1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Camparison of the Original Car Deformation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by msurf15, Nov 13, 2014.

1. msurf15

msurf15
    Expand Collapse

Hello Forum people :)

Today I decided to do a test on all the original cars in the game. All the cars I tested where from the original Alpha release. The T75 was not included nor was the sunburst. I carried out a head-on collision with a wall at an approximate speed of 75-80 KM/h or 45-50 mph. These screens will be comparing the way they deform and look after each crash. Each car will be given a score out of ten (higher being better and lower being not good). This is merely to compare and marvel at the beauty of BeamNG. These pictures are NOT in the highest resolution and lighting because my computer lags pretty bad with higher settings.

IBISHU COVET:

Covet Inside view.PNG covet side view.PNG Covet top view.jpg
    As you can see the covet took the 80km (50mph) crash pretty well. The front of the car crushed in about 2 feet which took away most of the energy. The cab sustained minor and in places major damage. The front left wheel bulged the wheel well causing it to go through floor boards and hit the pedals. Both the passenger door and the drivers door sustained damage as well.
    81/2/10
    GAVRIL GRAND MARSHAL:
    Grand Marshal Inside view.PNG Grand Marshal Side view.PNG grand Marshal Top view.PNG
    The Gavril Grand Marshal plowed into the wall at 50mph. The whole front of the sedan was destroyed yet the cabin contained only minor damages including some damage to the floorboards and the dashboard. The drivers door was slightly damaged and the windshield, drivers window, and passengers window were shattered.
    Total score: 9/10
    D-SERIES PICKUP:
    D-series Inside View.PNG D-series Side view.PNG D-series Top view.PNG
    The Gavril Pickup handled the head-on collision quite well. The front end was smashed but again the cab sustained only minor damage to the dash, passenger door and the drivers door.
    Total score: 8/10
    GAVRIL H-SERIES VAN:
    H-series Inside view.PNG H-series Side view.PNG H-series Top view.PNG
    This van was smashed almost all the way up to the windshield. The left front wheel was starting to hit the wheel well. Again both the front doors were damaged and the windshield and the dash sustained moderate damage.
    Total score: 8/10
    GAVRIL H-SERIES CARGO BOX UPLIFT:
    H-series Cargobox Uplift Inside view.PNG H-series Cargobox Uplift Side view.PNG H-series Cargobox Uplift Top view.PNG
    The large moving truck didn't take the crash to well. Both the driver door and the passenger door were damaged heavily and the floor of the cab was damaged beyond repair. The front end of the truck was smashed all the way into the windshield. The drive train was severely damaged and the underside frame was heavily damaged. Without airbags the driver and/or passenger would be I injured.
    Total score: 5/10
    BRUCKEL MOONHAWK:
    Moonhawk Inside view.PNG Moonhawk Side view.PNG Moonhawk Top view.jpg
    Again the heavy Moonhawk took most of the damaged on the front end and minimized damage to the cabin. The doors were damaged and the front left tire was punctured and ripped off of its axle.
    Total score: 9/10
    IBISHU PIGEON:
    Ds Modded Pigeon Inside view.PNG DS modded  Pigeon Side view.PNG DS Modded Pigeon Top view.PNG
    (The original Pigeon wasn't loading correctly so I used DS's modded Pigeon.) Both front wheels popped off on impact and with the hard panels damage was minimized to the front end. It could be repaired but with a high cost. Damage to the cabin was minimized to little or no damage.
    Total score: 10/10
    CIVETTA BOLIDE:
    Civetta Inside view.PNG Civetta Side view.PNG Civetta Top view.PNG
    The fast sports car hit 50mph with ease and the results were quite surprising. The force of the impact went toward the roof and the cab sustained minor damages. The roof was heavily damaged and the front end was crunched up to almost the windshield.
    Total score: 7/10

CARS TESTED:
    (not in any particular order)
    [SUB]- Gavril Grand Marshal -
    - Gavril D-Series (manual) -
    - Cargo Box Uplift -
    - Regular H-series Van -
    - Bruckell Moonhawk -
    - Ibishu Covet -
    - Ibishu Pigeon (The one-wheeled bird was acting up so I used DS's Modded Four-wheeled Pigeon with A Five-liter V8) -
    - Civetta Bolide -[/SUB]

Courtesy of The Department of BeamNG Highway Safety :rolleyes:

- Msurf15 -​

2. Kinect

Kinect
    Expand Collapse

Nice info... You should open the group for this :)

3. msurf15

msurf15
    Expand Collapse

Thank you :)

Haha been here a while... I should probably know how to dot that :eek:

4. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Let me see... half the damage we would see with a 45% overlap test which sounds about right, cars deform roughly like their real life counterparts. Miracle what years of development will do. A pillar deformation is strange for all vehicles, its been irking me for months.

Congratulations on this thread. We needed it so much :)

#4 Hati, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  5. Again_Dejavu

Again_Dejavu
    Expand Collapse

How have your tweaks been going?

6. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

They're more educational than successful. Alright I guess. Its tricky, how do I get the A pillar to remain straight in a normal crash without making it artificially too strong, yet keep it so the roof structure is strong enough to push the B pillar inwards like a real car? Thats hard work.

You know how a car is built, right? The pillars aren't solid. Its corrugated metal like cardboard. When you bend cardboard you can find you can actually flex it along the corrugations as with a car. But deform it too far and you get a kink where the corrugations collapse. Turns that part into a hinge. This means that the A pillar normally retains it's original shape everywhere apart from where the kink would normally form. Beautiful images of that here. Look at that kink in the A pillar. Should also tell the developers the best way to simulate cracks on a windscreen due to deformation. You generate them from the point of flexure... not retexture the whole windscreen. The A pillar snaps the glass.

Hyundai_i10_360x270.jpg
    CrashFailure.jpg

Yet in BeamNG the car's pillars behave like they're solid metal and bend uniformly when flexed. Like a large solid bar, not a collection of corrugated plates. Compare that image with the covet above. You'll see the difference and the cabin deformation shown is roughly the same.

But I got this out of the covet

Moddedcovet.jpg

Improvement... but it hasn't forced the B pillar inward yet.

#6 Hati, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  7. Again_Dejavu

Again_Dejavu
    Expand Collapse

Huh. I can definitely see how that'd be hard to simulate. I do see the improvement already though, keep it up.

8. msurf15

msurf15
    Expand Collapse

This is really interesting.. nice work :).... I was watching a lot of car tests and whatnot on youtube and I can see where it can be really pretty hard to simulate this corrugated plate thing. (which btw soared waaaay over my head :eek:)

- - - Updated - - -

I feel so... so loved :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice