Bring back the old "themes" of Small Island and Derby Arenas

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by EruptionTyphlosion, Aug 18, 2018.

?

Should Small Island and Derby Arenas return to their original themes?

1. Small Island should return to it's fall theme.

2. Small Island should remain as it is.

3. Derby Arenas should return to it's winter theme.

4. Derby Arenas should remain as it is.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Enough said. Back in the day Small Island, USA and Derby Arenas were set in unique themes. Small island had an Autumn theme while Derby Arenas had a Winter/Storm theme. Oddly enough, in later updates, they were reworked to look similar to Dry Rock Island, Port, and Industrial Site, which makes them feel far more "generic".

The original look of Small Island:

The original look of Derby Arenas:

I am aware that there is a mod to bring back the old small island, however I am more interested in changes to the official content to increase the diversity of the in-game content. When discussing the revert, I am talking about textures and skyboxes only. This does not include removing the various improvements made to said maps by the developers over the years.

Voting in the poll is highly appreciated!
    If you have any feedback, please let me know! :)
    --- Post updated ---
    To be honest, I didn't expect a vote this contested. Interesting. Please share your thoughts in this thread aswell. :)

To those of you who voted against this, why did you do so?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

If resourced would allow, then I would not be against having these map variants in selector. Not sure if it would be possible to do without a lot of work, but if it would be possible for example replacing textures with notepad++ to create new (old) variant, it would be quite nice addition.

If it would be manually place and paint everything over, then obviously it would be too much of task.

So kinda depends, also no fitting poll option was found, which probably is my fault as I refused to have anything other than my opinion :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

I think that there should be 2 versions for small island, therefore the diversity is improved while keeping themes of the game.

A season slider would be dead good, but it would be rediculously hard to implement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

As said earlier, just replacing the textures, and the skybox/trees on the Derby Arenas map.
    --- Post updated ---
    If the devs were ever able to pull that off, it would add a whole new level of immersion to the game. However it would likely require a decent weather system to be built first.

5. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

There could be two versions of both maps. Or they would be seasonal themes available only in autumn (Small Island theme) and winter (Derby Arenas theme).

#5 Ytrewq, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  6. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

On that note, then why not have official seasonal versions of every map?

Gridmap/Grid, Small, Pure (Same in all seasons)
    Utah: (Same in all seasons)
    WCA: (Winter (Dead deciduous trees without snow), Spring/Summer (Current), Fall (Colorful trees and leaves on the ground)
    All other maps: (Winter (Snowy, with icy roads and dead deciduous trees), Spring/Summer (Current Version), Fall (Colorful trees and leaves on the ground)
    --- Post updated ---
    But that's off topic though...

The vote is nearing 50-50... o_O

Some discussion as to why you want/don't want the changes would be nice! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

That would be great, especially if there was a way to toggle the seasoning off and use a default version.
    On weather changes:
    Utah should feature some snow in winter

Port and Industrial Site should have leafless decidous trees, but no snow since they are located in Texas near the coast
    Jungle Rock Island should stay the same all year long
    Oh, and air temperature should change as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

If there were random weather effects, all maps should receive more rain/snow in winter, and thunderstorms would be far more common in the summer.

9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Would this so called snow be 2D texture or actual simulation of 3D snow?

I really would like someone to try making 3D snow that you actually would get stuck into. 2D snow is just nothing like a real thing, sure it is easy to make, but it should be possible to make better.

If we are discussing only about textures, then I should vote against snow, because if you paint dirt white, it is not snow, it is dirt painted white. Mud is something closer to snow.

10. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

I fully support this. It would be nice if we can atleast have an option to enable/disable the old version of the maps in settings. Just my 2€

11. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Well, how about mud but textured to look like snow? Think some valley map had done that... or something similiar

12. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry I dragged this thread off topic. Back to the original topic. I personally believe that both maps should return to their old themes because that's what made them "Unique". Now they look like many other maps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, that works better and it is possible to even further, but then again it would be quite bit more work to make such season I guess?

Anyway, for original topic, I really would like this unique aspect that Fera mentions.

14. Mr.Blueboy

Mr.Blueboy
    Expand Collapse

IMO, Small Island looks rather pretty with that fall theme. Persoanlly, I don't like the stormy theme of Derby Arenas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Even though I like how Small Island looks like, it really needs the fall theme. It looks "bland" right now

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Any proponents for keeping the maps the way they are? If so, give your reasoning. :)

17. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

It fits more with the kind of area these maps are based off (or are inspired by). I also thought the Autumn look for Small Island was a bit too colorful and yellow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice