Best way to change texture format on a map

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by jammin2222, May 26, 2020.

1. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

So I decided to dig into Generic City to see if I could get the file size down. When I made the meshes I used any old texture format that I found with no thought or care (.jpg .tga .png). That was a big mistake I know.
    So I spent 2 days opening every texture in Paint.net and converted each one to the .dds format, observing the compression type in the wiki https://wiki.beamng.com/Exporting_Textures_-_DDS_Files

The good news is the file size of the map has shrunk a lot!

Now for the problem.
    I thought I would just have to change the file extension in the materials.cs from .jpg .png or .tga to .dds and job would be done.

Sadly this resulted in a bunch of broken materials with the dreaded orange NO MATERIAL texture scattered everywhere.
    Some of the materials worked but a large majority got broken for some reason.

I'm not sure of the best way to sort this out.

If I open a model in the shape editor and pick a broken material and edit it to point at the correct file it remains just a blank white preview icon and wont show the texture.

Any clues on the easiest way to swap the materials to a new format?

2. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Never mind, I figured out the problem, thanks for the help everyone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice