Buying/Building Gaming PC!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by JoJodude, May 16, 2015.

1. JoJodude

JoJodude
    Expand Collapse

#1 JoJodude, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  2. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Re: Buying Gaming PC!

Should do 5 cars fine, not sure if 60 fps, but a very playable framerate for sure.

However, I VERY strongly advise against buying that. It is horribly overpriced, and you could build a PC of similar specs for $700-1K LESS than that.
    Just build your own PC. It will be much cheaper.

3. JoJodude

JoJodude
    Expand Collapse

Okay thanks so much! Please check your VM. The most I can pay for a build/buy is 2,500 USD

- - - Updated - - -

Could anyone help me? Tell me if my "Future build is any good" http://pcpartpicker.com/user/JoJodude/saved/Njc7YJ

4. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Why are you buying a tray processor? Just get the boxed CPU. Get a Z97 motherboard, not Z87.

Also, 32GB of RAM is WAY overkill. Go for 16.

And finally, unless you do audio work you most certainly do not need a $200 sound card.

You should also get a mechanical keyboard. The Corsair K70 is great. Just don't get razer, they suck.

5. DWPro

DWPro
    Expand Collapse

Also the Siberia v2 is way better headphones than those Razer ones, the v2 are $10 cheaper but they have top notch sound and you can get them in puke green.
    You also don't need a $100 WiFi card. I think that the MB has one built in itself or you can buy a 30$ TP-Link card and have nearly the same perfomance or better in some cases.

6. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I made some changes to your build. No sound card, better peripherals, a better motherboard, and a boxed CPU. Also 16GB of RAM since 32 is way overkill for a gaming build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qCHMxr

7. DWPro

DWPro
    Expand Collapse

8. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

This. I didn't bother changing it since I don't know much about wireless cards, but the one in the build is pointlessly expensive.

9. JoJodude

JoJodude
    Expand Collapse

Thanks :) Could you also make one that I can/should look at? I think I will need 32GB of RAM because I need about 30 CHROME tabs open :p

Thanks!

Edit: If anyone can make me a build list please do but I need the BEST I7 Processor.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit#2: Would this work for gaming? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8324286&csid=_61

10. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I've had 40+ tabs open, while running several other applications, and have never exceeded 8GB. You really DO NOT need 32 GB unless you're running a large dedicated server.

You do not. X99 is mostly pointless unless you do video editing. For about $20-50 more, however, you could get an i7 5820K. It has two more cores and four more threads than the 4790K, but worse single threaded performance.

No. Nonononononononononononono. The FX-9590 is a joke of a processor. Let me explain why:

Even at a discount price of $230, it is the same you would pay for an i5-4690K. Even at 5 GHz, it can't match the single threaded performance of a 4690K at its boost clock of 3.9 GHz. Not to mention the TDP is more than twice that of the i5.

Yes, it does have twice as many cores, but it also has AMD's crippled 'siamese' module architecture, so it only has 4 FPUs and floating point performance is halved when using two cores or more.

I can strongly recommend AMD for cheaper builds, but at that price point, it just doesn't make any sense. Go Intel.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the previous build, edited with an i7-5820K, X99 motherboard and DDR4 RAM.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jwMhrH

Here's the other option, with a 4790K, Z97 board and DDR3 RAM.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qCHMxr

The X99 build is $100 more expensive, but still within the $2500 budget. I would go for the Z97 build myself if it's just for gaming, but your build, your choice.

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

30 chrome tabs firstly is too many, you dont need that many and secondly, dont need 32gb of ram. I just opened more than 50 copies of the dev blog. 7gb RAM used. Not 32.

Modern games do not really exceed 8gb. I keep being told GTA5 does, however the 6.5gb total RAM usage I experience while playing GTA5 proves otherwise (and that includes the RAM windows etc is using). 16gb I can understand with the idea of futureproofing, stuff will be coming out using more than 8. 32 is 100% totally unnecessary.

For gaming. i7's are full stop unnecessary. Software has to be specifically programmed to take advantage of multiple cores. Most games out there are programmed to use at most 3, maybe 4 cores. They do not exceed the capabilities of an i5. BeamNG is one of the few that does benefit from huge core counts, except on AMD chips where AMD's dumb ass design doesnt play nicely, and even then thats only when playing with multiple vehicles. You do not need the best i7 on a gaming rig.

On a professional server or semi pro video editing rig, then you need the best i7 available and 32gb of ram. In a gaming rig, you do not.

12. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Even on an editing rig you'll be fine with 16 for a long time. Only a large-ish or non-dedicated server would need 32GB.

I stuck with the 4790K because I honestly didn't want to bring up the whole i5 vs i7 thing. Yes, an i7 is pointless for gaming and so is X99. If you care about your wallet, go i5.

13. JoJodude

JoJodude
    Expand Collapse

Okay thanks! So is the http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jwMhrH better? Or the second link?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay I'll stick with 16GB of RAM. I'm getting a I7 no mater what.

- - - Updated - - -

I am going I7. This PC will be used for GAMING and EVERYDAY USE.

Thanks,
    JoJo

14. Dennis-W

Dennis-W
    Expand Collapse

Can your i5 do this?

(imported from here)

15. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

Attached Files:

• Untitled.jpg
  16. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG makes up less than 2% of my Steam in game time, and even less of my total gaming time.
    I'm not going to spend an extra £200 for a fancy CPU that performs better 1% of the time I am playing.

17. Dennis-W

Dennis-W
    Expand Collapse

I would agree with you if the other 99% was minecraft.

But that wasn't the question.

18. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

Don't start a shitstorm. No one wants that. I'm sure his games are better than yours though :p

19. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

No, it can't, but it has enough power to not bottleneck my GTX 970 in everything but BeamNG. So then again, only makes a difference 1% of the time for me. I don't think 1% of my gaming time is worth £200.

20. Jacksonb

Jacksonb
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice