Best laptop for BEAM NG under £400 - any advice please?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Zylidan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Zylidan

Zylidan
    Expand Collapse

Hi, my son really would like Beam NG Drive for Christmas on a laptop. I am a gamer, predominantly Playstation - but have no experience of PC gaming etc (game looks ace so excited to play it myself!)

We live in the UK and I have seen a laptop we can afford at Currys:

LENOVO IdeaPad 330-15ARR Ryzen 3 Laptop - 2 TB HDD, Black

Would really appreciate some advice from anyone whether this would do the job - again its for a 8 year so high graphics etc not a huge priority!

Many thanks for any help!

2. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

Or not. The laptop is underpowered, it has a slow HDD, and also, Ryzen mobile laptops are known to have some problems (and AMD haven't gave an driver update for like, a year).
    Also, can you give me a link to the laptop? I can't help you without more details such as RAM and OS.

3. Jetpackturtle

Jetpackturtle
    Expand Collapse

400 that's a small budget.
    Fast or cheap, pick one :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

For that budget, I would think of used desktop, that might be only way to run BeamNG somewhat decently.

With new laptops, 1000 is not excessive budget.

BeamNG.Drive is one of the heaviest games to run on high graphics, which means that hardware has to be really beefy.

Good part is that it is possible to make BeamNG.Drive run on midrange or even lower midrange gaming PC, by lowering graphical quality.

Trying to find something like K variant of i5 used desktop, gtx 750 or faster GPU, at minimum 8GB of ram.

With HDD there will be hiccups, slow pauses all the time, so SSD is really good to have.

This might change with next big update, (could be as early as December according to what devs posted on forums) so you are bit it tight spot timing wise, it is possible that in near future not so beefy computer is required, but that probably can't be known before the Christmas.

Generally PC gaming with latest hardware is very expensive hobby, my desktop pc is something that you would have to pay around 2000 to get new one with same performance, yet still I wish it would be little bit faster in BeamNG.

PS4 gamepad might work in PC too, so there you can save a little, then comes need for a steering wheel, same thing happens with every hobby :D

5. Zylidan

Zylidan
    Expand Collapse

Hi all - thanks so much for the comment/advice. Understand all your feedback.

The F12 - I can't copy the link from Safari as it just shows 'Currys' in the address bar - but I just copied and pasted this below into google and it brought up the page on Currys website for it (Currys UK that is)

LENOVO IdeaPad 330-15ARR 15.6" Ryzen 3 Laptop - 2 TB HDD, Black
    Its got 8Gb ram and the Risen processor and runs windows 10.

Jetpackturtle - I know - all we can afford at mo, but It's an investment also for him also in terms of the digital revolution he has been born in too lol!

fufsgfen - Get what you mean also re the pace at which the games evolve also - this one we are looking at might fall out of spec very quick. I did contact Beam NG and they suggested posting n the forum the query. Is there anything else a little higher in price that would give bit more longevity?

For my little boy - I think playing the game would give him his happiest christmas ever - he wouldn't notice too much if the graphics were not 100%

Again, really really, appreciate your feedback and advice here - cheers all

Z

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Ryzen 3 2200U is whole different from Ryzen 3 2200G for example.

After reading this I would stay even further away, even alone the fact it is Lenovo makes my hair stand up as Lenovo of today is a Chinese brand, kinda like bootleg, but legit bootleg, if that makes any sense.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...en-3-2200U-Vega-3-Laptop-Review.333204.0.html

So graphics performance is bit less than what Skylake iGPU has and with Skylake iGPU best you can get in this game is 40-60fps @720p absolutely lowest graphics quality on few simplest maps, no hope to run all maps and especially no hope running several more complex vehicles, limited to one only.

That is also well below minimum required GPU which is about 7-8 times more powerful.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...-Intel-HD-530-Desktop-Skylake/m511366vsm33102

Then comes question of cooling and longevity, that thing is not designed for such workloads.

About CPU side of things, Ryzen 3 2200U has single core computing power about 30% less than i3-6100 and that is really taking a hit in this game, while multicore speed is higher, it is impossible to use that multicore performance because of low single core performance and low GPU performance.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-6100-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-2200U/3511vsm480281

With that kind of hardware there is no hope.

Even used desktop i7-2500k or i5 of that era with gtx 750 would be better option, or used laptop if that is required, but with used laptops you can be screwed really quickly as part swapping is not so simple.

I'm not sure of used computer prices there, but I think 400 might buy i3 with 1050Ti tower here, not sure about laptops, gaming capable laptops tend to be really expensive and not the longest of life.

Some used laptop with i5-7300HQ and 1050Ti for example would be better, not the best, but might be within your budget. That still has kinda weak single core, but it would be running the game with lowering graphics.
    There might be even better options, I'm not so aware of what all laptop possibilities there are, some older gaming laptops were much better than new ones, but can't remember exact model numbers.

7. Jetpackturtle

Jetpackturtle
    Expand Collapse

Just had a great idea actually, have you heard of the used Thinkpads on Amazon? Great prices for quite powerful laptops, only downside it that they're a bit bulky. Companies sell them off for ridiculously cheap when they get new tech.
    https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...1891490925&addisttype=gpla&prodsku=20KSS0PA00

8. Zylidan

Zylidan
    Expand Collapse

Jetpackturtle / fufsgfen - thanks loads guys for the detail and solid advice. Think best way forward will be to check out desktop options and the thinkpad laptops also. Might see what I can get on a monthly payment too...
    Thanks loads and enjoy your christmas's
    Z

9. Jetpackturtle

Jetpackturtle
    Expand Collapse

No problem, enjoy yours as well :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice