Better handling/traction

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by AstonishingA, Aug 4, 2013.

1. AstonishingA

AstonishingA
    Expand Collapse

I can't exactly put my finger on it but the handling feels too sloppy, driving down a concrete road and the wheels are sliding around as if on gravel.

By far not the best description but I'm sure that others can relate to what I am meaning and hope they can put it into better of what they are experiencing.

This is in no way me trying to be picky and negative about the game as it is only an Alpha and I love what they have so far, Just trying to help improve things :)

2. GeoTelnet111

GeoTelnet111
    Expand Collapse

One word.

Alpha.

x)

3. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

We are very aware of this problem and we're not really sure what we can do about it, but we are working on it.

4. Shadylurker

Shadylurker
    Expand Collapse

It seems to not transfer weight fast enough. A jab on the brakes and some hard wheel inputs should be enough to get the back end out, it acts like it just immediately brakes traction when the brakes are applied.

Awesome game! loving it, mostly ripping around, would love to have a miata like car to terrorize the roads in. some tall pine tree mountain climb stuff would be sweet as well.
    Keep up the awesome work.

5. Tha Smit

Tha Smit
    Expand Collapse

That's good to hear! :D

Maybe smoother countersteering transitions along with more traction on the back wheels.

But I trust you to get the problem fixed :)

6. moussa247

moussa247
    Expand Collapse

I feel like the FWD drive cars (Ibishu Covet) and the 4WD cars (Gavril D-series) handle quite nicely. A system like traction control needs to be implemented to keep those rear wheels under control when power is applied, especially for the Civetta Bolide.

7. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

The main problem with our tires seems to be that they are losing grip too easily, and regaining it in a strange way. So for example, in a quick slaloming maneuver, the car takes too long to respond to the direction change, and when it does, it responds quite violently. It makes the car feel slidey and twitchy at the same time. We will continue to investigate and work on this problem. The cars are making the correct amount of static grip compared to real-world vehicle measurements, so the issue is not the amount of grip, but how it is lost and regained.

8. CBeTHaX

CBeTHaX
    Expand Collapse

Correct me if I'm horribly wrong, but the tires in the game do not deform like rubber would deform when it's pressed hard. It's just a polygonal rotating surface with a X amount of friction, that destroys itself when given enough force.
    There are 4 'properties' that the game engine does not simulate, which are crucial for tire realism.
    - inflation
    - twisting
    - heat
    - wear

P.S. Again, correct me if I'm horribly wrong. Tires are an interesting topic to cover when we are talking about simulations, because they are round objects with a lot of properties and they are the only part of the car that touches the surface it's moving on.
    It's the main reason most games don't use the tires as independent objects for calculating traction and most of the time they are just animated meshes.

#8 CBeTHaX, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  9. Shadylurker

Shadylurker
    Expand Collapse

That is exactly what feels wrong about it.

If it has the correct static grip, is it coded to just respond with the static grip at all speeds and weight transfers? Does it model tire contact patch increase and decrease with weight transfer and speed? That's all it seems it really needs, but I am completely oblivious to the math behind that.

The slow response to direction change in a real car (from a tire standpoint) would be due to a craptastic sidewall (assuming psi is standardized). No idea how the tires are simulated but maybe they need to be broken down into more parts, sidewall and tread. The more weight transferred to the tire, the more the sidewall deforms increasing tread contact patch until sidewall cannot deform anymore causing tread to reach it's limit ect. Once that is established you could add in the heat and psi variables.

#9 Shadylurker, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  10. Stormdrain

Stormdrain
    Expand Collapse

False, These are currently implemented, aside from heat and wear, both of witch would only marginally improve realism, and have a fairly large impact on playability.

11. skymiracle

skymiracle
    Expand Collapse

I've said this in another thread.
    When you drive in a video game (especially in 3rd person), you are going faster than you are in real life. You can feel the road or any of the car in a game so you dont drive as slow.

12. kruleworld

kruleworld
    Expand Collapse

what i've noticed in the handling is unlike every other video game i've driven (ie most), is the cars do not turn-in while under deceleration or braking (you have to hit the throttle to get turn-in). curves normally force you to slow down and put load on the front tires. not the case with BeamNG.

13. wilder

wilder
    Expand Collapse

The suspensions on the vehicles are not working to properly "they are but they aren't" they just need fine tuning being as the stiffness on some would increase handling but on others I feel they could use some more custom sway bars to increase steering and handling. it could be that the shocks are not tuned properly, being they are suppose to suppress hop of the vehicle to keep traction on the ground. Its not easy at all to tune something especially when you got other things to worry about.

14. WhiteFusion

WhiteFusion
    Expand Collapse

Would be interesting having heat as something to affect the tire. I can imagine this working side-by-side with the current friction system we have to have heat go on a tire beam and transfer to other beams, including the rim itself. Wear could also be done in the same way, except for the whole transferring to beams.

15. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Heat and wear are planned, but they are really minute adjustments to the existing parameters and would not fix any of the perceived issues with the handling.

16. Miki88

Miki88
    Expand Collapse

17. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

i've noticed that vehicle weight is thrown about in a strange way... perhaps a debug mode that shows the direction and force of the vehicles weight in 3d would reveal something interesting?

18. eletricmano

eletricmano
    Expand Collapse

Press "L" for different debug screens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice