Best car for a first time driver?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by xingbreakin, Sep 1, 2014.

1. xingbreakin

xingbreakin
    Expand Collapse

Currently learning to drive (In Britain), I wanted to know some of your opinions on the best make and model for a first car.. ;)

My budget is anything under £2000 but I'm really just talking about best cars for someone who has just passed their test in general. Would love to see peoples opinions!

-XB

2. DevKryton

DevKryton
    Expand Collapse

BMW 320,316,318.

3. TestedMATTIA

TestedMATTIA
    Expand Collapse

Volkswagen Lupo

4. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I am still learning but I am fully licensed on my mums 2009 Jaguar X-Type Diesel and I expect to be on my dads Jaguar XF within a few months of passing my test :)

5. vladmir poopin

vladmir poopin
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

a old volvo eg 240 estate

6. xingbreakin

xingbreakin
    Expand Collapse

Awesome! I'm currently learning and insured for my mums Peugeot 2008 crossover although my dad is teaching me how to drive, my mum doesn't trust me xD

- - - Updated - - -

Apart from the fact that it would look like a funeral car in black, this would be amazing for my bikes :D

7. vladmir poopin

vladmir poopin
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

just out of intrest do you like the pegeott 205 t16?
    its basicly a 4wd mid-engine 205

- - - Updated - - -

ooh how about a caddalac herse

8. xingbreakin

xingbreakin
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I love old rally cars! :D Would be awesome if I could find someone willing to sell one around here xD

Hmm, I'm not sure driving your friends around in a hearse is socially acceptable? xD So much empty space in the back though :D xD

9. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

haha yeah well I am 23 going to be 24 in March and I have left all my boy racer stuff at home on the computer...I drive like an old man sometimes...

10. xingbreakin

xingbreakin
    Expand Collapse

Hey well I drive the same right now, not until I pass my test am I going to put the foot down a bit more xD I like the freedom of driving more than the speed the more I think of it, just the fact that you can go anywhere is great! I leave the speed for BeamNG ;)

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Does this £2000 include insurance or not?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, yes, £2000....

12. xingbreakin

xingbreakin
    Expand Collapse

Without insurance :)

13. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

A trabant like this. Trabant_unrestauriert_01.jpg What a car.

14. Sir Weenie

Sir Weenie
    Expand Collapse

gif-9.gi.gif

This is the 3rd time I've died on this forum.

No, you want this.

1977_Ford_Pinto_Cruising_Wagon.jpg

Much reliability and very steering
    1399530220388.gif

15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Well that makes things easy then as otherwise I would be drawing up a list of stuff you acn get for £500-750, else you wont be able to insure it within £2000 :p

You can easily get a variety of VW Polos (even Golfs actually although usually in rattier condition than the polos, there are some fine examples for under £2000 though if you can afford the higher insurance), Vauxhall Corsas (highly unadvisable, mine never ceases to present me with ways to hate it even more), Skoda Fabias or Ford Focus or Fiesta. They are somewhat boring and uninteresting vehicles. But its a first car, it isn't going to be some fancy car its going to be your first taste of freedom and you will likely beat it up, any old front drive hatch with some degree of reliability (and honestly I'd rather push a ford than drive a corsa).
    Do not look at Renault or Peugeot. Both are actually pretty solid build wise and at a glance appear to be good choices (although I find a certain feminism to them personally) but both have parts chains tied directly to them, you want a replacement part you are almost entirely forced to go via them and they aren't cheap compared to other manufacturers. They don't go wrong often, but when they do go wrong it will cost an arm and a leg. To add to that, I've driven a few Peugeots and frankly the clutches suck, the gearboxes suck and the steering sucks, end result: unpleasant. Your first car isn't going to be fancy no, but you want something thats nice to drive and honestly - having driven one - a girly little nissan micra drives better.

16. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I wouldnt risk Speeding IRL...big fines and BIG points come if you do that...but sure speed all you like in BeamNG Drive

17. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

1126.gif ........

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Correction, if you get caught, and so far I haven't :p

Actually to add to that, DO NOT get insurance with anyone that wants to put a tracker in your car, they will charge you if you speed (they monitor it)

19. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

Only like one insurance company in the UK put's a tracker in your car.

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I got more than 10 results when renewing my insurance for this year that included a device being installed to my car. Got quite a few mates using them too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice