1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

BeamNG's Broken Mod System (Video Included)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1), Jul 26, 2016.

1. Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)

Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG's Broken Mod System

I talk about the broken mod system BeamNG has, and how I'm sick and tired of it.

#1 Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1), Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. rocksim

rocksim
    Expand Collapse

Good video. You the real MVP, to quote one of my favorite memes

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)

Expand Collapse

:)

4. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

FYI, some people don't feel like listening to videos. For best results, type it out.

They do check for issues. They check for game compatibility issues. As for copyright stuff, they take stuff down as they receive notices to do so. They have far too many mods to check through to check for copyright issues. You do realise that there are 2 moderators that work on the repo, right? It's a lot of work. Yes, people stealing content is bad, but the repo moderators don't have time to check through to make sure every mod is credited properly, and doesn't contain copyrighted content. It's not their job. Their job is to make sure every mod that is submitted to the repo is compatible with the current version of the game.

In addition, as for the last 30 seconds of your video, allow me to quote the Rules:
    You agree to follow these rules by using the forum.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)

Expand Collapse

I understand what you are saying. My point is for the copyright is that they let a mod go through with copyrighted sounds, yet my mod is taken down for having copyrighted sounds. This system is pretty broken if that can happen. Like I said if they are very worried about copyright, they need to do better checks in order for issues like this not to happen. I also understand there are 2 moderators when it comes to mods, but they need to increase that number up. Giving 2 moderators this whole page is a stress, and its why issues like this occur.

6. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

The moderators can't go through and check through every game on the planet to see if a mod contains copyrighted content. Period. They go through too many mods to remember the contents of all of them. They can't do what you expect them to do. Not even if the entire team did that, your expectations can not be fulfilled.

7. Quotex

Quotex
    Expand Collapse

I don't think you understood, the staff moderating the mods section of the website DO NOT check the mods themselves, so unless the file has obviously offensive features, they will upload it.
    Mods simply can't check every single mod in their own game for obvious reasons (it would take way too much time, time that could be spent better)

They don't start removing a mod due to copyright issues untill a person/company claims it as violating the protocol. In the case of that 2nd uploader, his file is probably going to get removed as well in time.
    Hiring more people to moderate the section wouldn't help too much, maybe they would be approved faster but that's about it, and if they're no volunteers the company will have to pay them. Again, money that could be spent better.

8. Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)

Expand Collapse

I'm not saying go through every game nor am I saying for them to remember every single mod. I'm saying if a new sound mods comes out, they should check the previous sound mods to make sure the new sound mod doesn't have any copyrighted content.

9. Quotex

Quotex
    Expand Collapse

So let's say they get ~ 20 soundpacks uploaded in one month, they have to check every single one of them, ASIDE from checking the other hundreds files that they receive on those days?

And they have to check EVERY SINGLE sound in each one, and then compare it to sounds from other video games. It's simply not doable.

Unless you're saying that you're willing to sacrifice your free time untill every single sound pack and every single sound in them has been checked properly.

10. Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)

Expand Collapse

Again, I'm not saying to compare every single sound to every game. I'm saying that they should be compare the sounds to the sound packs that were removed due to copy right.

11. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

So, they should do that on just one category? What if someone does the same to a UI App mod? Should the moderators do the same for UI Apps? What about vehicle mods? They are far too busy to look through 671 mods (current number of mods in repo, not including all the updates) to make sure nobody copied anything. Your expectations are insane. How about I send you a vehicle and ask you to check through, say, 100 mods to make sure I didn't steal someone else's model, or jbeam, or custom engine sounds? How long do you think that'd take you? You expect far too much of the staff.

12. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

To clarify this a bit. We check every mod if it's working with the latest version of the game. Furthermore we check if it contains obvious copyrighted stuff. It would be a lot of additional work to check every little single file plus it would be a mess to compare the files with every single file of another mod to check if they're identical.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

IMO, stuff happens. I'm not happy to see all my mods reuploaded places, sometimes without credit, but it's inevitable that people will do this. We're lucky we have such a moderation team behind BeamNG, who cares about this kind of stuff and will remove it when spotted :)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)

Expand Collapse

No, no, no. I never said they should check through every single mod on this page. What I'm trying to say is that they had removed 3 sounds packs due to copy right. When a new soundpack gets put on, a check needs to be done to see if the sound pack includes sounds for the sound packs that were removed due to copy right. This would make sure A. No sounds in that sound pack are sounds from other removed packs & B. Not have a copy right issue IF its approved.

15. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

But that means that they'd have to do it for every type of mod, otherwise other people (like you) will complain like this, except with this argument to back them up. The system that they currently have in place works; it is very similar to how YouTube does it. Someone can make a copyright complaint about something, the something gets reviewed, and will get taken down if it is determined that it infringes any copyrights.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Quotex

Quotex
    Expand Collapse

You keep contradicting yourself

table flip.png That's it, i give up.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)

Expand Collapse

The system isn't foolproof either, and this is why I'm bring it up. I did make a copy right complaint, and it was resolved, but my point is this shouldn't have happened in the first place due to the fact that his sounds where from my pack that was removed due to copyright.

18. StinchinStein

StinchinStein
    Expand Collapse

But if they were going to check sound mods, why not check all the others? Why favor only sound mods? Other mods could have the same exact issues. That is the flaw with your argument right now.

19. Aleferna_dls

Aleferna_dls
    Expand Collapse

Emmmm... When you say copyright... Do you refer to copy other people content or just some bussines images? Because I use some real inspired content such as Correos, Telepizza, Europcar... companies. Also official organs like the govern, police, Guardia Civil...
    If that's ilegal, notify me it pleasr
    Cheers :)

20. Gamer Alex (AlexKVideos1)

Expand Collapse

Why? Because of copyright. They are very concerned with copy right so much they took mine, and Telemax's sound pack down, yet a guy comes in with a mod that is pretty much my sound mod, and gets through. It shouldn't have happened because of the copy right issue sound mods face.

21. Quotex

Quotex
    Expand Collapse

How could they tell? If it was uploaded under a different name, there's no way of knowing if the sounds are the same unless they check it manually, and then they have to do this with every type of file. And then you basically end up with them having to check every single file.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice