Bruckell Moonhawk

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Twin_Screwed, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Twin_Screwed

Twin_Screwed
    Expand Collapse

First off this car looks great, and I REALLY like the handling. It gets a little sideways sometimes when slammed into second but it doesn't take jedi skills to get it back in line. The only thing about this setup that irks me is that the power isn't really all there. The supercharged 378 cube motor does 0-100 in about 15+ seconds. It's weak sauce really and on the drag radials they don't hook... at all, heated or unheated (idk if it makes a difference in the game). Just my .02 take it for what it's worth, it's still a nice addition to the game. :)

2. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

Everything about the vehicle is user-changeable via the various vehicle files, if you so wish.

You can increase the grip for the drag radials, and bump up the engine power output a tiny bit, or alot-a-bit.

3. Twin_Screwed

Twin_Screwed
    Expand Collapse

It's a pain. It would be nice if the vehicle came with realistic settings. That's all I'm saying. The vehicle editor isn't exactly what I would call user friendly...:(

4. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Realistic settings? You realize it's a late 70s car. Find me a naturally aspirated factory V8 from 1977 with more than 200 horsepower and I'll mail you a cookie.

Also, if you want more power, open the engine file in a text editor and give it more torque. It's as user friendly as notepad is user friendly.

5. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

L82 350 motor 1973-1980

"The 1973–1974 L82 was a "performance" version of the 350 that still used the casting number 624 76cc chamber "2.02" heads but with a Rochester Quadra-jet 4bbl carburetor and dual-plane aluminum intake manifold, the earlier L46 350 hp 350 hydraulic-lifter cam, and 9:1 compression forged-aluminum pistons producing 250 bhp (`71 was the first year for SAE net hp rating, as installed in the vehicle with accessories and mufflers) and 285 lb-ft of torque. Its cast-aluminum LT-1 valvecovers were painted crinkle-black contrasting with the aluminum manifold and distributor housing. It was down to 205 bhp and 255 lb-ft of torque for 1975. It produced 210 bhp in the Corvette for 1976-1977. The 1978 L82 recovered somewhat, producing 220 bhp and 260 lb-ft in the Corvette and in 1979 it produced 225 bhp in the Corvette. In 1980, its final year, it produced a peak of 230 bhp.[6] This engine was also available on the Chevrolet Camaro."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_small-block_engine

You owe me one cookie

6. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

You got me by 10 horsepower. Well, so does the Moonhawk (its big V8 makes about 210)

EDIT: By the way, if you're talking about 0-100 kmh (in my language ;) 0-60 mph)... The standard V8 automatic Moonhawk takes 10.6 seconds, while the "Special" with removed bumpers, 4 speed manual, and supercharged V8 takes 7.4. Not at all slow by 1977 standards. I guarantee you there were no intermediates (like a Chevelle) coming out of the factory getting to 60 mph any faster than 8 seconds in 1977.

#6 gabester, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  7. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I haven't updated yet (as I saw it's only some steering beam made stronger, so it shouldn't change the whole car but, is it mean to be that durable?
    I made 6 Laps on the Parking lot track, so about 4 Jumps of 2-3 Meters each for 6 times and the Hubcaps didn't fall, the mirrors are still here.
    I don't know, but I like :)

BeamNG.drive.x86_2013_09_12_09_34_25_054.jpg
    BeamNG.drive.x86_2013_09_12_09_34_31_234.jpg

So far is the easiest drivable vehicle for me after the Covet.

#7 Nadeox1, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  8. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I did a lot of testing on your parking lot track, actually. Maybe it's realistically durable, I don't know. Someone would have to take the real equivalent ('77 Chevelle) and put it through the same punishment to find out...

The thing about these old cars is that they tend to bend, rather than break. The whole car will be banana shaped after so many jumps but all the parts will still work. Though I imagine when we add radiator and other engine damage it'll be less durable.

9. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

One more thing.

are spotlights misaligned, or it's just me?
    Cattura.PNG

10. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

The low beams are meant to be angled away from oncoming traffic to avoid blinding. Most real cars in North America are set up like this.

11. Twin_Screwed

Twin_Screwed
    Expand Collapse

Moosedicks beat me to it but I would like mine to be oatmeal raisin. I was talking about 0-100. I wasn't going to complain much about the 0-60 as it didn't seem to be more accurate. Still, a 3500 lbs. car making 210 paired to an auto with a 10+ second 0-60 is slow. Again I'm not harping, the car is a nice addition. ;)

12. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Faster than the "real thing" ;) A 1977 Chevelle takes over 11 seconds (presumably with a V8). Also, it's over 3600 lbs, not 3500.

13. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

I have to be honest... I think it's a little stiffer then I would expect from a muscle car... But I am rather excited to see what the old 60's boats and 70's full size cars are like... My god. I'll be in derby heaven if those things last like they should compared to this car.

14. A12_Roadrunner

A12_Roadrunner
    Expand Collapse

I agree with Gab that the car isn't meant to be fast when compared to car 10 years earlier. But I do think that it makes its max torque of 270 lb*ft (365 Newton*meters) at a very high speed. Most engines of the era made max torque at about 2500 rpm and made about 400 Newton*meters.

Here's an example of a '77 400 ci Trans Am engine:
    77ta66a.gif

And the body roll does seem like it's lacking for a body-on-frame car with no rear sway bar.

15. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

The spring rates, construction, weight distribution, and proportions all match that of a real '77 Chevelle (within reasonable expectations). It doesn't have all that much grip. I think the body roll is accurate.

It may be lacking in low end torque, I dunno. I might tweak the torque curves a bit.

EDIT: Tweaked the torque curves to have peak torque around 2500 rpm (it was peaking much higher before). Will be in the next patch.

#15 gabester, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  16. A12_Roadrunner

A12_Roadrunner
    Expand Collapse

I guess, I wouldn't really know seeing as I've never really raced an A-Body. I retuned mine to have 190 hp and 300 lb*ft and it barely does 110 mph now.

Where did you find spring rates for the Chevelle by the way? Is it just the K factor or something more complicated?

17. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

I was surprised as well at how 'ok' it seemed to handle. (for 70's 'merica mobile)

I admit I don't know anything about early american car suspension, so when I didn't see rear leaf springs and instead saw what seems to be a 4 link design, I was very surprised.

Attached Files:

• BeamNG 2013-09-12 21-13-02-16.jpg
  18. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Real 73-77 GM Colonnade cars had coil springs and 4-link live axles in the rear. I know, I was a little surprised too.

19. Khristopher

Khristopher
    Expand Collapse

A bit off of the current topic, but it'd be nice to see a Ute version of the Moonhawk. I'm a major fan of the El Camino, and I have one of my own. It'd be great to see something similar in BeamNG.

20. Twin_Screwed

Twin_Screwed
    Expand Collapse

Can't wait to see the tweaked curves, I think it'll give it a lot more gitty up at higher speeds, especially when first going into third gear.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice