Badass update. keep up the awesome job devs.

20. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I've only been on for 5 minutes. I'll update this post as I'll go on. Consider it a -reserve- post for now.

Pros:
    Awesome new rims on the Moonhawk. I don't know if I'm just noticing them with my new resolution but they look fantastic!
    Nicely organized new stuff in the maps!
    Cons:
    Water is black on small island
    Loading screens insanely blurry/low res. :\
    What happened to the view controls? :(
    Thoughts:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice